• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Another OU Drought Team

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
Years
Another OU Drought team [UPDATED 4/5/11][Peaked 381st!!!]

Ok, I fixed up the reasonings of my Pokemon... Hopefully this complies with the rules a bit better...

Hey! I'm Dark Pulse! A few of you know me, and up until recently, I've been playing with a rather gimmicky Hail Stall Team (which in the early metagame was really good, but now I'm not getting much any success from it)
thanks to Aragornbird for making a sprite database for me to use in this post (though it means little in this scenario, it really makes all the difference)

My Team At a Glance
344.gif
038.gif
555.gif
003.gif
586.gif
230.gif

The Creation Process
Spoiler:

My Team under the Microscope
344.gif

Claydol (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpA
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic

My Rocker/Spinner lead. I use Ninetales, this or Kingdra as a lead, depending on the opponent.
Stealth Rock up and spin away, then switch, if possible, I may stay in to deal some damage, but I need Claydol to survive in case more hazards come out, and this team doesn't like Hazards...

038.gif

Ninetales (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot
- Hypnosis

My other Potential lead, Hypnosis + Nasty Plot is rather... nasty :P
Otherwise I Hypnosis + switch to darmanitan to Flare Blitz sweep.
I normally only use Ninetales as a lead if I have an opponent that potentially will beat Claydol as a lead (IE Azelf or Aerodacyl), or if I am facing a non-weather team (especially with an obvious hazarder)

555.gif

Darmanitan (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

My all out Physical Attacker... This thing's Flare Blitz can OHKO LATI@S!!! If I can send this out on a hypnosised/Slower Pokemon (esp. ferrothorn), they basically lose 1 member of their team, on the spot.
U-turn is for a quick escape, and allows me to hit Rankurusu (I have never gotten used to it's ENG name, Reun-whatever) or other slow Pokemon after I have used Superpower (often to kill T-tar or Heatran)

003.gif

Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 204 HP / 136 Def / 160 SAtk / 8 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Energy Ball (Wish I could get Giga Drain)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

My main Special Sweeper, originally was going to be a tank with surprising speed, but now has evolved into a bulky sweeper, swapping synthesis for HP fire...
Growth in Sun is equivalent to using Both SD and Nasty Plot in 1 turn, so I was contemplating a Mixed set, but to do that, I would have to lose some of the Bulk that has made Venusaur what it is...
Venusaur has often been a bit of fodder for me (until I removed synthesis) as it was able to survive a Garchomp's Unboosted Outrage, and, if not scarfed, synthesis in to heal... I'm now contemplating srificing some bulk (or power) to give it the speed to beat Scarfchomp. Suggestions?
Synthesis is still sorely missed, as it allowed me to heal quickly after taking damage from pokemon I couldn't OHKO (Garchomp or Lati@s)
Energy ball has been suggested over solarbeam, due to weather issues.

586.gif

Sawsbuck (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Nature Power [Earthquake]
- Return

My set-up SD sweeper, with Horn Leech, I can SD up, survive with sash (or sometimes survive with sash intact lol) then Horn leech the oponent to recover, meaning I am out of Priority range to KO me...
This Pokemon is my most Hazard-weak Pokemon, as without 100% health, I have to horn leech right away to survive an attack, often meaning I can't sweep properly, as I'm forced to choose the wrong move (IE - using horn leech instead of SD+return)
Priority and Hazards (as already explained) are a ***** to this pokemon, ideas to work around them?

230.gif

Kingdra (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SDef / 164 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Rest

Suggested by Shrang, this wreaks both SS and Drizzle teams, basically forcing the opponent to not bring their weather Giant in... If you know who D_a is, he suggested swap it for Dugtrio or Wobba
I sometimes use this as a lead when facing Rain teams that send Poli out first (very few, but still...) Otherwise, I send in tails first, then try to Hypnosis the switch-in of Poli (but the HAX gods frown upon Hypnosis)
ChestoRest Kingdra allows me to ignore Toxic and other residual, while still DDing up, when I finally rest, it often catches the opponent well off guard!
rather than a +1 sweep, a +3 Outrage often takes out 2 Pokemon [unless Ferrothorn is in play, Ferrothorn is a 2HKO at +6 :(]

Known Counters/Checks
So Far, Teams that have beaten me include:
Sandstorm Teams, although I normally can get around them with Careful Switching between Kingdra, Heatran and Ninetails
Rain Teams, but Kingdra now Sweeps them with Swift Swim + Rest
Ferrothorn, because until I gave Venusaur HP Fire, he would set up hazards on me while I switch to tails/Tran, then switch out when I try to kill it...
Heatran! Once I lose Sawsbuck, he basically walls my team (yes, walls)
other things:

Priority, especially with Sawsbuck and Kingdra
Entry Hazards...

