• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

i got the clear internet service provider and when we got it all we had to do was plug in the router(nothing to install for router) and we got internet

you might want to check [this link].

Yes, i know it leads to another page/link with the actual step-by-step procedure. But if your issue is similar to the original poster of that thread, then by all means proceed to the other link. If not, you'd have to find another.

This is a very old problem and has been fully solved under many situations (by Nintendo themselves). If you could figure out the specifics, or at least more about your problem, such as the error code and whatnot, it would be much easier to find solutions/answers out there.

Last edited:

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Why does giving 3 irons to one of my Pokemon only increased its def by 3? Aren't it supposed to provide 10 EV each, which means the def should have increased by at least 7?

It's in gen V, by the way.....

Last edited:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Why does giving 3 irons to one of my Pokemon only increased its def by 3? Aren't it supposed to provide 10 EV each, which means the def should have increased by at least 7?

It's in gen V, by the way.....
That's normal, it just means that your pokemon isn't level 100. Remember the +1stat-per-4EV rule only applies to level 100 pokemon. There's a hidden "stat cap" for each pokemon, in that sense. This is the way Nintendo keeps stats somewhat balanced. Imagine a level 5 pidgey having 80 attack without ever battling... lol that'd be weird, right?

So:
Spoiler:

geeky formula for those interested:
Spoiler:

nonetheless, your EVs are still there, and the proper stats will be gained over time.

Last edited:

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
That's normal, it just means that your pokemon isn't level 100. Remember the +1stat-per-4EV rule only applies to level 100 pokemon. There's a hidden "stat cap" for each pokemon, in that sense. This is the way Nintendo keeps stats somewhat balanced. Imagine a level 5 pidgey having 80 attack without ever battling... lol that'd be weird, right?

So...That means those items will not be wasted as all the remaining stats will be distributed when it reached level 100?

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

So...That means those items will not be wasted as all the remaining stats will be distributed when it reached level 100?
Yup. That's a simple way to put it. lol

...I was worried that those numbers and babbling would've confused you XD

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
Ariados?

This is my first thread and I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this so go easy on me... anywho

So I am playing a bug monotype playthrough on soul silver now and I prefer to use "weaker" pokemon because I like the Challenge. So far I am using beedrill and Butterfree; I don't like using the OU dang near broken pokemon (I'm looking at you skyzor...) like most people do so I was looking on bulbapedia and I seen spinarak and ariados who I remember from original gold/silver on gameboy and so I looked up his stats and moves to see if I should use him.

Now I'm not sure if maybe because I haven't used him since I was like 12 that maybe I don't know what i'm talking about... but he looks just horrible. His stat total is 390, now thats not that bad thats actually better than beedrill but where it gets real bad is his learned moveset. He doesn't get a good damaging move until lvl 15 (nightshade) and that doesn't affect normal, he gets sucker punch at 28 but I find it gimmicky and unreliable. At 41 it gets Pin Missile but I personally think thats way too late to get that move it should learn it at level 18 maybe, not 41. Lastly it gets psychic and Poison jab at 46/50 now those are some good moves but not great and also again in my opinion too little too late.

So the real discussion (and or question) is: is Spinarak/Ariados horrible and/or pointless early, mid, and late game? Or am I missing the point of ariados? I want to use him but I don't want a paperweight/experience sponge pokemon all the way till lvl 50.

Moveset
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I personally like Ariados, but it takes him a long time to really get going. He lucked out in Gale of Darkness where they immediately gave Spinarak Signal Beam, which was physical at the time.

But anyway, while I don't consider Ariados the best bug in the world and there are better, if you like the challenge of using weaker bugs, I say go for it. That's coming from someone that likes Ariados though and would use it regardless of wanting challenge or not though, haha. Also take into consideration the TMs that it can learn. The learnset is pretty eh but still.

Sindrie

Years
I personally like Ariados, but it takes him a long time to really get going. He lucked out in Gale of Darkness where they immediately gave Spinarak Signal Beam, which was physical at the time.

But anyway, while I don't consider Ariados the best bug in the world and there are better, if you like the challenge of using weaker bugs, I say go for it. That's coming from someone that likes Ariados though and would use it regardless of wanting challenge or not though, haha. Also take into consideration the TMs that it can learn. The learnset is pretty eh but still.

