The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Reload this Page [Tutorial] A Solution to Your Hacking Tools Showing Strange Values

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Post Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 28th, 2013 (12:52 PM). Edited June 1st, 2013 by Reisen.
Reisen's Avatar
Reisen Reisen is offline
Crystal Tier
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 30.46°N 128.92°E
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 3,103
Send a message via Skype™ to Reisen
First of all, I didn't exactly know where to put this, so I put it in the Tutorials section.
More and more people have been coming up with questions about their ROM editors showing random hex values, or not even being able to function altogether. Lower down the page is a collection of screenshots that exhibit this. If you are getting a Read/Write permission error or File Not Found error, it is probably because of the fact that your ROM is open in another program.

Understanding the Problem
Your computer was set up with traits incompatible with the hacking tool.
For example, I set up my computer in Japanese, so naturally, it would be in a Japanese encoding, instead of Unicode, which is used by machines set up in American English.

Fixing the Problem
The easiest way is to get on another computer and hope that it works. Of course, many of us can't get to a second computer.

So what do we do now?

Solution 1 (If you have programs that depend on your current system language encoding, choose this.)

Get Oracle VM VirtualBox (or just VirtualBox for sanity), and a regular Windows .ISO disk image, be it XP, Vista, or 7. Just make sure that your tool will actually run on any machine of that type.
Open VirtualBox, select a virtual machine, and set it up just like you would any regular computer.

After you are done setting it up, the easiest thing to do would be to put your tool and ROM on a flash drive from your actual computer, transfer the serial bus to the Virtual Machine, and run it from there. Now, if you don't have a flash drive, you could put the files in your Public Shared Folder on your local network.

I'm sorry for not providing links to VirtualBox or an .ISO image, as I question the acceptability of those on these fora.

If you have any questions about using a Virtual Machine, ask on this page, VM, or PM me.

Solution 2 (If all of your programs are in English anyway, choose this.)

Click the Start button, then Control Panel, then Clock, Language, and Region, and then Regional and Language Options.

Choose the Administrative tab, and under Language for non-Unicode programs (System Locale), click Change system locale and select your encoding.

Select the language, and restart your computer.


Old May 30th, 2013 (04:08 AM).
hackstar's Avatar
hackstar hackstar is offline
Check it out!!
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dhaka
Gender: Male
Nature: Bashful
Posts: 155
There are other many old tools which has bug too.
Do not waste your time by seeing my signature.
Old May 30th, 2013 (01:39 PM).
Reisen's Avatar
Reisen Reisen is offline
Crystal Tier
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: 30.46°N 128.92°E
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 3,103
Send a message via Skype™ to Reisen
Originally Posted by hackstar View Post
There are other many old tools which has bug too.
Of course. But we don't want to get repetitive, do we?

Four examples is enough to me.
Old May 30th, 2013 (05:02 PM).
HidoranBlaze's Avatar
HidoranBlaze HidoranBlaze is offline
Join Date: Apr 2013
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 247
I think xYggdrasill is referring to changing the system locale in windows.
this apparently changes the computer so that it can use unicode (or non-unicode, depending on the default system locale). This does help with fixing advance text and other tools, as i've noticed, but it might also screw around with the non-unicode programs after the default system locale is changed to a locale that uses unicode
so if you're not worried about your non-unicode programs getting screwed, then i guess this is a good method to use.
Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are UTC -8. The time now is 12:16 PM.

About Us
© 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.

All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / Poké PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator. Header artwork by Jordanice of deviantART.

Social Media
If you would like to stay up-to-date with us on the go, when we're down, or other such things, follow us on social media sites--most notibly Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus--by clicking on the links provided.

Design presented by Peitharchia. Special thanks to Hiroshi Sotomura and Ausaudriel.