• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Migrating to Gen 6

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
My friend Wiilio brought up migrating Pokemon in Gen 6. I realized that you could migrate from Gen 1 to Gen 2, but not to Gen 3. What if they make it the same way for 4/5/6. Gen 4 to Gen 5, but no transfer to Gen 6?
Would you be okay with this?
Do you have any Pokemon in the current games that you really want to bring to X an Y?

Years
I am sure there will be a way. Is that not because the handhelds hardware changed a fair bit? Or I am I remembering wrong?

Either way, I am pretty confident that you will be able to migrate your Pokemon over.​

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2024
I've actually never used migration, but I'd love to transfer from heartgold/soulsilver to gen 6, but I don't care about any other gen 4/5 games, I just want a chikorita in gen 6.

blue

gucci
Years
Well I can't see Generation III downwards being able to connect in any way with the 3DS having no GBA slot but I could imagine Gen IV & V would have no trouble, which is good because you can get a majority of the Pokemon available from DPPT-B2W2.

Wiilio

Friendly neighborhood fatman
Years
I dunno how much they pay attention to the fandom and things such as RNG, but if they do, maybe they'll try to blot it out. Assuming they pay attention to things like that, they know that 3DS RNG hasn't been cracked and that we have little chance to crack it as we are now. Furthermore, they know that gens 3-5 have been heavily exploited. So if they want to blot out RNGing, they will not include a way to migrate Pokemon.

On the other hand, they would also know that the fandom would be pretty upset if they can't send their favorites to the new games.

You can't count this out, folks. Remember Gen 3? No way to send Pokemon from Gen 2 to it. If they decide to change the mechanics again, they actually COULDN'T allow for a transfer. It's a definite possibility.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I think it actually might be stand-alone.. just because of all the animation they'd need to fill. Or have the option come after you download content. Dunno how many skeleton types there are going to be in this pokemon world, but a few might be shared like in Stadium. We'll have to see!

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
I think it actually might be stand-alone.. just because of all the animation they'd need to fill. Or have the option come after you download content. Dunno how many skeleton types there are going to be in this pokemon world, but a few might be shared like in Stadium. We'll have to see!

Well seeing as all Transferring does is Transfer the Statistics of a Pokemon and the Species Name of the Pokemon I can't see it being all that hard to Allow us to Migrate

All it has to do is Apply those Statistics to the 3D Model of the Species Name that was Transferred
And I Highly Doubt they will Revamp IV's Like they did in Gen III
(The IV Revamping was the Reason you couldn't migrate plus You Couldn't Link a GBC to a GBA)

Wiilio

Years
You could put a GBC game into a GBA. That wasn't an issue.

And you can "highly doubt" it all you want, but the fact of the matter is that it's always a possibility. If they can do it once, they can do it again. We have little idea of what to expect from this gen. I think it's safe to say we need to be prepared to expect the unexpected.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
The 3DS can already read data from the current generation with the Dream Radar, so at least we've got that going for us.

I'd say that the only way we're not getting migration is if the base mechanics of Pokemon are changing. Things like how stats work, or experience, or IVs and EVs and such. Though, with how groundbreaking this generation looks, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an overhaul just like that that breaks compatibility.

The cart slot was not the issue. The fact that GBA games could not work with GB/GBC link cables was.

Actually, that wasn't the issue. The fact that the data structures of the Pokemon were completely different between Gen I-II and Gen III was the issue. The mechanics overhaul in Gen III that's stayed with us 'til now was the main factor in not allowing GBC to GBA transfers.

In fact, if it weren't for extra unused/redundant bytes in Gen I's Pokemon data structure, Gen I to Gen 2 trades wouldn't've happened either, as Gen 2 needed those extra bytes to save a Pokemon's hold items and splitting up the Special stat into Special Attack and Special Defense. That's why when you trade a Pokemon back to Gen I with a hold item attached to it, when it gets back to a Gen II game, it has the same item.

Last edited:

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
The 3DS can already read data from the current generation with the Dream Radar, so at least we've got that going for us.

