• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X and Y?

Hovo

We gotta stay together.
Years
It beats "Pokemon Periwinkle" and "Pokemon Carnelian" so I'm alright with the names. :P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Probably because of the X and Y chromosomes. Well I highly doubt it's about the generations of people.

That is kind of a point tbh. Well, small one at that. It could mean that they're aimed at an older audience like the Unova games appear to have been, with Pokemon Alpha being the third game.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
I don't mean on the actual X and Y
Look at the Japanese logos, look at the actual words/calligraphy, not the X and Y, but the actual Japanese calligraphy, notice a rainbow coloured double helix?

O_O
Yes sir I very well do see that, interesting. (Is your eyesight like 80/20? ._.)

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
After noticing the rainbow-colored double helix SolarAbusoru pointed out, I then noticed that the antlers of the deer-like legendary were also rainbow colored. Which led me to this thought;

X and Y are obviously DNA references. Chromosome means "Color Body". Either this means the theme is "what Pokemon are comprised of", or..they are introducing a "Light" type. Not like, opposite of evil Light, but spectrum light. Which would explain the multiple rainbow patterns seen throughout the trailer.

Or both. Both things would make the most sense.

BLOOOD-La-ti-

This is the place to try!
Years
Dat rainbow-colored double helix...
Its just too obvious that this generation's whole storyline is related to DNA.
That double helix looks like a DNA anyway.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
Yeah the games are most probably related to DNA and legendaries' names will most probably start from an X and a Y.

Years
I was going to say that X and Y represent unknown variables/potential, which would point to you as a Trainer and the jump to new systemss, but yeah, the DNA thing makes a lot more sense >_>;;

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'm way too tired to specify and speak up about the specifics and theory around it, but someone i know mentioned Life/Death and I find it fascinating and amazing if they actually took Pokemon to that level. There is a basis around this I swear but again, too lazy to really bring over what they said onto here.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
It's pretty innovative from the colors, and it did seem like they were running out with Black and White... I'm glad they changed it up though, all of these changes in Gen VI look a little intimidating but they seem to be pretty gradual in the release, since we're only getting ~20 new Pokemon in it, going by the previous rumors.

Perico

Ripper
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
I don't really know what to think about the names! My first thought was "Well, if they wanted to make it global, the logos should look the same in every language". Although the X and Y remain the same, Japanese logos (as usual) are different. In fact, they kind of give another hint, take a look:

2w57j0g.jpg

If you look at the ン (n) those rainbow signs just remind me of hydrogen bonds. Does anyone else?
I agree with the chromosome theory.

Youji

Game Designer
Years
[...]
If you look at the ン (n) those rainbow signs just remind me of hydrogen bonds. Does anyone else?
I agree with the chromosome theory.

Agreed. Sounds and looks like it, ya.

Logos: Well the Japanese did a great job on them, especially the way they've changed the logos to represent "This game is 3D actually". The abroad logos do so, too but very lame...

Anyone noticed as well that they're not only going away from the usual naming tradition but as well that the 'Version' is missing?? So it's only Pokémon X and Pokémon Y

Cid

Years
Guys you're thinking too much bio. D: I don't know but I'm way too exposed to physics and math, so my other theory was the one Isasapiens suggested:
X and Y are coordinate axis to represent the series's jump to 3d.
I'm thinking that the whole reason they made it X and Y is related to the x-axis, y-axis and z-axis being the conventional names for the three axes in a three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system. So if there's a third version, I think that's gonna be Z if this theory holds. I mean it's for the 3DS. A three-dimensional system / three-dimensional dual screens thingo. So I think it sort of makes sense. :\

Plus chromosome theory suggests that the third version not be Z, imo. If anyone knows more biology than me then they should correct me, but I don't remember any other chromosome at the same league as the X chromosome and the Y chromosome. :(

A 3-D graph has three axis' X,Y, and Z. X and Y are only a 2-D graph.
Well if they make a Z then it will still work as a reference to the three-dimensional coordinate system, I suppose. :p

Last edited:

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
Honestly I have no idea, but I think that Pokemon game titles are starting to sound a bit silly.

Unless they happen to release some sort of deep meaning to "X" and "Y"

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024

Well, since Gen IV it's been 3D. I think it's because the player won't be restricted to a grid anymore, you know, with specific X and Y coordinates.

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years

I like this, probably the most likely.

X and Y are still somewhat color related if the theme for Gen 6 has something to do with genetics, origins or something of that sort. Chroma, from chromosomes, means color in Greek.

So I think Gen 6 will have a certain theme just like Black and White did with their names. We might see a return of the DNA splicers used on Kyurem.

This was my first thought. Something to do with genetic manipulation. Maybe in this region pokemon are being genetically enhanced? Or evolution could be brought on early? Starts bringing in the morality of messing with living creatures... though that is kinda deep for pokemon.

Years
I like that they changed the naming convention while still having a sort of connection to colors with chromosome-inspired titles. It does have me wondering if they're going to continue after this generation, since we're almost certainly going to get a Pokemon Z to complete the axes and then we'll have X, Y, Z. The end of the alphabet. It feels kind of final.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
I'm tending, at the moment, toward X and Y being references to coordinates used in mapping two dimensions. Add Z and you've got coordinates for three dimensions.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I thought of them as generation x and generation y, but the coordinate system makes more sens e than my interpretation haha.

Back