• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Ruby hack: Pokemon Magikarps Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Pokémon Magikarps Adventures - Recognizing the Gyarados within.

-New LIVE Download at the Bottom-

Have you ever been fishing hoping to hook at least a tentercrul but face endless streams of magikarps, magikarp after magikarp. Magikarps as far as the eye can sea. Did you realize that when a magikarp faints, they can't get back to water. Without water, they can't breath all that well...

In this hack magikarps have become an endangered species, resulting in just 3 that remain; you may have guessed it already but, your starter Pokemon will be, no matter what you choose, a level 5 magikarp.

At first this seems like you will be doomed from the start, but everyone knows upon evolving it becomes a beast of a Pokemon... if you don't neglect it, abandoning it in a day care center while you walts off training some rubbish zigzagoon you found in the wild.

This hack was inspired by the generations of people that have hated on magikarps. Given that he is weak, has useless moves and hurts himself more then others, his potential as a Pokemon on a whole is... questionable. Magikarp has been mistreated over the years and has finally had enough. He wants to prove himself, that he is more capable than people give him credit for and that he can (given enough time) become amazing, almost even legendary... okay maybe not that far he still is only a magikarp after all.

Either way this hack will hopefully make players appreciate that their old rods can hook something big discussed as something small.

That's the basic story of the game, more will be added to it as the hack is developed.

EDIT:The story needed more of a touch up from the original stroy of ruby so here's what I come up with (let me know what you think):

You're an undercover agent who is there to find out where/why all the magikarps have gone. When you arrive at your new base you meet up with your superior who fills you in on your objective and the new leads that they have found out already. You are the last resort... For a bad reason though. It's why they didn't want to call you in. But since they lost their last agent for an unknown reason, that you'll find out soon enough, they had no other choice. Now you've got your mission you have to explore, talk to people and find the secrets of the Ancient Magikarps by training them. But, ah wait, there isn't a Pokémon game out there that doesn't have a main team to destroy... So who could possibly want to stop you saving the Magikarps? You probably didn't guess it so I'll just tell you: The Ignorant Hippies! Yep that's who will try to stop you from completing your mission. Because of their ignorance they can't see that you are trying to help the magikarp crisis and not make it any worse. They beleive that anyone who has a magikarp is going to sell it off for a very high price due to there not being a lot of them around.

On a side note: There will be a open beta release in 2 to 3 weeks but it will only be up to where ever I am in 2 to 3 weeks.

Screenshots:

Spoiler:

Banners Below - Feel free to use and support this hack!

Banner 1 Link:http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3290/195cf4188a3f4550ae2f9b8.png
195cf4188a3f4550ae2f9b8.png

Banner 2 Link:http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8289/bannerja.png
bannerja.png

Banner 3 Link: http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q531/AntiSpriteTheft/download3_zps265db10e.png
download3_zps265db10e.png

Feel free to use the banners, remember to link them back to this thread!

More to come as the hack progresses

So what'd you think? Any thoughts/questions? Even more ideas? All are welcome

The latest version includes more bug fixes and you can get to the second town with more areas to explore and slightly more people to talk to! ...It is still a beta though, so make sure you save fequently and report any bugs/game crashers. Either way share the game if you enjoyed it or recomend it or something... like add a banner to your signiture or something to show you suport it and have an easier way to get back to this thread!

EDIT: As promised here it is, the release of this not yet complete hack. Why not give you guys an inside look at to whats happening as it develops? But this early relase just means there will be bugs, so becareful and make sure to report any bugs you come across so I can fix them as soon as I can.

If you want to sugest an idea, don't hasitate to tell me!

Distrabution of a copy of this game is not allowed. If you wish to share the game in whatever way, just redirect it to either here or to the mediafire download.

So without further ado, here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?hontsirvt2gwsxx

Last edited:

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Um...A couple of thoughts.

