• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Official September CoroCoro Discussion Thread -- Mega Evolutions, New Pokémon, More!

How do you feel about the Mega Evolutions?

• Total voters

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
Years
Maybe, but Normal/Ground doesn't scream "Mega" for me.

Well going from Normal to Normal/Ground would be something. And there are plenty of powerful moves that could get super-boosted by Mega form like Earthquake and Earth Power.
Unless it gets a double change.... Ground and something else.
Normal itself doesn't really fit 'mega'

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 11, 2024
I wonder if they will allow non-flying pokemon to hop in the back of flying pokemon and let them participate in flying battles, like a cooperative/tag battle.

Probably kangaskhan mega evolution of attacking twice will make the second attack with half the power of the first one, but will allow to use the same move with different targets or two different moves with one target or probably both; who knows.

Talking about mega stones and post game achievements; maybe they will bring the medal system or an achievement record like in mystery dungeon or something similar to keep track on your achievements during gameplay (this makes me wonder if they will allow us to have a menu option that allows people to listen to the game soundtrack, there was one in the MD explorers of tthe sky).

Years
I am VERY relieved we are limited to one Mega. It is almost like that will be our signature pokemon, distinct from the rest. But honestly, this only works if all fully evolved pokemon get one. If not, I probably won't bite.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I wonder if they will allow non-flying pokemon to hop in the back of flying pokemon and let them participate in flying battles, like a cooperative/tag battle.

Nope. They have to be Flying or have Levitate to participate. If they aren't or don't have, then they cannot participate. From initial response not all Flying/Levitating Pokemon can participate either. They said there were some more restriction but never went into detail iirc. We'll know when the games come out though.

I am VERY relieved we are limited to one Mega. It is almost like that will be our signature pokemon, distinct from the rest. But honestly, this only works if all fully evolved pokemon get one. If not, I probably won't bite.

They did say that not all the Pokemon will be getting some.

Like I've said before we can pretty much rule out those that already have Form Changes since Mega Pokemon are also Form Changes.

Keldeo, Meloetta and others like Cherrim who mostly change while in battle seem like they'd conflict with a Mega Form. Those with temporary changes like Rotom, Shaymin, Deoxys conflict as you can change the forms outside of battle needing to create multiple Mega Forms for the pokemon which I don't see happening. The you have Battle Item forms for Genesect, Arceus, and Giratina which I again don't see happening.

Other than Pokemon who already have Form Changes, a few gimmick Pokemon I can't see getting Mega Forms, Ditto, Smeargle, Zoroark. Two of them defeat the point of the Mega Form Gimmick and one is an attack gimmick.

I see maybe 20 to 30 Pokemon getting Mega Forms and I feel as if I'm being too generous with this. I think its going to be a small collection and not a large amount.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Commenting on Kangaskhan's new ability:

Will it do an accuracy/Evasion/Crit check for both sets of attacks? If so that can be a potential weakness in the ability itself. If it has to do Accuracy/Evasion checks twice, that means that one of the two attacks can miss as well as the multi hit attacks....can Kanga learn any? For Multi hit attacks, the first can hit twice and the second hit three times or completely miss as well.

As it stands, even if it can hit twice its really not that different from doubling the power of the attack or stat like Huge Power does of Physical Pokemon. When you hit twice you can have the chance to miss twice as well.

As others said, the baby could also hit for half power, and they may even put restrictions like how Multi targeting attacks lose power when in Tag, Double and Triple battles.

DamienHelvian

Years
Commenting on Kangaskhan's new ability:

Will it do an accuracy/Evasion/Crit check for both sets of attacks? If so that can be a potential weakness in the ability itself. If it has to do Accuracy/Evasion checks twice, that means that one of the two attacks can miss as well as the multi hit attacks....can Kanga learn any? For Multi hit attacks, the first can hit twice and the second hit three times or completely miss as well.

As it stands, even if it can hit twice its really not that different from doubling the power of the attack or stat like Huge Power does of Physical Pokemon. When you hit twice you can have the chance to miss twice as well.

