• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen More than 8 Gyms?

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
so i was just browsing the internet when i came across a meme of gary oak with 10 gym badges. as it turns out, in the anime there are more then 8 gym leaders but you only have to defeat 8 of them to move on to the elite 4. would you like for X and Y to have this? have 17 gym leaders (one for each type) and there'll be forks in your path. one will go to a town with lets say a flying gym leader while the other goes to the fire gym leader. then at any time in the game you can go back and battle with the gym leaders you missed. then maybe have a special prize if you beat them all. i think this would be a great way to add a little more content to the game. this could also keep the elite 4 from being to easy. the evil team could make an appearance in several towns. like both in the fire gym leaders town and in the flying and they won't go for the legendary pokemon until you've seen them in all the towns. that way you can't use a legendary to get though the elite 4 unless you're constantly going back to the fork and going the other way and by the time you did that, your pokemon would be high leveled enough to beat the elite 4 anyway.

Years
I like the idea
But I think it's difficult to make a story, where you have to enter 17 cities with gyms
Also the level of the gym leader should be on your level to have a fair and good fight
In BW2 you could also fight more gym leaders after the elite four, i hope also for this idea, but i don't think nintendo can handle/want to handle this
Also Pokemon went 17 years the same way about gym leaders, so i don't think they will change it

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
I like the idea
But I think it's difficult to make a story, where you have to enter 17 cities with gyms
Also the level of the gym leader should be on your level to have a fair and good fight
In BW2 you could also fight more gym leaders after the elite four, i hope also for this idea, but i don't think nintendo can handle/want to handle this
Also Pokemon went 17 years the same way about gym leaders, so i don't think they will change it

hmm... maybe make it so the gym leaders level will rise as you progress though the game? after you beat one gym leader, all of the other gym leaders will have their level raised a little. like after you beat your first gym leader with his level 8 pokemon, the one that you choose not to battle will raise its level to 12. then 17. then 21 and so on. that way if you go back to battle it after the elite 4, it'll be somewhere in the 60s instead of still being single digits.

Years
But the evolution level should be reached and so
I think it's more difficult than it seems
(okay Falkner and other gym leaders also didn't reach the lecel where there pokemons should evolve, but they are evolved)

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 27, 2023
1st Gym: Level 5-10
2nd Gym: Level 10-15
3rd Gym: Level 15-20
4th Gym: Level 20-25
5th Gym: Level 25-30
6th Gym: Level 30-35
7th Gym: Level 35-40
8th Gym: Level 40-45
9th Gym: Level 45-50
10th Gym: Level 50-55

10 gyms would make sense, then the Elite Four could be level 55-60

post-game, they'd all go up another five-ten levels and cap out around level 85

Because Red's team has a level 88 Pikachu and I hope he makes an appearance, but his team's levels are 11 higher then his HG/SS Team

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It would be really nice to see the player having to defeat 16 Gym Leaders instead of 8, that way it would make Pokémon X and Pokémon Y much longer than the previous games. And if there were 16 Gym Leaders... it would increase the chances of a Dark-type Gym Leader making an appearance.

Or it could go in the Gold/Silver/Crystal kind of style, where you battle 8 Gym Leaders in the region that you start in and then go into the region next door to battle 8 more Gym Leaders, then you find the Pokémon League in that region.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
That doesn't leave a lot of options for the E4 then as they'd probably have copies of the Gym's Pokemon. Nearly all the types wouldn't be that great. It would seem too repetitive with the E4 and Champion.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
That doesn't leave a lot of options for the E4 then as they'd probably have copies of the Gym's Pokemon. Nearly all the types wouldn't be that great. It would seem too repetitive with the E4 and Champion.

ah, well, maybe 12 would be better.

blue

gucci
Years
8 Gym's has always been the tradition with the exception of GSC/HGSS which was two sets of 8 gyms, there would be no reason to change it to a higher figure so I don't see it happening.