I'd say that the only way we're not getting migration is if the base mechanics of Pokemon are changing. Things like how stats work, or experience, or IVs and EVs and such. Though, with how groundbreaking this generation looks, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an overhaul just like that that breaks compatibility.

Even if we do I'm Sure they would make some way to "Re-Roll" the Stats that got Overhauled
People would Probably throw Bricks at Game Freak otherwise

Wiilio

Years
The cart slot was not the issue. The fact that GBA games could not work with GB/GBC link cables was.

So put the GBC game into one GBA, and put the GBA game into another GBA, and link them with a GBA cable. Unless the GBA cables didn't work with GBC games, and I'm pretty sure they did.

The real reason was that the mechanics changed, anyway.z

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
So put the GBC game into one GBA, and put the GBA game into another GBA, and link them with a GBA cable. Unless the GBA cables didn't work with GBC games, and I'm pretty sure they did.

The real reason was that the mechanics changed, anyway.z
Just Remember

The GBC Link Cable did the following

Player 1 Pokemon was Sent through Cable...
Player 1 Pokemon Fully Sent
Player 2 Pokemon was Sent through Cable...
Player 2 Pokemon Fully Sent

The GBA Link Cable did the following
Player 1 Pokemon was Sent through Cable...
Player 2 Pokemon was Sent through Cable...
Player 1 Pokemon was Recieved
Player 2 Pokemon was Recieved

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't see any reason why gen 6 wouldn't be able to trade or migrate with V. I don't think they'll be making any major changes to the IV/EV or nature system, which is why we can't trade/migrate from gen I and I to anything III and beyond.

I'm hoping we can trade instead of migrate. There was no reason that gen IV and V couldn't trade honestly, and that migrating game was awful. Just let us trade and keep it simple. Of course, following gen I and II trading rules by no new Pokemon or moves or items. Not hard, really.

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
I don't see any reason why gen 6 wouldn't be able to trade or migrate with V. I don't think they'll be making any major changes to the IV/EV or nature system, which is why we can't trade/migrate from gen I and I to anything III and beyond.

I'm hoping we can trade instead of migrate. There was no reason that gen IV and V couldn't trade honestly, and that migrating game was awful. Just let us trade and keep it simple. Of course, following gen I and II trading rules by no new Pokemon or moves or items. Not hard, really.

Yea allow us to trade like you could do with Gen I to Gen II (You could send the Pokemon forward and back at will as long as it didnt know any new moves of course)

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2013

I honestly really REALLY hope the IV and EV system get revamped.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
Even if we do I'm Sure they would make some way to "Re-Roll" the Stats that got Overhauled
People would Probably throw Bricks at Game Freak otherwise

There was no way to reroll the stats of a Gen I-II Pokemon to make it fit into Gen III, I doubt they'd translate it for this generation shift if the mechanics are overhauled. X and Y are supposed to be an evolution of Pokemon, which could imply that we're leaving the old generations behind.

Also, I edited my previous post with more points, goodness y'all post fast!

Shubshub

Master of The Y
Years
There was no way to reroll the stats of a Gen I-II Pokemon to make it fit into Gen III, I doubt they'd translate it for this generation shift if the mechanics are overhauled. X and Y are supposed to be an evolution of Pokemon, which could imply that we're leaving the old generations behind.

Also, I edited my previous post with more points, goodness y'all post fast!

The GBA and GBC Are also extremely Old Technology now and the 3DS is the Latest Technology I'm sure they will let us Reroll the stats if they are Revamped

iTeruri

iAm
Years
I think we'll be able to transfer our old Pokémon either trough download play (as is done when transfering from generation IV to V) or trough a downloadable 3DS app (insert old gamecart, start app, select what Pokémon to transfer, these are removed from the generation IV game, switch game cards, reboot app and send the new Pokémon). If the games are indeed downloadable E-Shop titles and transfering works via an app, you might not even need to switch game cards (the app could read and write to the downloaded game, so you only have to insert your old game).

Back