As others said, the baby could also hit for half power, and they may even put restrictions like how Multi targeting attacks lose power when in Tag, Double and Triple battles.

Well, I did mention something earlier, about maybe if the Mom misses, then the baby doesn't even get a chance to attack. Sort of like how Multi hit moves either hit multiple times, or not at all.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 11, 2024
Nope. They have to be Flying or have Levitate to participate. If they aren't or don't have, then they cannot participate. From initial response not all Flying/Levitating Pokemon can participate either. They said there were some more restriction but never went into detail iirc. We'll know when the games come out though.

I know, I was just saying that it would be nice if they add a mode where flying pokemon can carry smaller pokemon for sky battles, like in the anime; maybe it will come for future generations since sky battles are new and some test must be done before adding more complex features.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I've always wanted Kangaskhan to be given a unique ability that allowed the baby to somehow participate, although my idea was automatically giving substitute for 25%HP the moment you switch in. To me, this is the perfect example of what I hope Megas will bring to the metagame: an opportunity for low tier pokemon, in this case a "PU" pokemon, that need a boost in battle yet either can't evolve further (Ampharos) or already seem in appearance like they're fully evolved (Absol).

This is even more broken than Huge Power Mawile. >.> Double Fake Out...Sucker Punch that can break through sub, sturdy and sash...2 Helping Hands for a teammate. Scizor/Breloom + Technician + 2 Helping Hands = disgusting priority.
We haven't even seen the 6th generation metagame, so we can't call anything broken yet. This reminds me of back when people were saying things like no-weakness Spiritomb, Prankster Whimsicott, Zoroark, and Magic Bounce Espeon were going to be OP without any futher knowledge.

But let's say hypothetically Mega Kangaskhan was in Black/White OU. She's only 90 base speed, tied with Lucario, so quite a lot can outspeed and revenge kill her.You cannot hold choice scarf or salac berry because you're already holding a mega stone, not to mention you're unable to hold any other strength-boosting item. I imagine that 6th gen will be even more offensively paced than the last generation, so relatively speaking, even more pokemon will be able to counter her.

Sorry to all those who hate overly competitive talk, but I don't think a person can really claim that something's broken without considering things more broadly than just "we've never seen this before."

DamienHelvian

Years
Talking about mega stones and post game achievements; maybe they will bring the medal system or an achievement record like in mystery dungeon or something similar to keep track on your achievements during gameplay (this makes me wonder if they will allow us to have a menu option that allows people to listen to the game soundtrack, there was one in the MD explorers of tthe sky).

There already was a Medal system introduced in B2/W2, which they might very well carryover into X and Y. I thought it was a pretty good idea, although there seemed to be WAYYYY too many medals, some of which can be unobtainable by some people. Such as trade and link medals for people who don't have anyone to connect to wirelessly or by infrared.

You know, this does bode well for one pokemon in particular, Elektross. It has levitate AND it's electric, meaning, it can take down flying types. It also has a pretty wide movepool, with fire and dragon type moves in it, to face dragons, and flying-steel like Skarmory.

DamienHelvian

Years
I've always wanted Kangaskhan to be given a unique ability that allowed the baby to somehow participate, although my idea was automatically giving substitute for 25%HP the moment you switch in. To me, this is the perfect example of what I hope Megas will bring to the metagame: an opportunity for low tier pokemon, in this case a "PU" pokemon, that need a boost in battle yet either can't evolve further (Ampharos) or already seem in appearance like they're fully evolved (Absol).

We haven't even seen the 6th generation metagame, so we can't call anything broken yet. This reminds me of back when people were saying things like no-weakness Spiritomb, Prankster Whimsicott, Zoroark, and Magic Bounce Espeon were going to be OP without any futher knowledge.

But let's say hypothetically Mega Kangaskhan was in Black/White OU. She's only 90 base speed, tied with Lucario, so quite a lot can outspeed and revenge kill her.You cannot hold choice scarf or salac berry because you're already holding a mega stone, not to mention you're unable to hold any other strength-boosting item. I imagine that 6th gen will be even more offensively paced than the last generation, so relatively speaking, even more pokemon will be able to counter her.