Years
I always liked the idea of having more than 8 gyms and having to choose which ones to battle. I thought that concept should have been explored more, particularly because it is mentioned for the Kanto region in the anime.

I guess as another option, since this was sort of done in Gen V, would be to have different gym leaders for X and Y. I thought it was cool that some towns looked different in the Gen V games, but imagine if the two games featured characters starting in different regions and crossing over? Certain regions might have specific gym leaders, and then when the games overlap there can be the same leaders for both games.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I always liked the idea of having more than 8 gyms and having to choose which ones to battle. I thought that concept should have been explored more, particularly because it is mentioned for the Kanto region in the anime.
The advantage the anime has over the games is that the anime isn't as restricted as the games are. They have the opportunity to explore and go off course to other areas and new gyms not incorporated into the actual games. While the games themselves need to keep the players on a direct path and storyline without giving us too much free reign to do whatever we wish and not skew the leveling system and order of events that take place in the plot.

While I'd like to see more than the traditional eight gym leaders and the option to choose which path we'd like to go down, I can see why they haven't explored that aspect as of yet.

Not to forget the golden rule, the games =/= the anime.

Last edited:
Years
it would be nice to have things a little bit like gen II i remember how excited when i beat the e4 and found out there was another set of gyms to take on :)
what they could do is set up like a path system where some gyms are mandatory and then you get to pick one of two paths of 5 gyms and you can do one path before the E4 and one path after.

Fenne-kun

//TheEternalSushi
Years
Personally, I don't think it will happen. There's always been 8 gyms and 8 gyms only (with the exception of Johto + Kanto which has a number of whooping 10+), and the games have always been different compared to the anime. Therefore, the chances of having more gyms would be slim. Plus, Game Freak would probably spend more time on other stuff than adding and programming an extra gym.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
A forked Gym path? Let's imagine it like this: After the first gym, there are two cities you can go to to find your next badge. After the badge of the city you picked is received, some in-game event disallows you to go to the other city and you continue on your journey. This way, it will seem like your making your own journey through the region and make your own story.

The gym/city will be then available again after the Pokemon league.

Fenne-kun

//TheEternalSushi
Years
Makes sense. I'd be happy if that DOES happen. We'll have to see if it does, then :D Seriously though, I like the idea of making our own decisions - the old games have always been too linear and limited before the Champion.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
No. I am perfectly certain that this would not happen. There have always been 8 gyms, and there always will be 8 gyms. More than 8 gyms would not make Pokemon what it is any longer. The feeling of the game will be very different and the storyline might get too draggy. Also, most people do not like change. Fans of the games would certainly not like the sudden change in something that has been very consistent throughout the many existing generations, and so would I.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
A forked Gym path? Let's imagine it like this: After the first gym, there are two cities you can go to to find your next badge. After the badge of the city you picked is received, some in-game event disallows you to go to the other city and you continue on your journey. This way, it will seem like your making your own journey through the region and make your own story.

The gym/city will be then available again after the Pokemon league.
So half the game cannot be explored before the E4? Imagine how many script barriers would have to go into place (unless for instance a rockslide occurs barring the way back and it's not cleaned up until after the E4).

Also, if a player visits both cities before going to either Gym, they can still Fly there. So your theory is immediately squashed.

Besides, GF would never prevent backtracking.

Cyclone

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Ah yea, I remember Gary Oak with his 10 badges..I wish the game would implement more gyms or actually offer an explanation as to how a Gym Leader is established in a town/city.

I mean, in just two years we see a couple of new Gym Leaders in Unova after the events of Black/White 1

Years
I like the idea of having more than 8 gyms. ten would be perfect. Another idea that would be cool would be if the games had different cities than the other, even though they are based in the same region. this would give the games the possibility of having more exclusive poke's and would give us in a sense 16 gyms in this gen. Plus it would make nintendo more money. which they love. What are you thoughts on this?

Back