1.I really like the idea of you putting shine on Magikarp. Like you, I believe everyone takes it as a joke, and even prefer ugly Feebas over it. This is a cool idea to hack but how far can you really go in terms of storyline is the Q.

2. My biggest thought. It says this hack was brought to the thread Yesterday, but why it only has 1 view on it and 0 comments? Do ppl just Hate the idea That Much?

3. Why is there a Lv1 Riolu AND Lv1 Lucario?

4.Is this hack serious or is it just a joke and I'm falling for it by being the Only person to comment on it lol.

Goodluck is you're serious and devoted about this hack. I'll certainly give it a try as soon as a release is available.

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
Um...A couple of thoughts.

1.I really like the idea of you putting shine on Magikarp. Like you, I believe everyone takes it as a joke, and even prefer ugly Feebas over it. This is a cool idea to hack but how far can you really go in terms of storyline is the Q.

2. My biggest thought. It says this hack was brought to the thread Yesterday, but why it only has 1 view on it and 0 comments? Do ppl just Hate the idea That Much?

3. Why is there a Lv1 Riolu AND Lv1 Lucario?

4.Is this hack serious or is it just a joke and I'm falling for it by being the Only person to comment on it lol.

Goodluck is you're serious and devoted about this hack. I'll certainly give it a try as soon as a release is available.
I think he's serious. The reason I think Lucario is lvl 1 was just to show he had his sprite or what not. And behind that fact that you're the first person to comment, I think you make these forums seem more populate than they actually are, like sure some hacks are really well know, but a lot of kids just don't see cool pictures so they won't like it. And don't worry about if this is a joke or not, this thread has 2 comments now.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
I think he's serious. The reason I think Lucario is lvl 1 was just to show he had his sprite or what not. And behind that fact that you're the first person to comment, I think you make these forums seem more populate than they actually are, like sure some hacks are really well know, but a lot of kids just don't see cool pictures so they won't like it. And don't worry about if this is a joke or not, this thread has 2 comments now.

Well at least Now it's getting more views since we commented. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

wilso

Grass Master
Years
love the idea of useing a werid pokemon for a starter btw i was looking back at a few things and found this
116kif6.png
maybe u could use it

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I may be wrong by first thinking that you clearly haven't thought about this through already. If Magikarp is endangered species and there are only three more left, why would the professor have all those three Magikarps and be willing to give one to you?
If there is a good explanation of this happening, it's of course okay and there is no bad thing about it but well, this just sounds strange according to it being endangered and all.

Overall though, I like the idea! This hack can turn out great if you implement stuff properly (and make Magikarp so that most players can't simply abandon it from the start).

Years
Thanks for all your feedback guys, but yeah, I am serious about this hack. And to answer your questions DarkRisingGirl:

1. To be fair when people catch a magikarp, they give it exp. share and leave it at the bottom of their party until it evolves, and on story terms it can go as far as to finding out why all of the magikarps are dying out.

2. I hope they wouldn't, or they just think it's a joke or something?

3. As Al3x said, it's purely to show you guys I've put them in the game, you will have to find Riolu on your own in the game.

Thanks, it's good to know I'll already have a beta tester at the ready. :)

PokemonMasters - I have changed the move set around so he now learns his moves in this order; tackle, fail and then splash.

Wilso - that does look like a great sprite to use, I was trying to find one the other day but no good ones came up, I'll integrate that one in when I can, cheers.

miksy91 - The reason the prof. has them all is to preserve them since (spoiler) they are the 3 last remaining 'ancient magikarps'! This meaning they are the stronger, faster and overall better versions of the ones you would find in the wild. He gives one to you so you can find out why/what has gone so wrong that all the magikarps have just died out.

And I have made it so that you can't just dump him in daycare and wait it out, but I have no idea how to make it so you can't put him in a PC yet (will look into this at a later date).

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Thanks for all your feedback guys, but yeah, I am serious about this hack. And to answer your questions DarkRisingGirl:

1. To be fair when people catch a magikarp, they give it exp. share and leave it at the bottom of their party until it evolves, and on story terms it can go as far as to finding out why all of the magikarps are dying out.

