• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How would you like to receive your starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So there's a thread discussing the starters but nothing speculating on how you'll receive them. How do you want to receive them this time around? Would you like it similar to B/W, where you were given them as a present? Or where you had to grab one to save someone? Or maybe like B2/W2 where you were given them by an assistant? Discuss your thoughts!

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Ohhh maybe to save someone or something! That would be kind of an epic way to have a starter. n__n Maybe if say, the bad guys came into the lab, all the pokemon in the lab were 'altered' in some way, except the three starter pokemon, and you'd have to choose one to save the lab?

Or something like that! Mmm, well, I'd like to receive a starter thaaaat breaks away from the traditional 'received from the professor/assistant/whoever else'.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I hadn't even really thought about this...

RSE were pretty good, since the choice had that air of emergency about it, and it dealt with the whole opening process well - wander around town first, then start to head out and BLAM - pick a pokemon and fight a battle and find out what it's all about just like that.

The more traditional process of being deliberately given one, then having your first fight be against a rival/friend is fine, but it's been done a lot of times now.

I did find the start of DPPt, where you basically just steal a pokemon and get away with it, to be sort of weird.

I'd say I'd most like to see it happen some way that will surprise me and satisfy me. I'm not sure what that way might be, since whatever it is, it'd surprise me. :D

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
What I'd like to see... is something like how Hugh got his starter... was from raising it from it's egg form.

I'd like to see something like that for the player, and just as soon as the player walks to where his Pokémon is, then it shows a silhouette of some shape (where you choose as either Chespin, Fennekin or Froakie) and then taking it with you. And that it would say something that you've raised this Pokémon since it was an egg.

Wouldn't that be interesting? I know it kind of sounds familiar to Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, but I think that would be a great concept. ^^

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
I would like to be able to catch my starter. It hasn't been done before (other than Wally in RSE) and I think it would be kind of cool.

Years
I'd kind of like it to be through a dream. You start the game off and instantly a dream of the past (be it a few days ago, years ago, or something like that) comes up about how you received your starter and you'd choose through there. Then you'd wake up in your bed in the present time!

...kind of a silly thought perhaps, but I like it. <3;

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I would like to be able to catch my starter. It hasn't been done before (other than Wally in RSE) and I think it would be kind of cool.

That would be cool! I can imagine some kind of travel-type thing, where you're at home and the Professor says you can travel to a farm (you know how they breed Starters on farms), and the farm you choose to go to decides which Pokemon you're going to catch. It would be a great way to take advantage of the 3D too, as they could go by plane and give an aerial region view at the same time!

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
I'd like to actually save or help my starter get out of some kind of trouble. Take the Pokemon colloseum and Gale of darkness. Helping those shadow pokemon really made me feel attached to them. They weren't just a gift, they actually had a back story.

Afterall, Gamefreak wants us to form attachments to our Pokemon right? Well, anyway this is all my opinion of course.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I want to walk up into a Pokemon Lab, say high to the professor. If male, I really REALLY want to deck the hell out of him and yank as many starters as possible.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
I want to walk up into a Pokemon Lab, say high to the professor. If male, I really REALLY want to deck the hell out of him and yank as many starters as possible.

So basically, you want to be a member of the Gen 6 evil team?

Guy

just a guy
Years
Someone in another thread had this idea that the lab would be under attack and the starters would have escaped. When you arrive, the region professor would ask you to chase after them. You come across a point where you have to choose which way you want to go. There would be three different choices leading you to three different locations that have a theme or connection to the starter's type. Whichever path you choose, is the starter you'll end up with. I'm also going to add that when you find said starter, it'll be found in the middle of a scuffle with another wild Pokémon. This is when you get your chance at a first battle with one of the starters before it's actually yours.

The beginning of RSE was my favorite, because it was different from the other games. DPPt would come next for similar reasons. Although, the only difference between DPPt and RSE's start was that RSE managed to move at a much faster pace so it didn't feel like you were stuck at the start for too long. That's the only issue I would see this idea having, is that for some it may seem too tedious when all you really want to do is just get on your way and begin your journey.

But anything from the traditional way, I'd be happy about. It keeps things fresh.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I hope it's something different, each gen seems to be somewhat unique.
Gen I
In fear that a Pidgey might kill you somehow, Prof. Oak gives you a pokemon xD

Gen II
You just go and get it but then your rival steals his xD

Gen III
You use your starter to save Prof. Birch, and sadly Gen IV just ripped it off xD

Gen V
You recieve it as a present/you go find the Proffesor's assistant, who was one of your rivals previously to get it.

All I hope is that it's unique, Gen IV was the only copycat xD

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I'd really like to catch my first Pokemon! I think that's a simple yet brilliant idea to be honest. Perhaps the professor invites you along on a research trip around the local area and then you somehow encounter you starter through choice. (Don't know how this would pan out at this point, really.)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'd really like to catch my first Pokemon! I think that's a simple yet brilliant idea to be honest. Perhaps the professor invites you along on a research trip around the local area and then you somehow encounter you starter through choice. (Don't know how this would pan out at this point, really.)

I think that's how Hiiro's scenario would fit in nicely. Then if they want to have future events where you get another starter, you can go explore the other areas where the other starters would have been.

The only thing with that is it would make starter shiny hunting really time-consuming again because you wouldn't know it was a shiny until you went into the area, instead of seeing it in the pokeball.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I'd love being able to catch a starter! Also, another Idea could be getting a it as a gift fom graduating from Pokemon school or something, from someone close like a friend or parent. Then the professor could ask you If you had a Pokemon, and you could say yes. How I've wanted to do that for so long.....

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I'd like to be digging through a specially marked box my our favorite sugar cereal to find the special prize at the bottom!.... No? No maybe not

I really like what they did with RSE, thought it kinda spelled out the fact that the world would be dangerous without a Pokémon by your side. Other than that, I'm liking this idea of the lab being attacks. Something more cinematic and interesting like that would be good

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
That would be cool! I can imagine some kind of travel-type thing, where you're at home and the Professor says you can travel to a farm (you know how they breed Starters on farms), and the farm you choose to go to decides which Pokemon you're going to catch. It would be a great way to take advantage of the 3D too, as they could go by plane and give an aerial region view at the same time!
I like this idea. Or instead of farms, it could be three different habitats: (Volcano, Swamp and Forest). At each habitat you would be able to capture a starter Pokemon corresponding to the habitat's environment. That would be nice.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I like this idea. Or instead of farms, it could be three different habitats: (Volcano, Swamp and Forest). At each habitat you would be able to capture a starter Pokemon corresponding to the habitat's environment. That would be nice.

That would be amazing, and indeed possible. Sounds like a great idea.

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
I kind of want it to be similar to previous games, but also different. So, you go to the professor's lab, but as you walk in, the three starter pokemon run out the door, and through the town. The professor then comes out and says they escaped, and asks for your help to catch them. You say yes, then as you leave the town, there are 3 paths (fire, water, grass), and the professor tells you to pick one, and he/she will get another path, and his/her assistant will take the other. After you choose a path, the professor gives you a pokeball to catch the starter (or maybe return the starter to the ball), and then you go on the path.Then you have to look a bit to find the starter, and then you proceed to catch it. I was also thinking at this part, you may have a battle with either the rival or the evil team, but that's just an extra thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back