The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Best Pokemon Game for Beginners
Pokemon Firered / LeafGreen 20 64.52%
Pokemon Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby 5 16.13%
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl 1 3.23%
Pokemon Platinium 0 0%
Pokemon White Black or White Black 2 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:46 AM
HaiImNate
Ice Cream

Nature: Jolly
I'd start at the beginning! Play Leafgreen or FireRed and learn the basics from that game, then proceed on to HeartGold/SoulSilver, those games are a little longer because there are 16 gyms. By that point you should have some experience and be good to go! Just play through the games, and learn from mistakes, that's what I had to do and I'm still learning. At first you probably won't train your Pokemon enough, but always train more than you think it'll be worth it towards the end.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:19 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
I think the best pokemon game for first-time players is the most current games out there. I've heard stories of friends who have insisted they would start their way up with Kanto onwards, only for them to eventually feel discouraged at how long it takes to catch up.

But if you play the games with the most recent game, you'll have something relevant to chat, battle, and trade with with the current fans. Pokemon games improve over time, so why force yourself to start off with a game, knowing that it lacks features and options?

The only exception might be Black2/White2, because these sequel games are best enjoyed when you have the context of the prequel.
Old August 6th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
The inclusion of a VS Seeker makes FR/LG really great games for people just getting into the series (in my opinion). The gym and trainer levels are pretty balanced, which I think makes for a good yet not too difficult/easy challenge for new fans. VS Seeker helps balance out any potential difficulties.

B/W are quite good as well, though!

pair | family | irl pair | lovelies
club 1 club 2 club 3 club 4
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Rauzo
Daddy Fat Sax

Nature: Calm
I would probably recommend starting out with Heart Gold/Soul Silver. It's just extremely polished overall with lots of lovely aesthetical touches while having a long maingame and postgame, taking everything that was good about Pokemon Platinum and refining it, along with containing a vast majority of the 493 pokemon. BW2 are up there too, but lose a little bit of points for being slightly alienating since it's a continuation of BW1 and the lack of Hilbert PWT battle can't be excused D: <
Old August 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Pharaoh721

I would say HG SS because its an old region but enhanced graphics which make the game more playable!
Old August 9th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Crobatrulez20
Ash x Serena please

Definitely FRLG. It's basically Gen 1 with the Gen 3 graphics, although it also has Johto Pokemon and offers you the chance to beat the E4 for the second time. Other than that, it's probably the best game for beginners, especially with that TV you get in Viridian City.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links