• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Team Questions (and Incomplete Team Help)

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
New Problem

New problem. I have it ev trained to 6 Hp (i think) 250ish Sp atk and Spd 252.

Before I completed my EV training leveling up twice I have a Sp atk +5 and +4 respectively, The next 2 levels up +4 and +3 Sp atk raised respectively.

However on the latter 2 level ups my speed when +4 and +3 respectively. Does the amount of addition amounts of stats average out between the two or Did I do something wrong? I would think that I would be getting +4 and +5s or more when ev training but dont seem to be doin it right.

Thoughts?

Latest Level up +4 sp atk +3 spd

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
New problem. I have it ev trained to 6 Hp (i think) 250ish Sp atk and Spd 252.

Before I completed my EV training leveling up twice I have a Sp atk +5 and +4 respectively, The next 2 levels up +4 and +3 Sp atk raised respectively.

However on the latter 2 level ups my speed when +4 and +3 respectively. Does the amount of addition amounts of stats average out between the two or Did I do something wrong? I would think that I would be getting +4 and +5s or more when ev training but dont seem to be doin it right.

Thoughts?

Latest Level up +4 sp atk +3 spd

You didn't do anything wrong. That's how natural stat gains happen when EV training. That, or you finished EV training already.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
If you already finished your EV training then not.
If you did not, then EVs will be spread quicker so you will probably see bigger boost in stats.

Ok. Ive been getting bi-polar results. couple levels i get +2, +3, now couple of levels are +4 and +5. I am guessing its all random again. Cant really control it right?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Nope, that's natural stat gain happening post-EV training.

Ok. Im glad to know that I am properly training the pokemon. I was worried I was doin it wrong

Charizard or Inferape? I am likely breeding both of them with a naive or the other +spd -def cant think of it. Any way would like thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Ok. Im glad to know that I am properly training the pokemon. I was worried I was doin it wrong

Charizard or Inferape? I am likely breeding both of them with a naive or the other +spd -def cant think of it. Any way would like thoughts.

If you're using a Sun team, Charizard is most likely the best choice because of Solar Power boosting its Special Attack to insane levels in sunlight, but then again, this type of Charizard is only available as a DW event (male-only, unfortunately, so you can't pass the ability down by breeding it), which means you'll have to stick to Blaze Charizard, who isn't very good nowadays. In that case, Infernape is the better option because it's a bit faster than Charizard and has a very wide movepool, allowing it to run mixed, physical and special sets effectively.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
If you're using a Sun team, Charizard is most likely the best choice because of Solar Power boosting its Special Attack to insane levels in sunlight, but then again, this type of Charizard is only available as a DW event (male-only, unfortunately, so you can't pass the ability down by breeding it), which means you'll have to stick to Blaze Charizard, who isn't very good nowadays. In that case, Infernape is the better option because it's a bit faster than Charizard and has a very wide movepool, allowing it to run mixed, physical and special sets effectively.

Is it possible to breed egg moves of Poison spikes and Stealth rock in the same pokemon? Im rebooting the team with new ferroseed and pinco with each of those respectively wonder if either one can have both.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is it possible to breed egg moves of Poison spikes and Stealth rock in the same pokemon? Im rebooting the team with new ferroseed and pinco with each of those respectively wonder if either one can have both.

"Toxic Spikes," you mean. Before you continue, Ferroseed and Pineco can't breed together; Ferroseed belongs to the Plant and Mineral egg groups, while Pineco belongs to the Bug egg group.

And yes, it's possible for Forretress to have both Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes at once; you just need to use the Stealth Rock TM on Pineco/Forretress in Gen IV, then transfer it to Gen V, or wait until B2/W2, when Stealth Rock is available as a move tutor.

For the sake of convenience, it might be a better idea to use Spikes + Toxic Spikes on Forretress.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
which pokemon are best bred fastest to get spikes, toxic spikes, and stealth rock all on one pokemon.

Also what would be suggested move set for frillish?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
which pokemon are best bred fastest to get spikes, toxic spikes, and stealth rock all on one pokemon.

Also what would be suggested move set for frillish?

What Ash493 said. In Gen V, it's possible to breed for a Pineco with Stealth Rock using a female Pineco and a male Dwebble/Crustle, but as I said, you're better off waiting for B2/W2, since Stealth Rock is available as a move tutor there. And it's not recommended to have all 3 entry hazards on one Pokemon because:
-Forretress becomes Taunt/setup bait
-You're forced to give up Rapid Spin or an attacking move (Gyro Ball for STAB, Earthquake to hit Steels and Volt Switch to escape Magnezone or give a teammate a free switch in, considering that Forretress is a very slow Pokemon) both of which are essential for Forretress.

