• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen An introduction of new types...?

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Light, as in "holiness" and "purity" wouldn't fit well with Pokemon, I agree. But light as in the light spectrum would. Could you imagine a flashlight Rotom? lolz

I could easily see a Light-type being weak to the types that are underrepresented offensively, and resistant to the stronger ones.

But if Sylveon isn't a new type, my hope in there being a new type will diminish somewhat cause I can't imagine a better way to introduce a new type than with an eeveelution.
I'm agree with the bolded Part.

Although I just said I'm not against new type being introduced despite the broken meta-matchup, I particularly dislike Light-type, especially if they represent like what I've bolded or as contrast to "Dark Type".
Most of the time, the thematic that Pokemon have brought up since Generation III (nature and relationships), to Generation IV(history of the universe, and myths and legends), and Generation VI(relationships of the opposites) are all having neutral view point and it could happen because most of the Pokemon rerepsenting them didn't have any stereotyped prejudice.

What I'm saying is, Light-type would tend to bring the much overused fantasy trope of Good Vs Evil, Light vs Darkness, while the Light-type being the good guy and Dark-type as the bad guy. I would like if they some twist and manage to handle them so both facet of nature could viewed as same and neutral viewpoint. But it even more unlikely since kids are used to Light=Good and Dark=Evil.

If there is indeed Light-type and it represent as purity, holy or the opposite of Dark, all pokemon need later is a medieval-themed game of Pokemon with some sort of overlord as it villain.
If there was a Light type, then it better be a trio with Steel and Dragon based on the supposed claim Leaf Storm linked to me on my VM page. I would simply imagine Light being super effective against Dragon and weak against Dark and Poison (not sure about Steel).
It would make Dark type even more uber than it should be. There is no need for trio if the match up not working from the start.

Years
I would like "Fairy" typing instead of "light". The moveset would be larger since there are both good and evil "fairy" mythical creatures. They would be able to go back and type some of the older mons too like clefairy, jigglypuff, chansey, and audino.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I would like "Fairy" typing instead of "light". The moveset would be larger since there are both good and evil "fairy" mythical creatures. They would be able to go back and type some of the older mons too like clefairy, jigglypuff, chansey, and audino.

But aren't fairies associated with Psychic types such as Celebi and Victini?

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
While I rather like the sound of "Fairy" type better than "Light" type, most of the Pokemon are sufficiently covered by Normal-type, while the moves are mostly suited for Psychic. It could work, if they brought it up in earlier Generation. It sadly doesn't fit for now since too many Pokemons would have its type changed.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
just just look at electric.
this type has only 1 weakness, it's the most overpowered thing in the whole world.
what is the most common type in pokemon?
WATER, and that is weak to electric.
what is the third most common type in pokemon?
FLYING, and guess what, it is weak to electric too

and besides electric types has the best offensive stats and best moves(no, don't tell me you don't think thunder, thunderbolt, zap cannon, volt tackle are the best attacks ever, because you do and you are right)
they are so so so so so so so op. and you know what, they always attack first no matter what.

we must have at least one type to deal with this.

or must cover rock to have immunity against electric but i don't know, just it isnt fair and i hate all the electric pokemons, i want to kill pikachu.

Electric-types are actually kind of horrible.

Grass-types are insanely common and resist Electric-types. Dragon-types resist Electric-types. And it resists itself. Plus average HP for Electric-types is 62, average Def is 66, average SpD is 72. They're pretty fragile.

I also think Thunder is mediocre if it isn't used on a Rain team and Zap Cannon has terrible accuracy, but Thunderbolt is pretty legit. Stun Spore is better than Thunder Wave though, because Thunder Wave can't hit Ground-types while Stun Spore can.

Anyway, I don't think a new type is really necessary and it seems like it'd be too strenuous to add at this point, plus our current typing system is already very balanced.

While Grass-types have the most weaknesses, they also hurt a LOT of Pokemon that are dual-typed (Ground/Rock, Water/Ground). It's balanced.

Another type would throw it off, I think it's fine as it is and the only reason I think people want a new type is because they're bored of the current types, and we were sort of taunted with the whole idea that they can throw in types because of Dark-types and Steel-types in Generation II.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Mmm, well, I guess the main problem with adding new types is that incorporating a new type in Gen VI would take so much more work than it did in Gen II. Gen I into Gen II had 150 pre-existing Pokemon, two of which had Steel retrofitted onto them. Gen I had no IVs to speak of, so Hidden Power couldn't have been an issue. Gen VI has almost six times the Pokemon Gen I had, without adding any new Pokemon. There are detailed IV and Hidden Power mechanics that rely on the type chart as it is now. I'm not saying a new type is impossible, and I'm no programmer, but it seems to me that the amount of work involved in throwing in a new type would be pretty ridiculous.

