• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Let's see... Pokemon Fallout is still going strong, though we're currently small. Here's basically everything you could ever want to know!~ ...except the rules and more info on the settings and stuff like that, which you can find on the RP's OOC thread here: Pokemon Fallout (OOC/SU)

How Combat Works
Spoiler:

Plot
Spoiler:

Who are you?
Spoiler:

To summarize, Pokemon Fallout is an extreme sandbox RP where your character, a human fused with the spirit of a pokemon which grants them a part pokemon appearance and pokemon powers, has the power in their hands to change the world as they see fit. The only thing standing in their way? Others like them, called pokespirit wielders. The RP takes place in Sinnoh, approximately a century after pokemon have vanished off the face of the earth, resulting in the death of most of humanity which had simply depended far too much on pokemon. There are no levels and you have extreme flexibility in how you can customize your characters. A standard move limit of 6 is set, but even that is flexible so long as it is not deemed godmodding whilst I review your SU.

There are a number of NPC 'bosses' that are considered the major mortal power holders, all with different ideals, personalities, and of course pokemon spirits. The RP ends when the world is changed for better or worse in a fittingly irreversible way. You could purge the earth of the remaining humans, or you could fight to suppress those that would do so whist appealing to the lord thy god Arceus for more help. You could also attempt to purge the world of the 'pokemon liberating' virus, which still contaminates the very air you breath. Your motives are your own and there is no linear plot to push you along. One thing is for sure though; survival will not be guaranteed in a world where humanity has devolved into a amoral state where only those willing to force their way to survival do so.

Should you choose your own direction however, you will have your very own Yellow to help guide you with NPC characters and help as needed. (Complete with free lifetime warranty should you damage your Yellow using her as a blunt weapon in combat.)

Advertising aside, I thought up a topic that... y'know, actually warrants a discussion instead of just a question to be answered. (I'll post the answer to my own topic later.)

How long does it normally take you to write posts? Why do you think it takes you as long as it does? Do you feel like you post too slowly or too quickly? What could you do to increase the frequency of your posting, theoretically? Got any advice for others on how to handle their posting habbits?

Last edited:

|Equinox|

Going on a hiatus :'(
Years
How long does it normally take you to write posts? Why do you think it takes you as long as it does? Do you feel like you post too slowly or too quickly? What could you do to increase the frequency of your posting, theoretically? Got any advice for others on how to handle their posting habbits?

I'm kinda a slow writer. An average post takes me around 20-30 minutes? I'm not pretty sure since it differs, really. Some people can make a gigantic post in just 15 xd I guess I'm slower because I always try making the sentences sound better after writing them out. I always try polishing the posts to make it look an also sound good.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years

Anything from 15 minutes to an hour and a half, depending on what I want to do and how distracted I get. Sometimes, if I have to write something that requires a lot of thought (like battling - not only do we have to write it but choreograph it in our heads which can be exhausting), I'll take longer. Dialogue on the other hand, comes pretty quickly.

I believe that I am somewhere in between, but that it also depends on the role play. If I'm involved in dialogue then I'll post quicker to keep it flowing, and if it's more solo stuff then I'll go slower, matching the pace. I think that's a fairly good way to do it, but then I could be wrong. XD

For others... Quality over quantity for sure, but don't feel pressured to write a massive post, even if people are talking about how they've just written a X,000 word one. Post when you want, but try to think about whether you really need to post. If your character has nothing to do, get them doing something but make it interesting - insert their persona into everything they do. You might find you have loads more to say about them, and you might even learn something too.

... Those are my two cents anyhow. Good question Yellow, I always try to come up with stuff but it's always too generic and not as thought provoking.

ShinyDiamond

[b]The Other Promise[/b]
Years

It takes me about 15 minutes to 2 hours to write a post. Mostly 'cause there are other stuff I'm doing in my life. Definitely too slowly, since I try hard to think what I should include in my post. Don't know how I can increase the frequency of my posting, theoretically, whatever that means. No advice, sorry.

for him.

I'm trash.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023

For me, it really depends on the post by the gm or the post of the person who I plan to interact with and my muse. Sometimes I have the muse, but I have so little to work with I take a while to decide what to do. At other times I have enough to write a post, but I don't have the muse to write something interesting and there are times where I am able to write them pretty quickly because I have the muse and the information from the previous post. I don't really care for how fast or slow I reply; I really care about the quality of my posts and often feel self-conscious because of the other rpers.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Conquest Update

I'VE POSTED THE RP, NOW IT'S UP TO SKYMIN!

• It will be in the OOC section, titled "Sacred Fire, Divine Water [OOC/SU] [T]"
  • I POSTED IT!!
  • Any Questions?

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
.....And in more important news, the time has come around and nominations for the Second Quarter of the Roleplay Awards are quickly drawing to a close! So get your nominations in as soon as you can, and may the odds be ever in your favour!

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Hm... Will my RP still be eligible for some of the time-restricted RPs for the next awards? Considering that it might be out just as the RPA's are ending.

|Equinox|

Going on a hiatus :'(
Years
Maybe it'll have to be in the new quarter (: I'm also planning to launch Pokemon Reversal by the end of the month, so it'll be in the next quarter by the time I start it :3

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Maybe it'll have to be in the new quarter (: I'm also planning to launch Pokemon Reversal by the end of the month, so it'll be in the next quarter by the time I start it :3

I meant that, if it will be open for all of the votes in next quarter, or whether it'll be restricted from some of them because of the time it came out.

-

On a totally random note,

I post an advertisement on here for my RP, and it's quickly followed by 4 or 5 other people advertising their own.

Why does this make me think of a stock market, where everyone's just trying to yell louder than everyone else to get what they want? XD

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years

I meant that, if it will be open for all of the votes in next quarter, or whether it'll be restricted from some of them because of the time it came out.

