• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen All Things Sylveon

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Rumors have it, lulz 4chan, that the Japanese fandom caught wind of a tiny bit of info from this issue, and its a new type.

Rumblings around the Japanese fandom say CoroCoro reveals the new type:

メルヘンタイプ = Meruhen Type. Japanese word used to refer to "Märchen", German term meaning "wonder tale".

Ninfia, Yveltal, and Xerneas are Meruhen Pokemon. Latter two are part-Grass and part-Fire respectively.

As a note Yveltal is the part fire and Xerneas part grass. But Sylveon is still the focus here. If true the new type would likely be a Myth or Lore type, maybe even Fairy. It could be completely untrue, considering how the 9th is a bit early for any leaks, but for all we know it could be true and CoroCoro's big news is a new type.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I wouldn't mind that but most of the hints are towards it being Flying and it'd just be strange for it not to have that ;( But that kind of typing would certainly make it... special I guess??

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Besides the cloud in the movie short, what else would make it flying? Certainly not the fact that it has tentacles and the fact that they're sparkly, not Sylveon itself but the tentacles, on the poster.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I guess it could be a new type, since there have been plenty of rumors about that recently.
Magic/Fairy seems to be the most speculated about, which would be cool, since we havent gotten any new types since Gen 2

If its an old type though, i think it's gonna be flying. Not sure why, it just seems fitting, plus, if you look at this right here, it seems kind of obvious:

(please don't mind the Wobbufet part, the rest makes sense though)

Years
@Zorogami

You could also look at it this way; Jolteon is not very effective against a Dragon type.

Honestly I doubt it will be a flying type. I know that several pokemon without wings etc have been flying types but really, Sylveon doesn't resemble a flying type in anyway and I see nothing connecting it with the flying type at all except a vague name similarity.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
@Zorogami

You could also look at it this way; Jolteon is not very effective against a Dragon type.

Honestly I doubt it will be a flying type. I know that several pokemon without wings etc have been flying types but really, Sylveon doesn't resemble a flying type in anyway and I see nothing connecting it with the flying type at all except a vague name similarity.

I see your point, and i only think its going to be flying if its NOT a new type.
It's true that electric is not very effective against dragon, but at the same time dragon isn't super effective
against electric, which would mess up the whole system.
If it's not a new type, what "old" type do you think will it be??

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2013
I found about sylveon only a few days ago, and i`ve been thinking...

Suicune is a not a flying type, yet can use a few flying type moves, due to being related to the north winds, what if Sylveon uses the ribbons to manipulate air and winds, (perhaps to float or glide in some way?) I`m not going to jump to some crazy conclusion yet, because as its been said, it very well could be anything.

Whether its normal or flying -and the pattern of super effective not very effective continues- its counterpart would most likely be fighting.

Also, if they released a new type, i don't think there would be to much change for a light type, maybe moves like flash or morning sun would be changed, but there are several moves that have been changed, most from gen I to gen II. Im going to keep an open mind though, and hope we find out soon.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I can definitely see Sylveon being linked to the Northern Winds or air, one for the ribbons and for the name.
Your comparison with suicune might not be perfectly fitting, but i can see your point.

I think that if a new type is introduced, like Magic/Fairy, some normal typed pokemon might change around.
Clefairy and Jigglypuff are the best examples of pokemon that could become Magic/Fairy typed, judging from their design
And i guess if pokemon are changed, then maybe some attacks will too...we will see

Years
@Zorogami - I have said before that my vote is for Dragon primarily although I also see Ghost and Normal as possibilities. This is simply because I think the evidence for Dragon is the most conclusive.

I highly doubt there will be another type because the type charts are rather well balanced right now. Dark and Steel were only created because the Psychic type as ridiculously over powered and because Ghost wasn't far behind. IF anything the introduction of a new type will ruin the current balance and throw everything out of sync.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I wouldn't mind that but most of the hints are towards it being Flying and it'd just be strange for it not to have that ;( But that kind of typing would certainly make it... special I guess??
I only have two words for that.

Ghosts fly.

And that sums up my response to that. I may of course still be wrong on Sylveon.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ghosts don't fly! They levitate. n_n And I haven't really seen Sylveon levitating from what we've seen of the video...