My opinion about these balanced issues; I'd like to ask, is everything as balanced as we're going to get, or can it be more balanced? To be fair, I really wouldn't go out and say that everything right now is "balanced" because I don't think anything can be truly "balanced" in sense that people would always use the next best thing in order to win, especially when it comes to pokemon, because people don't normally use pokemon in high tiers that are about 2x weak to stealth rock with a ton of weaknesses (ie. pure Ice, Fire and Bug typed pokemon) which is why I'm thinking that anything can be fair game, including new types, at this point of speculations.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
When I say balance, I mean with the amount of weaknesses and advantages we have with the types now, I'm not counting tiers and such cause that's a whole other park that always has some iffiness in it because of it being entirely fanmade and such xD

Should've made that clear, I apologize *n*

I mean like... Grass is weak to Ice, Fire, Bug, Flying, and Poison, but strong against Water, Ground, Rock. That's not an even ratio, but with how common Water, Ground, and Rock are, it's pretty even to me. But if Light-type is added, how will it affect all of the other types? Would it be neutral, strong, or weak? Would it resist anything or be resisted by anything?

Figuring that out is simple enough but like you mentioned Miss Doronjo, it seems more unlikely with each generation we progress through just because of the amount of work that would have to be done. That's a really good point with the IVs and such too, I hadn't thought of that but that does seem to make it more unlikely.

That's why I think Sylveon won't be a new type, and a new type won't be introduced, because of how soon Gen VI is coming out after Gen V. They could have been working on it since the 3DS was announced, or heck even before then, but I just don't see it happening.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Fairy type would be... unique. But I don't think it'd be that necessary. ;( I can't really see many advantages to a fairy typing, and it just sends a kid-ish message which Pokemon isn't necessarily trying to display, given that they're aiming it at a wider audience from the looks of the protagonists and that generally little boys won't really want fairy Pokemon, and would rather have dark/fire/steel, aka strong stuff. It may be unfair but it's true and how they'd be perceived.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
When I say balance, I mean with the amount of weaknesses and advantages we have with the types now, I'm not counting tiers and such cause that's a whole other park that always has some iffiness in it because of it being entirely fanmade and such xD

Should've made that clear, I apologize *n*

I mean like... Grass is weak to Ice, Fire, Bug, Flying, and Poison, but strong against Water, Ground, Rock. That's not an even ratio, but with how common Water, Ground, and Rock are, it's pretty even to me. But if Light-type is added, how will it affect all of the other types? Would it be neutral, strong, or weak? Would it resist anything or be resisted by anything?

Figuring that out is simple enough but like you mentioned Miss Doronjo, it seems more unlikely with each generation we progress through just because of the amount of work that would have to be done. That's a really good point with the IVs and such too, I hadn't thought of that but that does seem to make it more unlikely.

That's why I think Sylveon won't be a new type, and a new type won't be introduced, because of how soon Gen VI is coming out after Gen V. They could have been working on it since the 3DS was announced, or heck even before then, but I just don't see it happening.

Yeah, that's true.

I'm just not sure most of these things really matter all that much in the world of pokemon, though. Some type interactions are deeply intuitive, but some of them are just made up for the heck of it--probably for pragmatic reasons. I mean, why is steel immune to poison, but rock doesn't get this immunity? Why is steel weak to fighting, for that matter? Or ground? Why does dragon resist anything it resists? Why is it weak to ice? Why is poison weak to bug? Or psychic? Why is dark weak to bug?

Trying to justify any of these would be a huge stretch. Pokemon keeps a lot of the obvious type interactions obvious, but they're hardly above doing what is necessary to try to balance things. They've proven they're not at all above retyping both pokemon and moves, as well as retconning and changing all sorts of other mechanics and elements of the game. But don't get me wrong -- I don't think a new type is happening either, let alone "Light", but, who knows what GF may be thinking.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Fairy type would be... unique. But I don't think it'd be that necessary. ;( I can't really see many advantages to a fairy typing, and it just sends a kid-ish message which Pokemon isn't necessarily trying to display, given that they're aiming it at a wider audience from the looks of the protagonists and that generally little boys won't really want fairy Pokemon, and would rather have dark/fire/steel, aka strong stuff. It may be unfair but it's true and how they'd be perceived.
Fairies aren't just petite little creatures with magic fairy dust and wings that flutter. There are all different kinds of fairy-like beings that exist in many various mythologies today. If Pokémon were to introduce a Fairy type, they don't all have to be this cute, elegant and feminine type monster. There can be larger and more masculine types that can appeal to a wider audience, specifically the guys.

There's also an advantage that should they need to retcon any of the old Pokémon, there aren't many to change. Clefairy, Clefable, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Chancey, Blissey, and Audino being the most notable.

It can be effective against Dragon, Ghost, Psychic, and Dark.
Weak against Fire, Ice, Rock, and Steel.
Resistant to Grass, Bug, Poison, and Fighting.

It's definitely an intriguing type idea, but I still have my doubts about getting any sort of new type at all. It's certainly a lot more creative than the over-hyped "Light" type though, and I sure do fancy it a lot more than the idea of there being a "Love" type.

Yeah, that's true.

