• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your suggestions for Essentials

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I know mini-games are a low priority (as they kind of should be considering that other functions are more important), but I think it'd be neat to see an updated edition of the surfing mini-game from Pokemon Yellow. Perhaps with support for people to make additional Pokemon that can use the game fairly easily.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I think nice addon would be Pokemon World Tournament known from Pokemon Black 2 and white 2.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Saving Raven and I were talking about the 3rd Gen contests, seems like a trivial feature, but a nice one for players for sure. Contests are a constant feature in the official games, and 3rd Gen contests were the most interesting ones.

That and a World Tournament (as Venom suggested), which could allow players more of a competitive battle scene without having to figure out multi-player battles.

Savordez

It's time to end fangames.
Years
Adjusting volume in the options screen

I think the only thing the options menu is lacking is a volume slider. I tried to make one but failed miserably. It doesn't need to be something overly complex, just a way to adjust the master volume (BGM, SE etc.).

i really should start learning ruby

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
(Savordez you wouldn't happen to be Gigabowser on RMN, are you? The link to that game gave it away. :P)

I'm not even sure if I wanted to post in this thread, but... Here it goes.

1. Is there a way to speed up the scrolling speed of the UI in the Essentials Editor? If so, that would make debugging and doing all the chores you need to do through that editor much LESS tedious. It's especially worse with setting encounters, because for absolutely EVERY field I have to scroll down walls of text to find the Pokemon I want to input.
  2. Joypad support. It is something that is inherent in RMXP but Essentials removed it with its control script for some reason. Adding this back in will make any PC gamer happy.
  3. I think earlier versions of Essentials supported fullscreen options. I would like to see a return to this, because right now hittin alt+f4 barely changes the resolution and makes things look hideous. It doesn't have to be a forced feature, either, just something that can be toggled so that the joes that want to make their DS-styled games can do so.

That is all.

Savordez

It's time to end fangames.
Years
(Savordez you wouldn't happen to be Gigabowser on RMN, are you? The link to that game gave it away. :P)

Yes. I'm going to post a topic here too once I'll be able to make links.

I've already received multiple "♥♥♥♥ you"s from some guys because my game doesn't have a volume slider. lol

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years

I'm not even sure if I wanted to post in this thread, but... Here it goes.

1. Is there a way to speed up the scrolling speed of the UI in the Essentials Editor? If so, that would make debugging and doing all the chores you need to do through that editor much LESS tedious. It's especially worse with setting encounters, because for absolutely EVERY field I have to scroll down walls of text to find the Pokemon I want to input.
  2. Joypad support. It is something that is inherent in RMXP but Essentials removed it with its control script for some reason. Adding this back in will make any PC gamer happy.
  3. I think earlier versions of Essentials supported fullscreen options. I would like to see a return to this, because right now hittin alt+f4 barely changes the resolution and makes things look hideous. It doesn't have to be a forced feature, either, just something that can be toggled so that the joes that want to make their DS-styled games can do so.

That is all.
1. Page Up and Page Down are your friends.
2. It wouldn't make me happy. I don't use a joypad.
3. Nah. The large screen size is good enough.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
1. Page Up and Page Down are your friends.
2. It wouldn't make me happy. I don't use a joypad.
3. Nah. The large screen size is good enough.
  1. Duly noted
  2. What about the people that use them? Better yet, if you are introducing an Essentials game to a community who is VERY familiar with RPG Maker, they would call BS on the fact that their joypads don't work with this engine, considering RMXP does by default. Also, dude, I'd TOTALLY understand if there is a specific reason why it's not included in Essentials, especially since Poccil kind of gave this away without revealing all of his secrets, but don't poo-poo it off as something completely petty.
  3. It IS but... Meh. I like not being able to see my desktop as I am playing a game, for immersion reasons. The effect of handhelds don't worry work that well on a computer screen, because at least on a handheld you are only seeing the game you are playing, and not some other programs in the background.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 29, 2014
I think that having a script put in that allowed the player to adjust the frame rate would be an AWESOME addition. Pokemon Essentials has this in its options and its a beautiful thing. I still can't find anywhere to get a script for my game.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
  1. Duly noted
  2. What about the people that use them? Better yet, if you are introducing an Essentials game to a community who is VERY familiar with RPG Maker, they would call BS on the fact that their joypads don't work with this engine, considering RMXP does by default. Also, dude, I'd TOTALLY understand if there is a specific reason why it's not included in Essentials, especially since Poccil kind of gave this away without revealing all of his secrets, but don't poo-poo it off as something completely petty.
  3. It IS but... Meh. I like not being able to see my desktop as I am playing a game, for immersion reasons. The effect of handhelds don't worry work that well on a computer screen, because at least on a handheld you are only seeing the game you are playing, and not some other programs in the background.
2. I agree

3. Try medium screen size and use Alt+Enter. Since Essentials has no more border, the image get a little misaligned. Besides this, the large size do the job well.

I think that having a script put in that allowed the player to adjust the frame rate would be an AWESOME addition. Pokemon Essentials has this in its options and its a beautiful thing. I still can't find anywhere to get a script for my game.
This may mess with the game flow, so I prefer to this feature remains as an add-on.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I had working/animating trainer GIFs in Blue Chrome. See? It's definitely doable.

Why do I see a picture of some guy with 2 girls... As lucky as he is... It's just weird you would link us to that lol

Last edited:

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Why do I see a picture of some guy with 2 girls... As lucky as he is... It's just weird you would link us to that lol

Hahhahahahah, yeah, must have screwed up pasting links. Sorry for that. Now that the awkward stage is over, I amended the original link, to point to the correct part. Thanks for pointing it out.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2014
Maybe you could make that the first pokémon you chose cannot be released and/or has to be always in the team, is not something that i will use, but a lot of people want to do that.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Maybe you could make that the first pokémon you chose cannot be released and/or has to be always in the team, is not something that i will use, but a lot of people want to do that.

You know, I always liked the idea of the starter type having a more... Superior and hardcore... integration to the game... I feel, it's easy to start with them, beat the first gym... Capture your favorite and then drop your starter off at daycare or in the box... However, this isn't an Essentials thing, it's a creators thing, so the likelihood of this being added as a feature is below 0, I'm afraid.

39Gamer

39Games
Years
I had working/animating trainer GIFs in Blue Chrome. [See? It's definitely doable.

Well thats pretty sweet video you got there, im interested to know how exactly putting animated gif trainers in is accomplished.. this is a big part of my project..
aswell as the vs screen you had for brock (the one based off team plasma)
but i know you dont help with requests so is anyone else able to help me?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
My suggestion for Essentials is that in a short time frame it should focus on the real 'essential' stuff.
What Essentials really needs is to finish programming the abilities, move functions and items that still don't work.

Of course stuff such as gen VI stuff or graphical resources are cool and all, but I believe that focusing on completing the basic functionalities would be more relevant to the community as a whole. Some pokémon are left completely useless due to the lack of a certain move or ability that has not been programed yet, for instance.

Having a fully working engine should be the main goal right now.

Back