• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Helio Version

Which starter would you pick?

• Chamelica - Grass Starter

Votes: 110 26.6%
  • Kittorch - Fire Starter

Votes: 197 47.7%
  • Pireel - Water Starter

Votes: 106 25.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
Well I really wouldn't like a dual screen system, I've explained why in other threads and I just can't be bothered to type it all out again.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023

On a side note, I don't think you should keep updating so much, it seems one person posts, a creator does, another person posts, two creators do and on and on.

Since when has that ever been a bad thing?

Well I really wouldn't like a dual screen system, I've explained why in other threads and I just can't be bothered to type it all out again.

Do you really have to do this in every thread? Just because you don't like dual screens doesn't mean that no one else does. Your opinion on things is not higher than the respective owners or their supporters. If you "cant be bothered to type it all out again" why bother posting? This isn't "other threads" this is a completely different stage, do you think Aquakip is going to go around the forum just too see what you're talking about? I mean seriously, do you realize how arrogant you're coming across? Manipulation had to come from Emulation a few days back to call you out on this also. I don't think you've ever made a constructive post in this section, try helping games out and letting them know how to improve on things rather than giving a flat out closeted opinion that you think everyone will agree with. Stop acting like you're above everyone, it's getting old.

In any case, on topic.
Helio, to me is a lot like Garnet is in the respect that there's some awesome spriting going on but what of the storyline is shown is quite bland in comparisin. I would recommend expanding on it as, as it stands, it's just your typical pokemon adventure with another evil team which will probably go out and try capture another legendary pokemon etc. Your team's spriting ability is first rate yet as I say, a lot of what I see is aesthetic. I'd also like to see a little more of a background on the gym leaders and maybe relate them to the story some how? The fakemon aren't the best I've ever seen but they're most certainly innvative and colourful, notably the starter pokemon. Your day & night effect is nicely done, the palettes are rather nice, no ugly orange glow. I like how you've explained your professor and his outline, now if you added the same effort or near to it, with the background to your NPC's it would certainly add a lot more depth to the game. It's also nice to try and relate your NPC's to the storyline as best you can. All in all I'm impressed by the aethetics, the graphics and features but I'd like to see that bit more in the way of your text, storyline and dialogue.

I hope that's somewhat useful to you, best of luck with your project.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017

Do you really have to do this in every thread? Just because you don't like dual screens doesn't mean that no one else does. Your opinion on things is not higher than the respective owners or their supporters. If you "cant be bothered to type it all out again" why bother posting? This isn't "other threads" this is a completely different stage, do you think Aquakip is going to go around the forum just too see what you're talking about? I mean seriously, do you realize how arrogant you're coming across? Manipulation had to come from Emulation a few days back to call you out on this also. I don't think you've ever made a constructive post in this section, try helping games out and letting them know how to improve on things rather than giving a flat out closeted opinion that you think everyone will agree with. Stop acting like you're above everyone, it's getting old.

In any case, on topic.
Helio, to me is a lot like Garnet is in the respect that there's some awesome spriting going on but what of the storyline is shown is quite bland in comparisin. I would recommend expanding on it as, as it stands, it's just your typical pokemon adventure with another evil team which will probably go out and try capture another legendary pokemon etc. Your team's spriting ability is first rate yet as I say, a lot of what I see is aesthetic. I'd also like to see a little more of a background on the gym leaders and maybe relate them to the story some how? The fakemon aren't the best I've ever seen but they're most certainly innvative and colourful, notably the starter pokemon. Your day & night effect is nicely done, the palettes are rather nice, no ugly orange glow. I like how you've explained your professor and his outline, now if you added the same effort or near to it, with the background to your NPC's it would certainly add a lot more depth to the game. It's also nice to try and relate your NPC's to the storyline as best you can. All in all I'm impressed by the aethetics, the graphics and features but I'd like to see that bit more in the way of your text, storyline and dialogue.

I think having one of the gym leader's pokemon next to them (as an overworld) would be a cool idea, its not that big an idea, but it would give the game a more enjoyable feel.

DigimonMaster

Lurkermon
Years
Firstly, I just wanted to say the game is looking good so far and I eagerly await more info. As for how much info we need on story, give us enough to draw us in but save the biggest moments for surprises. You just need a few details, something to snag people and make them go "now that I've gotta play!" Without the touchscreen/mouse functions I do think that a bottom dualscreen would be unnecessary however perhaps you could integrate a sidescreen like some of the other games in production here. And regardless I would make sure you make the screen size larger, I understand trying to keep that Gameboy feel but these games are being produced for computer, might as well take advantage of the greater screen space. Wow that's by far my biggest post yet. Don't know if it helps but that's my .02

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years

In any case, on topic.

Well, that answer's Bards' post.

Our game is actually mostly about the storyline. It's original and very in depth. It gives the characters a more realsitic persona and makes it more enjoyable for the player. He was asking if he should post more plot, and seeing as you think we dont 'have one', I'm guessing the answer would be yes.

I think it's also my fault. I haven't updated the first post with a complete synopsis of the plot. I should change that. ^_^

@ Peeky Chew I understand what you mean about the touch screen. Our programmer is just a beginner. He is going through the trial and error stage of his job, seeing what works and what doesn't. But we're thinking about switching to one screen. :)

@ AceDragonite I actually quite like that idea. Just, we aren't thinking of putting in the following system, and if we do, it will be much like Yellow Version where only your starter follows you.