2. I hope they wouldn't, or they just think it's a joke or something?

3. As Al3x said, it's purely to show you guys I've put them in the game, you will have to find Riolu on your own in the game.

Thanks, it's good to know I'll already have a beta tester at the ready. :)

PokemonMasters - I have changed the move set around so he now learns his moves in this order; tackle, fail and then splash.

Wilso - that does look like a great sprite to use, I was trying to find one the other day but no good ones came up, I'll integrate that one in when I can, cheers.

miksy91 - The reason the prof. has them all is to preserve them since (spoiler) they are the 3 last remaining 'ancient magikarps'! This meaning they are the stronger, faster and overall better versions of the ones you would find in the wild. He gives one to you so you can find out why/what has gone so wrong that all the magikarps have just died out.

And I have made it so that you can't just dump him in daycare and wait it out, but I have no idea how to make it so you can't put him in a PC yet (will look into this at a later date).

So the starter Magikarp will be stronger and faster in terms of Stats, right? Also, since it's the starter Pokemon, I don't think it'll be cool to have the player just slap an exp.share on it and wait til it evolves into Gyarados. Since it is the "Ancient" Magikarp", at least make it battle ready as soon as it's given to you. You can give it Tackle, Ancient Power, Splash(Just because it wouldn't be a Magikarp without it) and some other random move. Maybe it can use Water Gun already since it's a superior karp.

Years
Indeed it already is and it was hoped that people would play through it as it came (without cheats and such) so there was more of a challenge. Yeah, I was wondering what other moves it could have and if it should learn more then 4 moves, since it still is only a magikarp after all.

wilso

Grass Master
Years
it could have dragon rage or bouce but that would be a bit op or maybe edit splash 2 do a bit of damge

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Wow, Magikarp has low statuses. It surely will be a challenge getting passed all those Wild Pokémon with Magikarp, seeing as Magikarp only knows Splash at that time and doesn't learn Tackle until later on.

Perhaps if you wish to make it a little easier for everyone, maybe you could include the starting Routes to be rainy so that Magikarp's Swift Swim ability activates.

This sounds like a very interesting ROM hack, surely something I would might as well give it a try after the first release has been posted.

blazerj13

Impossibly Possible~
Years
lol, when i first read this thread, i thought, wow, is this guy serious, and i proceeded to scroll down and saw you were XD. but in all seriosity, you should put more of a story into it then just why they're going extinct(karp salads XD). good luck, keep it up! cheers~

Years
AmazingCharizard - you know! He's so under-rated these days, I'll let you know when a release is available.

PokémonShinySilver - I've changed his move sets around so that he can actually deal some damage at level 5. Also hes ability isn't swift swim anymore - since it's an ancient magikarp I believed it needed a more 'electrifying ' ability to suit it's ancientness.

Saltsas - thank you, it shouldn't take that long to do, depending how fast I can work on the story of the game since the maps shouldn't need changing that much.

blazerj13 - haha yeah, this is what I mean when I say that people underestimate magikarps. :P And I'm working on it, just need to edit practically all the scripts to suit the story.

Circaoffire

Clueless Scripter :/
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2016
I feel like a lot of people aren't reading all the comments. I've read at least three saying he won't be able to do anything since he doesn't learn tackle 'til later. You obviously said he'd get tackle sooner. I see that you are keeping a lot of the story out from what you are saying ;p I also see a lot of potential for a fantastic story :D IF IF IF you want any idea help or at least to privately shoot me your ideas, just give me a pm. I'd be happy to spark some ideas with you to help out your story! Also, will you be including any antagonistic forces (like Team Rocket), or maybe a pokemon that eats the magikarp? What will the "bad guy" be?!?! :P

Critx

Is making Wi-Fi on Rom hacks
Years
Everyone knows Magickarp is the most powerful est....Even though it's Evolution sucks, there is a B boutton :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back