Regarding Frillish/Jellicent, these sets are your best bets:
-Scald/Surf
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
-Taunt
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Scald
-Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/36 Def/220 SDef
Ability: Water Absorb

or
-Water Spout
-Shadow Ball
-Surf/Scald/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam/Giga Drain
Nature: Modest
EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
What Ash493 said. In Gen V, it's possible to breed for a Pineco with Stealth Rock using a female Pineco and a male Dwebble/Crustle, but as I said, you're better off waiting for B2/W2, since Stealth Rock is available as a move tutor there. And it's not recommended to have all 3 entry hazards on one Pokemon because:
-Forretress becomes Taunt/setup bait
-You're forced to give up Rapid Spin or an attacking move (Gyro Ball for STAB, Earthquake to hit Steels and Volt Switch to escape Magnezone or give a teammate a free switch in, considering that Forretress is a very slow Pokemon) both of which are essential for Forretress.

Regarding Frillish/Jellicent, these sets are your best bets:
-Scald/Surf
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
-Taunt
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe

or
-Scald
-Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/36 Def/220 SDef

or
-Water Spout
-Shadow Ball
-Surf/Scald/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam/Giga Drain
Nature: Modest
EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

Two things.

Can B2/W2 be transfered back to B/W?

Two Ive been breeding cursed body, is that an acceptable ability to use?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Two things. Can B2/W2 be transfered back to B/W? Two Ive been breeding cursed body, is that an acceptable ability to use?

Yes, B2/W2 can trade between the original B/W, but like before, you must have the first badge to do so.

Also, Cursed Body is viable on the first set I mentioned, but Water Absorb is preferred on the other two.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Yes, B2/W2 can trade between the original B/W, but like before, you must have the first badge to do so.

Also, Cursed Body is viable on the first set I mentioned, but Water Absorb is preferred on the other two.

Actually Water Absorb is the preferred ability on all sets. Having a Water immunity is better than having a 30% chance to disable a move imo.

WA > CB.

Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2012
need some help

I'm putting a team together, very slowly, as I learn. I have an idea for a suicide lead, but, I need to know how to get its health as high as possible. Do I need IVs or EVs and is there an item that promotes health growth? I've done some research and I don't fully understand IVs and EVs and can't seem to find any items that promote health gain, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Any and all help would be great.

I need at least three turns to utilize its move set. I was thinking 252 Health 252 attack and 6 in one of the defenses.

Move set on the edit..

Bronzong
EVs haven't been figured out yet but I want high hp and whatever is left split between its already decently high sp.d and def
nature undetermined/ I could go with calm/sassy/careful +sp.d with no damage to its defense
ability heatproof
item undetermined
stealth rock
undetermined/hypnosis/block
undetermined/dream eater/toxic
explosion

kind of a stall and suicide deal goin' on there

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2015
First I'll say that Bronzong, being slow, may not necessarily be ideal for a suicide lead due to its susceptibility to taunt. With the moveset you list, if it's taunted, it'll be forced to switch out or explode.

Nevertheless, I'll give you a quick primer on IVs and EVs. IVs are "individual values," and they are like "innate ability." In other words, they're set when a pokemon is either met in the wild or hatched from an egg. They range from 0-31, and at level 100, a pokemon with a 0 in an IV will have 31 fewer points in that stat than will a pokemon with an IV of 31. So at level 100, it's a 1:1 relationship.

EVs are "effort values," and they're what you get through training. You get specific effort values, in addition to experience, by defeating specific pokemon; you can see what effort values certain pokemon give by looking them up on e.g. serebii. For example, defeating a Magikarp, in addition to a bit of experience, always gives the pokemon that defeated it one speed EV.

Essentially, every pokemon can have 510 EVs total, with a max of 255 in any given stat, and every 4 EVs you put in a stat adds an extra 1 point to the stat at level 100. So a pokemon at level 100 with 80 EVs in a stat will have 20 more points in that stat than would the same pokemon with 0 EVs in the stat. Notice that 252 is the most you should put in any stat despite the limit of 255, because those extra three EVs are one short of increasing the stat. So if you have, say, 252 EVs in one stat, and 252 in another, four of the remaining 6 available EVs can be put into another stat to increase it by 1 point. The remaining 2 would simply be garbage.

So, to answer your question, to get the most HP possible, you should breed until you get as high of an HP IV as possible (look up breeding guides for how to do this; you might also want to go for a desirable nature, though there isn't one that increases HP), and then battle the pokemon needed so that it gets 252 HP EVs (plus whatever others you want). You can also give it HPUp's, which add 10 HP EVs every time. (but you can only give it 10 total) Health Wings, which you can get on the bridges where you meet Ducklett (west Unova) and Swanna (east Unova) do the same thing but by 1 EV every time, though there's no limit to how many you can give. Then just level it up to level 100 and you're done.

Good luck!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
To build on to what Soulred said, Bronzong is better off as a bulky supporter; it plays similarly to Ferrothorn, minus Leech Seed. Levitate is also the preferred ability because a Ground immunity is more important than losing a Fire weakness.

A suicide lead is a lead that gets hazards/support up as fast as possible before dying. Azelf, Aerodactyl, Froslass, Scolipede and Infernape are good roles for suicide leads:

Azelf:
-Stealth Rock
-Taunt
-U-turn
-Fire Blast/Psychic
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Focus Sash

or
-Stealth Rock
-U-turn
-Explosion