• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

scripting help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2013
sorry if this is in the wrong section.

at the moment im only able to edit scripts so my knowledge in scripting is limited, im wanting to learn how to script from scratch i found some tutorials on other sites which have been useful, but little confusing for the tutorials is either for editing the menu screen or making a class selection screen which has helped a little with what i want to do.

the thing i want to start with is to learn how to make a simple selection screen with say ten options that if you have enough points gained (which would be added via script call.) the option chosen would increase a specific variable.

for example my hero just completed a quest, as a reward the hero receives 1 point via script call the hero can then accesses the menu that distributes the points so in the menu would be for example

Cooking
Thievery
smithing
Chemistry

Then if i have enough points the hero can choose a option that will increase a variable predetermined to that option.

( just to be clear i don't want this script done for me what i would like however is to know were to look/begin or a little mentoring. so it is more specific to what i want to be able to do rather than being confused over a tutorial teaching me how to make a class selection screen which is kind of helpful but confusing since im not too sure what parts are relevant and what are not)

sorry if this is to vague or to much. im just not really to sure were to start.

Years
sorry if this is in the wrong section.

at the moment im only able to edit scripts so my knowledge in scripting is limited, im wanting to learn how to script from scratch i found some tutorials on other sites which have been useful, but little confusing for the tutorials is either for editing the menu screen or making a class selection screen which has helped a little with what i want to do.

the thing i want to start with is to learn how to make a simple selection screen with say ten options that if you have enough points gained (which would be added via script call.) the option chosen would increase a specific variable.

for example my hero just completed a quest, as a reward the hero receives 1 point via script call the hero can then accesses the menu that distributes the points so in the menu would be for example

Cooking
Thievery
smithing
Chemistry

Then if i have enough points the hero can choose a option that will increase a variable predetermined to that option.

( just to be clear i don't want this script done for me what i would like however is to know were to look/begin or a little mentoring. so it is more specific to what i want to be able to do rather than being confused over a tutorial teaching me how to make a class selection screen which is kind of helpful but confusing since im not too sure what parts are relevant and what are not)

sorry if this is to vague or to much. im just not really to sure were to start.

Like This:

Code:
def getMenu()
  default=1
  cmdwin=pbListWindow([],200)
  commands= ["Button 1", "Button 2"]
  ret=pbCommands2(cmdwin,commands,-1,default-1,true) 
  cmdwin.dispose
  if ret >= 0
    return commands[ret]
  end
  return -1
end

def function()
  chosen = getMenu()
  if (chosen == 1)
    # button 1 commands
  elsif (chosen == 2)
    # button 2 commands
  end
end

I might got the 1 and 2 wrong (might be 0 and 1)

Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2013
thank you for that, but looking at that im a little confused what does that bit of script do,my gess is that its just the options buttens but im not sure.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
This isn't a tutorial or a resource so I'm going to have to lock this. Post in the Essentials section or the main Game Development section if you need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back