I took the TM's into account but I found that most TM's he can learn are either very late game or just better used on a different pokemon such as sludge bomb, if you are going to use sludge bomb it's going to be on venomoth b/c he has a much higher special attack. Though I agree I do like ariados I like his design a lot (also I think hes pretty cute :P) I think his typing is wrong I personally think he should have been bug/psychic.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Ariados isn't that bad, but yeah, there might be some problems for you because of its moveset, which means the only way to make it better is through TMs, as it only learns decent moves near late game. Why not give sludge bomb to Ariados as well as Venomoth if you really want to use it? Though Ariados' Special Attack is not that high, at least it will still make it better due to the limited amount of reliable moves it has.

Sindrie

Years
Ariados isn't that bad, but yeah, there might be some problems for you because of its moveset, which means the only way to make it better is through TMs, as it only learns decent moves near late game. Why not give sludge bomb to Ariados as well as Venomoth if you really want to use it? Though Ariados' Special Attack is not that high, at least it will still make it better due to the limited amount of reliable moves it has.

You can get 2 sludge bomb TM's in Soul Silver?

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
You can get 2 sludge bomb TM's in Soul Silver?

You probably already found one in route 43, as for the other one, well, it is pretty late in the game.....Which is in the Battle Frontier if I'm not mistaken where you can trade it for BPs. Still, sorry for forgetting that you might be having trouble deciding who to give that one sludge bomb to early in the game....Well, still, you can give to either Ariados or Venomoth early in the game, and give the other one end game. It is fine if you don't give Ariados Sludge Bomb, actually. I myself take Mawile which only have a base stats of 380, and still use it even though its moveset isn't really that good. It might help if you can give me what Tms do you own right now....

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Early game, Ariados/Spinarak is really underwhelming.. but mid-game is really when he shines the most. Most of the time, you'd rely on Night Shade more than any of his other moves to deal significant damage -- and you'd have to keep him as your highest level just to make Night Shade quite effective during that period.

But one thing you're probably neglecting/forgetting is his Egg moves. He could acquire Poison Jab as early as level 37 from Beedrill and Signal Beam from Venomoth(37)/Volbeat(25). Either way, those moves will make your Spinarak's start better and more reliable compared to how he would be from early-game. However, this requires patience and time as you'd have to wait until your other bugs are good enough (and of course, reach the daycare center). For me, that wouldn't be much of a problem... since keeping a party of 2-4 other bugs is ideal until mid-game for most of the time. But different trainers have different styles, so idk how that'd work for you >_<

Another option is to relearn Bug Bite. However, this is pretty late already, as the move relearner is found at Pastoria (D/P/Pt). But it's a much better choice than say, Signal Beam.

Toxic isn't bad either, and definitely won't be wasted. The move doesn't rely on either SpA or Atk anyway (making his low stats irrelevant), and you can always make sure that he'd be dealing significant damage against any opponent this way (well.. 'cept for Poison 'n Steel types, of course). Toxic-Protect is a pretty popular combo, although commonly used. But with his puny speed and overall stats, compared to mostly any other bugs, it will definitely benefit him the most.

That said, you'll definitely need investment to really get Ariados start good. But that wouldn't be too long, because as mentioned, you could do that as early as mid-game starts.

IMO, an ideal moveset i'd go with would be:
Spoiler:

That may be the most he can do with his stats. Dig wouldn't be bad either, since it keeps the battles longer (hence giving more time for Toxic to sink in), it could also (hopefully) help against some fire types.... with Quick Claw, that is.

Nonetheless, gotta admire your decision for a bug monotype challenge. Spread the love for bugs! *cough*getVespiquen*cough*

Last edited:

Sindrie

Years
You probably already found one in route 43, as for the other one, well, it is pretty late in the game.....Which is in the Battle Frontier if I'm not mistaken where you can trade it for BPs. Still, sorry for forgetting that you might be having trouble deciding who to give that one sludge bomb to early in the game....Well, still, you can give to either Ariados or Venomoth early in the game, and give the other one end game. It is fine if you don't give Ariados Sludge Bomb, actually. I myself take Mawile which only have a base stats of 380, and still use it even though its moveset isn't really that good. It might help if you can give me what Tms do you own right now....

I just started out actually so literally 0 TMs, I'm just trying to plan ahead. But I got a spinarak now and I'm going to try running it through with my team to the elite four and see how useful he can be. Also about the battle frontier: I have actually never used it before lol :P I have beat silver/SS like 10 times but never used it.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
I just started out actually so literally 0 TMs, I'm just trying to plan ahead. But I got a spinarak now and I'm going to try running it through with my team to the elite four and see how useful he can be. Also about the battle frontier: I have actually never used it before lol :P I have beat silver/SS like 10 times but never used it.