-

On a totally random note,

I post an advertisement on here for my RP, and it's quickly followed by 4 or 5 other people advertising their own.

Why does this make me think of a stock market, where everyone's just trying to yell louder than everyone else to get what they want? XD

Maybe because the world doesn't revolve around you and there actually are other people around.....

On a more relevant point, who would be interested in a semi-journey, semi-mission based RP set in the Orre region?

The idea sounds interesting, would it follow along the same gameplay/storyline or would you have a different idea altogether?

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Maybe because the world doesn't revolve around you and there actually are other people around.....

Wow... Maybe you could stop being completely biased and infusing your hatred for me into every comment you make? It's annoying, and I see no valid reason for you to do it.

My post was meant as a simple analysis, jokingly even. I've accepted the fact that I'm not the only one here. Maybe you should learn that people respond well to respect, instead of disgraceful and unnecessary retorts.

tl;dr: Go ask your parents what being polite is, and how to have manners.

Now, with that ugly conversation out of the way...

Maybe we should initiate some sort of "Common Courtesy / Etiquette Law" enforced where everyone needs to have some form of respect when posting on threads, whether it be OOC or RPDT. This, of course, excludes constructive criticism. The constructive criticism needs to be, obviously, constructive, instead of blatant rudeness. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022

Wow... Maybe you could stop being completely biased and infusing your hatred for me into every comment you make? It's annoying, and I see no valid reason for you to do it.

My post was meant as a simple analysis, jokingly even. I've accepted the fact that I'm not the only one here. Maybe you should learn that people respond well to respect, instead of disgraceful and unnecessary retorts.

tl;dr: Go ask your parents what being polite is, and how to have manners.

Now, with that ugly conversation out of the way...

Maybe we should initiate some sort of "Common Courtesy / Etiquette Law" enforced where everyone needs to have some form of respect when posting on threads, whether it be OOC or RPDT. This, of course, excludes constructive criticism. The constructive criticism needs to be, obviously, constructive, instead of blatant rudeness. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Roleplayer's Etiquette 101

Stop being so sensitive.

And as to your previous question, if your RP IC begins anytime after the 1st of June (since posting the OOC doesn't technically qualify as being active), then it would qualify for nominations in the next quarter, given that it is still active when the time comes around for nominations.

Now give me my most Helpful nomination.

Also, you are all losers and I am awesome.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Roleplayer's Etiquette 101

Stop being so sensitive.

And as to your previous question, if your RP IC begins anytime after the 1st of June (since posting the OOC doesn't technically qualify as being active), then it would qualify for nominations in the next quarter, given that it is still active when the time comes around for nominations.

Now give me my most Helpful nomination.

Also, you are all losers and I am awesome.

Clear sarcasm like that is acceptable, and hilarious.

It wasn't a matter of being sensitive, it was more along the lines of "Wow, this is really disrespectful behavior, maybe we should do something about it?"

Treat me with respect, and I'll do the same for you.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years
Spoiler:

Okay, now back to RP-related things... Has anyone ever taken a Mary-Sue/ Gary-Stu litmus test for a character? (A Sue/Stu is most well-known as a perfect character who is usually beautiful, talented etc. though there are other subtypes, some of which are listed here).

I think the lowest I've ever scored is about 16, though the highest is 60. It's sometimes amusing to test out characters in literature etc. as some of them score pretty high according to the test.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
This spoiler is for those who have been disrespectful, or those who seem to have very low opinions on people. Anyone may read, but I feel this must be said, lest we become savage monsters out to hate one another.

Spoiler:

ANYWAYS.

I've tried my best to never mary/gary any of my characters, though I've never seen a test for it. I go by feedback from others to make sure I don't cross any lines with my characters. Personally, I like characters that have more flaws than they have perfections.

And my question:

Is there any specific mindset that you go through when thinking up a new character?

What I mean is, how do you go about the character creation?

And my answer:

I usually have the basic idea of a character down by the time I finish reading the RP descriptions. "Is it a male or female? I think I'll make this character a late-teens male. He'll be sort of a 'bad boy', causing shenanigans for the other characters' grief. He has the power to breath fire from his mouth, but the downside is it will drastically drain his hunger; Blowing flames for about ten seconds and he'll die of starvation. Five seconds and he'll barely be able to stand, dizzy from hunger." Something along those lines.

I go by age and sex, followed by gimmick. The gimmick being what kind of character they are, like a bad boy, a quiet loner, an innocent little girl, or a girl with so much power she becomes completely unstable and tries to avoid everyone for their own good, trying to never use her powers. When she does use her powers, they very often (about 90% chance of failure) just backfire and cause her self-inflicted damage. The gimmick often includes the power, and by then I can pretty much come up with some major downsides to each one.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
Respect is earned, not given, do not immediately assume you deserve respect. Unless it's to do with Supervegeta since he is amazingly godly and I am irrevocably in love with him. I LOVE YOU SUPERVEGETA!

How long does it normally take you to write posts? Why do you think it takes you as long as it does? Do you feel like you post too slowly or too quickly? What could you do to increase the frequency of your posting, theoretically? Got any advice for others on how to handle their posting habits?

Could take anywhere between fifteen minutes and a week. It all depends on my course load from University and how many hours work decides to give me. Also my mood and mindset contribute to it, If I'm not in a good mood, I find it difficult to post. Probably, too slowly more than anything, but for me, life comes first, Roleplaying second, so whatever time I have left I try to devote to writing a post. Really, for me I'm happy with the frequency of my posting, it suits my lifestyle and the roleplays I am in.

Don't spam, don't try and be a mary-sue/stu and just do whatever suits you. If someone expects you to post every hour, and you can only do everyday, the don't exert yourself too much, however if you post too infrequently, then that does become a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back