• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: [Alpha] (MEH) Map Editor of Happiness

TheShinyHaxorus

Pokéchu
Years
This is amazing. So looking forward to a more developed version. I did encounter a problem when loading my ROM though. I opened a clean FireRed ROM, and it seemed to work fine, but when I tried to open the folders marked "maps by name" and "maps by bank," neither of them opened. I tried using ctrl+m, double left click, enter, everything. If you know what's going on here, It'd be so relieving to know. Either way, looks promising. Can't wait for it!

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Since it's already posted on PHO, I thought I'd go ahead and mention it here, for the majority of you who are unaware of the status of this great tool.

MEH has been reborn, and is no longer a Java-based application. It is now known as BEH, which stands for "Because Eventual Happiness." It is written in D, a holistic systems programming language – and is still meant to be cross-platform, open source, etc.

Shiny Quagsire decided to scrap the Java development because I had introduced him to D in one of the renditions of my script editor/compiler, Sapphire... as of now though he explains that MEH (or BEH, as it were) is something he intensely works on in spurs of the moment... so while it doesn't get a ton of attention it is still being worked on, still being developed. And since his 3DS and Wii U accidentally updated (last I heard) he's kind of out of kernel development for the time being, so who knows – we may see more work on this tool out of him soon. :)

Regardless of that, BEH has a GitHub repository, and since it is public anyone is welcome to open a pull request. If you notify him and it's a good edit, he'll usually approve it, or at least he did for my work on the GBAUtils/PokéGBA library. :p

Shiny, if you could be so kind as to link this in the OP or the like, that'd be stellar. I wouldn't want it to get lost in the tide of replies here.

PokemonBen

Kanto Champion
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I can't believe I just read through 14 pages to find out it is dead. Is there a thread about 'Beh'?

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
A-Map doesn't SUCK per se (although the visuals leave a little to be desired but that's besides the point). In fact, it was one of the easiest applications I've ever set up with wine, and it was pretty effective in at least changing mon spawn rates. My problem is that Advance Map and its counterparts, like many older applications, are unfortunately built in what I assume is some sort of Windows Binary, when a language like Java or Python would not only be much easier to port, but in my opinion easier to program in as well. And I get it, languages like those weren't popular back in the day, and depending on the age, some of them might not have even existed. But with the waxing and waning of hacking popularity, and how people's OS tastes have been changing over time, you'd think there would be a bunch of new, stable, universally compatible tools by now, instead of, y'know, one.
I remember the dark days of having to use a program that was in German because it was the only program I could find that could change egg moves, and I completely broke the crap out of Emerald trying to use its trainer editor lol. Compared to the buggy crap shoots of contemporary programs, Advance-Map was good for its time, but the problem is that it's obsolete. With the recent advances in hacking, the tool just doesn't cut it anymore.

Honestly, I'm just sick of a bugged movement byte being labeled as "look down" in A-Map and never remembering which one is the actual "look down" and not the one that turns me into an NPC and traps me on the screen after I open a menu.

Microchip55

I'm a crumb.
Years
Well PKSV didn't really work with Advance Map either. It says I set the program correctly, but trying to open a script gives me a "file not found" error.

My computer is a mid 2010 Macbook Pro, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB card, OS X 10.9.5, and I have Wine Version 1.4.1.6.

A-Trainer, G3T, and Unnamed Trainer Editor all have the same issue- they open and then quit with no error message. I set up the log, but it tells me nothing. Occasionally they open, then close, then open again, then crash. Sometimes they ask me if I want to check for updates automatically before crashing. This happens no matter how I create the prefix- either with the rest of the folder contents or without. Unless there's some winetrick I should be using...

I suggest using Parallels or some other sandbox application to run windows in. I have a mid 2010 macbook pro with way lower specs than yours (it was the cheapest one at the time) and I run windows 7 in it just fine, and I use it for editing my Omega Ruby save game, and I even made a small romhack for omega ruby in it. It sounds like it's a pain and like it won't run well but I think it's worth it and it actually runs decent. I haven't had to mess with wine since XD

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
So I am using the 870 fire red patch made by janken (I might have misspelled that) but I can't figure out how I am supposed to get gen IV-VI to appear in the wild with this or A-map. I saw in the first post how you talked about people implementing support for patches that add more Pokemon but I don't exactly understand what that means.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 28, 2022
The download link crashed for me... Do you thinkk you could make another download link? like mediafire or something?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 19, 2021
This program sounds amazing. I am not too sure how to open it though on the mac. Could someone please help me?

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Not sure what is happening if it is just me but the download link is not working

Can't access to the download website, can you give us another link please ?

The download link crashed for me... Do you thinkk you could make another download link? like mediafire or something?

This program sounds amazing. I am not too sure how to open it though on the mac. Could someone please help me?

The link isn't working :( can you please fix it?

^What they all said lol
I guess you guys didn't notice, but MEH is a dead project. Its successor is Awesome Map Editor, which is hopefully going to release its first stable beta before the end of the year.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Sep 22, 2022
would love to use this and be able to edit the in game animations. so I'll definitely download once it has that :D

damn just saw its dead :(

Cuprite (Kyu)

Formerly TheGoldenRiolu
Years
Your .ZIP download doesn't work. I clicked on it and this is what popped up. I refreshed the page multiple times and it still gave me this.
Is there a better .ZIP download?
(And I'm using Google Chrome.)

Attachments

• MEHDownloadFail.PNG
    MEHDownloadFail.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 5
Years
I'm sorry, I am new here, I seem to be unable to download the ZIP file. Does anybody else know why this could be?
( I am using Firefox)

Back