Well, one of the ways that molivious suggested is good, though I'm not into breeding :P

Another faster way for Ariados to learn its moves earlier is to halt its evolution from Spinarak, until Spinarak learns pin missile at level 36 and psychic at 40 (Aridos learns those moves at level 41 and 46) But that may be a bit hard as Spinarak's stats are definitely lower than Ariados'.

Sindrie

Years
Early game, Ariados/Spinarak is really underwhelming.. but mid-game is really when he shines the most. Most of the time, you'd rely on Night Shade more than any of his other moves to deal significant damage -- and you'd have to keep him as your highest level just to make Night Shade quite effective during that period.

But one thing you're probably neglecting/forgetting is his Egg moves. He could acquire Poison Jab as early as level 37 from Beedrill and Signal Beam from Venomoth(37)/Volbeat(25). Either way, those moves will make your Spinarak's start better and more reliable compared to how he would be from early-game. However, this requires patience and time as you'd have to wait until your other bugs are good enough (and of course, reach the daycare center). For me, that wouldn't be much of a problem... since keeping a party of 2-4 other bugs is ideal until mid-game for most of the time. But different trainers have different styles, so idk how that'd work for you >_<

Another option is to relearn Bug Bite. However, this is pretty late already, as the move relearner is found at Pastoria (D/P/Pt). But it's a much better choice than say, Signal Beam.

Toxic isn't bad either, and definitely won't be wasted. The move doesn't rely on either SpA or Atk anyway, and you can always make sure that he'd be dealing significant damage against any opponent this way. Toxic-Protect is a pretty popular combo too, although commonly used. With his puny speed, it will benefit him the most.

That said, you'll definitely need investment to really get Ariados start good. But that wouldn't be too long, because as mentioned, you could do that as early as mid-game starts.

IMO, an ideal moveset i'd go with would be:
Spoiler:

Gotta admire your bug monotype challenge. Spread the love for bugs!

Thats not a bad build there but I think I will swap out toxic for psychic for more type coverage, though I never breed so egg moves are kinda out but I guess giving him bug bite/signal beam from a tutor might make him pretty good.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Thats not a bad build there but I think I will swap out toxic for psychic for more type coverage, though I never breed so egg moves are kinda out but I guess giving him bug bite/signal beam from a tutor might make him pretty good.
you might as well swap Protect. Protect is pretty useless if you aren't "waiting" for any move to take into effect. Toxic, on the other hand, deals damage continuously even if, say, when Ariados faints. At least you could assure that at least one of his attacks makes a significant contribution everytime he's sent out.

Toxic makes him a threat even against dragons. Protect wouldn't.

Sindrie

Years
you might as well swap Protect. Protect is pretty useless if you aren't "waiting" for any move to take into effect. Toxic, on the other hand, deals damage continuously even if, say, when Ariados faints. At least you could assure that at least one of his attacks makes a significant contribution everytime he's sent out.

Toxic makes him a threat even against dragons. Protect wouldn't.

My thinking is I will put Toxic on Beedrill simply because he has like 2 times the speed so he will get first turn on most trainer's pokemon.

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013

If I got it right, bug bite and signal beam's tutors are at the frontier front which means you'll need BP in order to learn them, isn't that a bit late in the game, though?

Sindrie

Years
If I got it right, bug bite and signal beam's tutors are at the frontier front which means you'll need BP in order to learn them, isn't that a bit late in the game, though?
crap you're right :/ lol seems like the only alright move he could get by the 8th gym is dig and night shade.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

move tutors have bug bite? I'm not sure about Signal beam either.

All i know is, bug bite = move relearner (
Signal Beam = breeding

My thinking is I will put Toxic on Beedrill simply because he has like 2 times the speed so he will get first turn on most trainer's pokemon.
I'd highly advise against it. First of all, Beedrill's stats aren't that good either (lower than Ariados's, even). He's also much squishier, for that matter. You will want to take advantage of his speed for offensive attacks. Toxic is an attack that requires more survivability, Beedrill has none of that. Without his speed, he would be crappier than Ariados >_<. You'll want to use his speed to deal some instant-BAM! damage for the team.

I used to teach Brick break to beedrill (not sure if it's was TM on following GENs) but this solves a lot of issues -- such as fighting against Rock and Ice types without a steel-bug pokemon (which are really tough situations for most bugs -- being weak against Rock AND Ice [for bug/flying hybrids]).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back