Things My team needs/wants

Some stronger Walls, If my opponent gets momentum, I can't stop it without letting something die​

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Hey! I'm Dark Pulse! A few of you know me, and up until recently, I've been playing with a rather gimmicky Hail Stall Team (which in the early metagame was really good, but now I'm not getting much any success from it)

My Team At a Glance​
485.gif
038.gif
555.gif
003.gif
586.gif
230.gif

The Creation Process​

So... I decided I wanted to build a new team! I Looked at a Sheer Force Team featuring a NIdoking, but couldn't find inspiration for partners...
It was then that I remembered hearing about Darmanitan. that LO+Drought+Sheer Force made one very strong Flare Blitz... so I decided to make a Drought team...
I started off with just those 2 Pokemon
038.gif
555.gif

That's when I remembered seeing Venusaur. I'd battled Drought teams before, and often had a Venusaur switch in to destroy my Toxic Spikes, then continue to sweep through me with seemingly godlike speed (it outsped my froslass, I knew it was boosted somehow)
so I looked up Venusaur, and found it's DW Ability to be Chlorophyl
I then added Venusaur to my team
038.gif
555.gif
003.gif

After Figuring out Chlorophyl made Venusaur Faster than Deoxys-S with no investment (as long as sun was in play) I looked to find another Chlorophyl User. I found Leafeon
038.gif
555.gif
003.gif
470.gif

That made 4 Pokemon. I thought about using Harvest, hearing about how Tropius could PP Stall eternally in sun by using Synthesis @Leppa Berry/Harvest, so I thought of putting him in. Then I noticed Exeggutor also had Harvest... So I added him instead
038.gif
555.gif
003.gif
470.gif
103.gif

Next up, I needed a Lead... After a fair bit of looking (well, not much) I decided on Heatran, as it could absorb Fire attacks my Grass types Hated, and was immune to Sandstorm Damage... And he had Access to the Rocks, that always helps...
038.gif
555.gif
003.gif
470.gif
103.gif
485.gif

Now with my team complete, I went off and tested battling
*still loses*
I found that Despite using Adamant, Focus Sashed SD Leafeon, I didn't have the coverage to do the damage I wanted to deal... After a lot of asking and arguing on PO, I found out that Sawsbuck had the Coverage I was looking for, despite the lack of speed and attack... So I swapped Leafeon for him
038.gif
555.gif
003.gif
586.gif
103.gif
485.gif

My last Change was Suggested by a moderater on the Smogon PO server, (who's name Escapes me). When I found myself with problems facing fire types, Rain teams, and Tyranitar. He suggested me using ChestoRest Kingdra, which has proved to be quite useful in my team... I swapped Exeggutor out for him
038.gif
555.gif
003.gif
586.gif
230.gif
485.gif

Now, I'm still having one or two troubles with Sandstorm (especially when people use BOTH hippo and T-tar) so I'm coming down to the public to ask...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

My Team under the Microscope​

485.gif

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

038.gif

Ninetales (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Hypnosis

Nasty Plot Ninetales works quite good, Flamethrower get's better accuracy over Fire Blast and gains a sun boost. Hidden Power Ground deals with Rock types, which would block you. >: Solarbeam is just no, cause' Tyranitar could come in and OHKO Ninetales with Stone Edge, then you've got no grass moves basically.

555.gif

Darmanitan (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn

003.gif

Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 204 HP / 136 Def / 160 SAtk / 8 Spd
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

Like I said before about Solarbeam, use Energy Ball over it, you still get your STAB move. You could go for Sludge Bomb over Synthesis, it wouldn't help to have another STAB under your belt, plus after a +2 Special attack raise, Sludge Bomb will dent anything that doesn't resist it.

586.gif

Sawsbuck (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Nature Power
- Return

230.gif

Kingdra (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 40 SDef / 164 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Rest

Upon seeing Kingra I was skeptical, although I realized it would work out well, if Rain team's thought they could stop your sun, you could just tear them apart with Kingra.

Known Counters/Checks​

So Far, Teams that have beaten me include:

Sandstorm Teams, although I normally can get around them with Careful Switching between Kingdra, Heatran and Ninetails
Rain Teams, but Kingdra now Sweeps them with Swift Swim + Rest
Ferrothorn, because only Ninetails and Heatran can defeat it well without losing HP from Iron Barbs, and Ninetails is SR Weak, and I usually lose Heatran Early, being my lead

Comments and suggestions in bold, one's without any boldness I find are alright. About your counters; I find that when I'm using my Sun team that Sandstorm teams can shut it down easily, Sun team's are the weakest of the 4 Weather teams, and need to be carefully constructed to be able to win, you may need to add some Rapid Spin support into the mix.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Hey. Right now I'm not really giving a full rate, just a few suggestions...