@ DigimonMaster Yep yep. I'm going to ask Bards to type a synopsis up of the storyline, for I am not the storyline person. My job is the graphics.

Also to add onto what Starrmyt posted earlier, our tile artist is Pokemon Diamond from DA. That's one job off of my list to do! He will also be creating the music.

------

Now my turn to post some sprites:

016flujay.gif

Flujay
The Patriot Pokemon
Type: Normal/Flying
Ability: Keen Eye/Brave Heart

Amongst others, Flujay are known to be the most loyal of all Pokemon. This loyalty is also fed by the trainer's level of patriotism to their country.

017flacon.gif

Flacon
The National Pokemon
Type: Normal/Flying
Ability: Keen Eye/Brave Heart

The Country has seen fit to allow this Pokemon to be the Bird of the Country. They tend to loiter around tall buildings with patriotic flags atop them.

Flujay>>lv.21>>Flacon

I hope you like!

Last edited:

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Abnegation, man, I like you. I've always been that type of person. Plot focused and all that. To tell the truth, I joined this project for the sole reason of trying to change the plot from being a stereotypical game. I like you, and I'm going to give you all a large spoiler.

Spoiler:

There, that's a big one, and I hope Starrmyt doesn't get too upset. Ah well. Feedback is welcomed, and shalom from Israel!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Abnegation, man, I like you. I've always been that type of person. Plot focused and all that. To tell the truth, I joined this project for the sole reason of trying to change the plot from being a stereotypical game. I like you, and I'm going to give you all a large spoiler.

Spoiler:

There, that's a big one, and I hope Starrmyt doesn't get too upset. Ah well. Feedback is welcomed, and shalom from Israel!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
I'd put that
Spoiler:
in a spoiler box please, and the
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Hmm well possibly do it in another way other than using the weapon? I mean it sounds a little farfetched imo. But other than that it's fine. Also, spoilered :]

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
Thanks. And, to be quite honest
Spoiler:
But thanks, thats a very valid point. I'll think it over.

The Who?

What is THIS doing in my hat?!
Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2018
I haz question, helios is the greek god of sun, and selene is the greek god of moon, so are you reffering to theM?

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
I like the sprites. :3 They're getting you lots of positive comments, I see. You're a very skilled spriter and someday I hope to be as good as you! Haha. xD

...But, see, thing is about the story. It's, um. I don't doubt your ability to circumvent cliches, and I think the whole Rayquaza thing is pretty cool to be honest, not to mention the PC's motivation for his journey, but. Um. That's not the story. That's backstory. Groundwork is important and all, and I know that's all you can reveal in the public thread (because you want people to play your game and be surprised and I get that), but if you think that's a story you're mistaken.

You promise us complex character interaction, but the paradox is that you can't show that in a thread preview. So what I see is, underneath some pretty cliche subversions, a game that's STILL "get your starter, beat the gyms, fight the evil team trying to harness a legendary's power." And, y'know? That doesn't set you apart at all. I wouldn't play your game for this story. I'd still play it for the colorful fakemon and pretty graphics... but then again, I might get bored.

On the dualscreen dilemma: toss it. Dualscreens are for people who forget they're developing for a PC. You're smarter than that.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Spoiler:

that sounds a bit like zirconium's plot, my game's plot has to do with the enviroment, too. Otherwise, good. Helio is an awesome game!

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
I know, Zephyr +, it is backstory. I would like to reveal more story, but remember, I'm subordinate under Starrmyt, who wants it to be a "surprise." So what am I to do? I don't know man. I can only follow orders. I don't want to piss him off that badly. But I promise you, there is a decent plot. Let me talk with Starrmyt for a bit. Maybe I'll convince him, and then come back to you.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
[on my iPod, so don't expect much from me :P]

bards, consider this my permission to reveal any and everything you want. Plot is your dominion, so you may deem what is appropriate to reveal. And don't hold back ;P

I'm so sorry I cannot be more detailed, I would reply to everyone individually, but typing on this is no fun, especially when I'm paying for an hour of wifi and I'm in the final minutes. So I'll be on here and there, but for now I must go.

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
May I help with spriteing?

I'm sorry I took so long to respond to this:

If you had offered to be a spriter a few months ago, I would have taken you in, but we've taken a new approach and now Aquakip is our sole pokemon spriter, Jocelyn is our sole trainer spriter, and PokemonDiamond is our sole tile artist.

So I'm sorry to say that we cannot take you on as a spriter.

Speaking of sprites, we have a sprite update soon for all of you, just as soon as Aquakip returns from visiting relatives.

Thanks! :D

Bards Sword

La Resistance!
Years
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I'm not dead, just really busy with my studies here in Israel. I know Starrmyt gave me the go ahead to post more plot info, but two things: 1. I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to write and 2. Israel is a really inspiring place artistically and has been giving me a lot of ideas for different stories as I've traveled the land. I might incorporate some of those ideas into the story of the game. In any case, I would post more now, but the campus wifi is shutting down soon. I'll post soon!

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
I guess it's time for another sprite update.

Now my turn to post some sprites:

018moston.gif

Moston
The Moss Pokemon
Type: Rock/Grass
Ability: Rock Head

Moston are often mistaken as normal rocks.

019mossachuset.gif

Mossachuset
The Algae Rock Pokemon
Type: Rock/Grass
Ability: Rock Head

These Pokemon are often seen lumbering along a pathway. They are harmless, but due to their size, are considered to be very dangerous.

Moston>>lv.30>>Mossachuset

I hope you like!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back