Sorry to all those who hate overly competitive talk, but I don't think a person can really claim that something's broken without considering things more broadly than just "we've never seen this before."

Stats, don't always matter. With various natures, each boosting stats, including speed, and this new Super Training, pokemon that lack speed but have great power, will no longer be at such a loss. Most trainers who take advantage of EV training, will rid their pokemon of their bad qualities. My own Lucario has a speed high enough to defeat most high-speed dragons.

And I know it sounds, bad/op idea, but it'd be cool if they had a system for, hold-item shifting. Like, a backup item that takes the place of Mega stone after it's triggered. [I also think there needs to be a system anyway, swapping hold-items mid-battle]

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
You know, this does bode well for one pokemon in particular, Elektross. It has levitate AND it's electric, meaning, it can take down flying types. It also has a pretty wide movepool, with fire and dragon type moves in it, to face dragons, and flying-steel like Skarmory.

If Elektross isn't one of the Pokemon with Levitate that isn't allowed to participate. Remember I said, when they announced it (initial talk about it) they said not all Flying and Levitating Pokemon would be able to participate. There are some obvious exclusions on both sides Flying type and Levitaters. Tynamo's line is one of the Levitaters that I don't expect to be allowed. Doduo is one of the flying types I don't expect to see allowed.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I missed that part of the news about only being allowed one mega, so thank you for informing me. :) I'm really happy for this too; This, along with megas being battle-only, greatly improve my reception.

There's more than 300 different evolutionary families, including legendaries. I do not believe that releasing all at once would be practical. I find it more likely that they would wait to introduce a bunch of mega possibilities for the 3rdversion/sequel and for events.

Alas, I wish they would first focus on giving pokemon that need improvements, such as Ampharos and Butterfree, and focus later on hyping events for megas for things which are already really powerful, such as Lucario.

DamienHelvian

Years
If Elektross isn't one of the Pokemon with Levitate that isn't allowed to participate. Remember I said, when they announced it (initial talk about it) they said not all Flying and Levitating Pokemon would be able to participate. There are some obvious exclusions on both sides Flying type and Levitaters. Tynamo's line is one of the Levitaters that I don't expect to be allowed. Doduo is one of the flying types I don't expect to see allowed.

I guess that is a good point. Most likely the accepted levitators won't be electric type, cause that would be completely unfair. I'm also sure that might include Emolga, as its species more represents a glider not a flier.
An idea that I just thought of for what levitators will be allowed, most likely Psychic types and ghost types. Probably nothing severely anti-flying, as most opponents you face mid-air will be flying type...give it a fairness.

Chr. Draco

Spatial Rift
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 11, 2024
how about cryogonal, it's ice type and has levitate; of course the most common counter would be a close combat flying pokemon and it has low defence, also scyther and gyarados, i have only seen them on ground/ninja fighting and water battling respectively, none of them flying, i don't think they will make part in flying battles.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I actually managed to find the Youtube video of them revealing Mega Kangaskhan.

Looks like Pokerex beat me to this actually, but I'll still post it again.

There is one thing I wanted to point out. It says "Hit 2 Times" So it looks as if the attack is treated as a multi hitting attack rather than a regular attack. So it'll have the same restrictions as a multi hit attack I believe...and maybe the benefits.

pokerex

I'm awesome
Years
I actually managed to find the Youtube video of them revealing Mega Kangaskhan.

Looks like Pokerex beat me to this actually, but I'll still post it again.

There is one thing I wanted to point out. It says "Hit 2 Times" So it looks as if the attack is treated as a multi hitting attack rather than a regular attack. So it'll have the same restrictions as a multi hit attack I believe...and maybe the benefits.

ah good that you post it again, because nobody seemed to notice how much that second hit actually did. it does at least half of what the mother did. and it's probably going to be able to do even more', you just couldn't see it because the conkeldurr got to 0 HP

Back