Air Balloon Heatran isn't that good as a lead. More often than not, you'll lose the Balloon before you want to - and part of its appeal is as an emergency check to something like Excadrill. I'd rotate it out to a different Pokémon. The one that I prefer with sun teams is Infernape with Endeavor/Stealth Rock/Mach Punch/Close Combat(Grass Knot) @ Focus Sash. Endeavor lets you take a Hydro Pump or whatever from Politoed, CC breaks Tyranitar (and GK eats Hippo) and Stealth Rock makes it so Politoed can't come back in. It's pretty useful, imo.

Venusaur wants Sludge Bomb >> Synthesis so it can hit Dragon-types and Fire-types and Energy Ball >> Solarbeam so you don't give Tyranitar a free turn.

Kingdra seems incredibly ineffective when you actually accomplish your team's goal and have Drought up. I feel like you could use something better there - though what, I dunno yet. :/

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
Years
Thanks Dragonomega. I understand you saying to choose Energy Ball over Solarbeam, but Energy Ball just doesn't pack the punch that I need to be able to use it effectively... Though with Nasty plot... It might work...

I've been using Venusaur as very much a Tanky sweeper, and without the synthesis boost, I find myself running out of steam too early. Venusaur and Kingdra are my 2 major pokemon when I find my drought compromised, so swapping Energy ball for Solarbeam is definately something I'll do...

when I first thought of Kingdra, I too was Sceptical, but I find him to be extremely useful, He's my best T-tar /Hippo Counter with Waterfall, and like you said, just wreaks rain teams...

I agree that I need Rapid Spin support, and was even opting to swap Heatran for Forry at one point...

would perhaps putting Excadrill in somewhere work? that way I can also counter sand teams like kingdra does to rain

---------------------------------------------

I agree Vrai, I've been contemplating swapping Heatran for something else, but you'd be surprised how many people EQ a heatran, not realising it has a Balloon

I have been finding myself needing synthesis to give Venusaur a little more Bulk, but I think that with HP fire to counter things like Scizor, I'll swap Sludge bomb in (yes, I'm contradicting myself, but it's 2 against 1)

You would be surprised at the power Kingdra holds even in sun, if it can get enough DD's, and I've removed the steel types that counter it, Outrage destroys quite a few team members on the opposing team... and Even Waterfall, despite the power drop from sun, can put a big dent in the opponent... I really like sitting it in and setting up DD's on rain teams, because they just don't want to bring poli in...
that's when I kill something.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
would perhaps putting Excadrill in somewhere work? that way I can also counter sand teams like kingdra does to rain

No. You still lose to teams with Hippowdon and most Sand teams have ways to hit opposing Excadrill that don't involve sacrificing their Excadrill.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Ok, get rid of Kingdra, not only is it useless in sun, but its also set up bait for Ferrothorn and your team is EXTREMELY hazard weak. Put in something like Dugtrio or Wobbuffet to trap foe weather starters. Espeon might work too due to the insane entry hazards weakness you have.

Midgame Sash is likewise silly as hell, Stealth Rock and hazards still exist. :/ Use a Life Orb on Sawsbuck or Leftovers. You dont need that much speed either. Aim to beat Scarf Thundurus at the MAXIMUM is the most you should ever need. Put the rest into HP.

I like Chesto Rest on Ninetales or any weather starter really to give me a better chance of conserving it.

Venusaur really needs Sludge Bomb. OHKOing dragons is extremely important after a boost in the metagame, especially given how weak to them you are. CM Latias 6-0's this team for example as does any and all Dragons.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
how would I use Dugtrio??? I normally use Kingdra to screw both Sand and rain teams, but Ferrothorn definately likes coming in while I DD up

Trap Tyranitar whom is the most common weather starter then you get to control the weather all game. Wobbuffet does similar things but traps all the other weather Pokes too.

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
Years
yeah, I guess, and Unless Tales holds a Balloon (I haven't seen any other weather user hold a Balloon) It Dug traps everything anyway, and I don't need to trap tales...

I might try using that...

ok! I've updated the thread with the Smogon movesets (I've also posted this on smogon) and I'm happy (but not extatic) to say I havePeaked 423rd so far, I may try to beat that, but I'm just happy I made it to the top 500 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back