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Well, Dusclops, Gollet, Frillish, Jellicent and Litwick all aren't capable of flying nor levitating. Sylveon can be this twist in the Ghost typing.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Rumors have it, lulz 4chan, that the Japanese fandom caught wind of a tiny bit of info from this issue, and its a new type.

As a note Yveltal is the part fire and Xerneas part grass. But Sylveon is still the focus here. If true the new type would likely be a Myth or Lore type, maybe even Fairy. It could be completely untrue, considering how the 9th is a bit early for any leaks, but for all we know it could be true and CoroCoro's big news is a new type.

Dear lord please let this rumor be fake. The types are balanced out perfectly as they are right now, throwing in a new type -- especially something like Fairy -- would just be silly. They'll more than likely throw it out of balance and it's just not going to be good. Plus, if they're adding this I'd imagine that there would end up being a second Eeveelution this generation (which honestly I'm more content with one, but I wouldn't be angry about it) that would have another new type as well. Just no thank you.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Dear lord please let this rumor be fake. The types are balanced out perfectly as they are right now, throwing in a new type -- especially something like Fairy -- would just be silly. They'll more than likely throw it out of balance and it's just not going to be good. Plus, if they're adding this I'd imagine that there would end up being a second Eeveelution this generation (which honestly I'm more content with one, but I wouldn't be angry about it) that would have another new type as well. Just no thank you.

Dragon, Steel, Water, Ground, and Fighting are incredibly OP types no thanks to the Physical/Special split in Gen IV (physical Outrage, Stealth Rock, Bullet Punch Scizor, etc) and the power creep in Gen V (Drizzletoed, Terrakion, High Jump Kick, etc), and Grass, Fire, Electric, Poison, and Ice are considered to be the worst types, so a new type may be a necessity to nerf/buff a few types.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Dragon, Steel, Water, Ground, and Fighting are incredibly OP types no thanks to the Physical/Special split in Gen IV (physical Outrage, Stealth Rock, Bullet Punch Scizor, etc) and the power creep in Gen V (Drizzletoed, Terrakion, High Jump Kick, etc), and Grass, Fire, Electric, Poison, and Ice are considered to be the worst types, so a new type may be a necessity to nerf/buff a few types.

None of those types are OP at all honestly. Steel has awful coverage, Fighting has hard counters in Ghost types, Ground is screwed over by the large amount of Levitate Pokémon and Flying types. Dragon is meant to be strong, and even then it's blocked rather well by Steel types. Water is resisted by a large amount of types, plus Storm Drain and Water Absorb blocks it all together. Of course people can play around that with prediction, but that's what makes a good player of the game. It's not that the types are broken, people just know how to cover other types of attacks. Adding in a new type for Sylveon and the two legendaries wouldn't help anything.

More on topic though, I'm still convinced it's a Flying type. Between the resemblance to Skyla (probably not intentional but still), and the origin of it's name, all signs point to it to me.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
More on topic though, I'm still convinced it's a Flying type. Between the resemblance to Skyla (probably not intentional but still), and the origin of it's name, all signs point to it to me.
I never thought of it like that. But taking three letters of Skyla's name and putting them at the start of a new Eeveelution still doesn't mean anything. You may be noting a connection where none is intended to exist.

Or course, if that IS the connection, it's interesting.

Cyclone

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I never thought of it like that. But taking three letters of Skyla's name and putting them at the start of a new Eeveelution still doesn't mean anything. You may be noting a connection where none is intended to exist.

Or course, if that IS the connection, it's interesting.

Cyclone

I was going for Syl, as is Slyph the air nymph, which would relate it to the flying type. The Skyla thing is just a coincidence more than likely.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I was going for Syl, as is Slyph the air nymph, which would relate it to the flying type. The Skyla thing is just a coincidence more than likely.

Air and Wind aren't related to flying though. There were two Pokemon in the past both based off of a representation of air and neither have been flying type. First is Suicune who is the North Wind. She's a Water Type. Second was Shiftry who is based off of a Tengu which is a Japanese Wind demon. He is Grass and Dark. Sylphs are spirits that embody the element of wind/air. That doesn't mean it'll be Flying type though.

It also doesn't look anything like Skyla to me. It looks more like Iris' Champion dress.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
So, Shokotan is voicing Sylveon. Something tells me that its going to be female, even if she voiced Keldeo....

Back