I'm just not sure most of these things really matter all that much in the world of pokemon, though. Some type interactions are deeply intuitive, but some of them are just made up for the heck of it--probably for pragmatic reasons. I mean, why is steel immune to poison, but rock doesn't get this immunity? Why is steel weak to fighting, for that matter? Or ground? Why does dragon resist anything it resists? Why is it weak to ice? Why is poison weak to bug? Or psychic? Why is dark weak to bug?
Dragons being weak to ice is sort of reminicent to the dinosaurs and Ice Age theory.

Poisons aren't weak to Bug types though.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
*typo on my part

Still, even if GF made Dragons weak to Ice reminiscent of Dinosaurs and the Ice age, or whatever, I'm still not sure if balance within type weaknesses are be the only thing that GF considers if they are making new types. GF could of still made Dragon weak to ice for the sake of just... weaknesses.

Last edited:

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years

I don't know if they could use "Fairy" as a type considering the Yu-Gi-Oh series has a type by that name. In fact, alot of their types are like Pokémon's types:

Pyro - Fire
Aqua - Water
Thunder - Electric
Insect - Bug
Plant - Grass
Rock - Rock
Dragon - Dragon
Psychic - Psychic

There might be a few more but I'm not sure

Guy

just a guy
Years
If GameFreak were to introduce a new type now, then it's because they want to. There's no other real reason as to why a new type would be needed since they fixed the system's imbalance back in Gen II.

It would definitely be a good shock value to the fans though and only promote the sales even more in my opinion.

Years
I don't know if they could use "Fairy" as a type considering the Yu-Gi-Oh series has a type by that name. In fact, alot of their types are like Pokémon's types:

Pyro - Fire
Aqua - Water
Thunder - Electric
Insect - Bug
Plant - Grass
Rock - Rock
Dragon - Dragon
Psychic - Psychic

There might be a few more but I'm not sure

I didnt remember that. But with all the speculation of a "light" type by other users. I thought a "fairy" type would work better. They would be able to create more pokes as well with all the mythical creatures that are fairies both good and evil

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years

I was thinking that a Fairy type would be super effective against Fighting, Dragon, Ghost, and Dark, be resistant to its own type, Psychic, Fighting, and Dark, and be weak to Electric, Ice, Fire, and Poison.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Fairies aren't just petite little creatures with magic fairy dust and wings that flutter. There are all different kinds of fairy-like beings that exist in many various mythologies today. If Pokémon were to introduce a Fairy type, they don't all have to be this cute, elegant and feminine type monster. There can be larger and more masculine types that can appeal to a wider audience, specifically the guys.

There's also an advantage that should they need to retcon any of the old Pokémon, there aren't many to change. Clefairy, Clefable, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Chancey, Blissey, and Audino being the most notable.

It's definitely an intriguing type idea, but I still have my doubts about getting any sort of new type at all. It's certainly a lot more creative than the over-hyped "Light" type though, and I sure do fancy it a lot more than the idea of there being a "Love" type.

Dragons being weak to ice is sort of reminicent to the dinosaurs and Ice Age theory.

Poisons aren't weak to Bug types though.
Well said. There are some other Pokemon that I would like add to that list. Some are small-spirited legendaries like Mew, Celeby, Jirachi, Lake Trio. And Meloetta would more fitting for Fairy-type than normal. The more we discussed about this, the more I can accept the idea of "Fairy"-type.

Love type? I'll quit Pokemon officially if that happen. Seriously.
*typo on my part

Still, even if GF made Dragons weak to Ice reminiscent of Dinosaurs and the Ice age, or whatever, I'm still not sure if balance within type weaknesses are be the only thing that GF considers if they are making new types. GF could of still made Dragon weak to ice for the sake of just... weaknesses.

I think there is some mythology that said Dragon being weak to Ice. I don't which myth said that though.
Some match up that I thought being made up for the sake of balance are like Dark weakness to Bug (seriously I'm still puzzled about this), Bug resistance to Fighting (its even more damn confusing since Fighting is super effective to both Rock and Steel), and Steel and Ground advantage over Rock.

Whether there will be new type its all depend on GF decision. For me, it would less likely for us to have new type mainly because GF would probably try to play safe.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I've been hoping for a Light-type for quite a while, ever since I was thinking about Spiritomb and how it doesn't have any weakness. Bringing in a new type that would finally give a weakness to a Ghost/Dark-type would make it fair for everyone, otherwise if they don't... everyone would be placed at an unfair advantage for any newer Ghost/Dark Pokémon that are introduced. When I was thinking about Light-type, I was thinking that it would be:

Offense
1/2 (Not very effective) to: Grass, Fire and Electric-types
x2 (Super effective) to: Dark and Ghost-types
x0 (Has no effect) to: N/A

Defense
1/2 (Not very effective) from: Fire and Electric-types
x2 (Super effective) from: Grass, Fighting and Psychic-types
x0 (Has no effect) from: Dark-type

But then... I also was looking at the older Eeveelutions... they all seem to be based off a type that is part of nature. So then what popped into my head after thinking about forests and trees based on the name origin of "sylvania" from the new Eeveelution called Sylveon, I thought Nature-type might be also fitting.

Back