• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Standing up for Yourself.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I'll laugh something off just as easily as I'll (verbally) kick someone upside the head, I don't think about it. If I'm annoyed, then I'll make my annoyance known.

Sirfetch’d

I'm not one who is big for confrontation so before I stand up for myself I normally just avoid the entire situation if possible. Though sometimes I do have to stand up and speak how I really feel about things and I do....I just don't like it.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021
I'm not one to stand up for myself. If a problem happens between me and someone else I usually just walk away.

Years
I do a quick cost-benefit assessment, which is basically what some of you are describing above.

What do I get from the confrontation?
What does it cost/risk being in a confrontation?
Worth it?

Sometimes you can also come accross as overly-sensitive if you always confront someone, whereas you may come across as passive/weak/easy target if you never stand up for yourself. There is also the art of not quite standing up for yourself, but rather insinuating you don't care; that's why I will sometimes use sarcasm and levity to show that I don't care and there is no need for me to standup for myself. Being cool-headed is ALMOST always the best approach.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I try to leave the confrontation and try to get back to it later to talk about it calmly or ignore it has happened. It really isn't the best method...

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
There have been times when i've had people try to start fights with me during nights out, i'm not a big guy (far from it), but I certainly don't stand there and let them push me around. It was the same in school, i'd never purposely go looking for fights, but if someone tried to start, i'd stand my ground.

Online i've not had as many issues, I tend to just talk my way out of any volatile situations (and i'd like to imagine i'm a pretty affable guy lol).

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I used to shy away from any confrontation, but if someone insults me now, then I'll stand my ground. It's normally immature twelve year olds that are trying to entertain themselves by trolling someone, so they're not hard to take down.

In real life, I still shy away from confrontations, but only when it's in an area like work or something where fighting will only cause problems. If I'm anywhere else, I tend to not attract any attention to myself, and it's actually been a few years since I've really had to stand up for myself, but I'll do it if I have to. Otherwise I'm pretty laid back and will let everything just slide off.

Years
Depends of the situation. I might get angry and pull something unnecessary out, or I can laugh it off turning it into joke.

Years
I do one of three things:
  1. Passive-aggressively smile and talk to or about the other person.
  2. Blink, stare, and then walk away like nothing happened.
  3. On "special" occasions, rant and chew out the other person, releasing all of my pent-up anger on that one person.
I try to avoid direct confrontation, though I take note of who has said what over a long period of time. Most of the time, I either do not feel agitated or I am agitated but powerless and can only pick #2. Then I shift to #1 and finally #3. These are all unhealthy options.

Last edited:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
online i have no trouble at all standing up for myself. irl is a different story, it really depends on my state of mind at that moment, my confidence really fluctuates so it's just a matter of how good i feel about myself that day. i usually end up disappointing myself though - it's not that i can't deal with confrontation but i just take on a passivity and stay quiet and process what's happening and by the time i get myself together the situation is already over usually.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
is it worth it?

That's typically the question I ask myself. I would rather just walk away and not waste my time if I consider the person to be a moron

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Most of the time, fighting back isn't worth it so I keep quiet and try to remain indifferent. I got picked on for rarely standing up for myself but now it's just kinda 'uh ok' if stuff like that does come up.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I stand up for others more than I do for myself, usually I'll just be quiet enduring stuff even of there are false accusation or rumor about me.

Outlier

Eh it's hard to say because I haven't really had to stand up for myself since high school and back then I rarely ever did. These days I might speak up against slander if I hear it but I can ignore your typical petty insults in most cases.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 4, 2018
Online way more often than I used to. I also tend to make jokes of the situation and make other people look bad. But, hey if it means standing up for myself I'm all for it. Offline it really depends on the situation but I don't take shit from people as much as I used to. Mind you I've dealt with enough idiots this year. I believe I'm a stronger person in real life situations when it comes to standing up for myself, but still not there completely anyways.

Back