• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
What exactly is a "midi" file? It said that in the music hacking thread, but I have no idea what it is :S.

What exactly is a "midi" file? It said that in the music hacking thread, but it didn;t say what it was.

I'm going to give a slightly more in depth explanation: MIDI files are music files that don't actually have sound. Instead, they tell the program what notes to play. By not actually having an audio files, they save a ton of space. They are basically digital sheet music that is played by the player using synthesized instruments. You can edit them with a variety of different programs. I know personally that the music theory students at my school use these types of files to write their compositions and test them out before turning in the assignment.

Ok I got that, the only problem im having is where do I put that once I flip etc? Like, what do I need to replace and what program do I use to replace? Sorry for being such a newb!

You need to go to the table. The offset of said table is found in the ini for OWERE. The first pointer should be the one to change, but just make sure.

Using A-Tack to try to recreate Scald. I gave the Hit + Burn effect to Water Sport and turned it into an attack. It does damage and all, but it doesn't have any additional effect. Is something wrong with this particular attack to use as a base, or does the attack need to have some sort of chance to do something else in the first place in order to be able to have an effect? Maybe it needs to be a damaging move to start with to have such an effect applied? I'm looking for more general information about A-Tack, because there is none anywhere on the internet.

I don't think the burn effect is guarnteed. Extra effects like that tend to only happen a certain percentage of the time. Your best bet is to learn battle scripting from Jambo's tut and then open up the effect and see for yourself how it works.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
I don't think the burn effect is guarnteed. Extra effects like that tend to only happen a certain percentage of the time. Your best bet is to learn battle scripting from Jambo's tut and then open up the effect and see for yourself how it works.

I want it to be a chance to burn, not 100% burn. Giving Water Sport the "hit + burn" effect, though, never results in burning the foe. I must've tested the move at least 100 times, it never burned anything once. I doubt I'm that unlucky.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 29, 2021
1.95 is a highly buddy beta version that was never finished. Use 1.92 instead. The only safe thing in 1.95 is the actual drawing of the maps. Editing wild data, creating maps, adding events, changing tiles, non of that is truely safe. The only part that is good is using the extra tools that were added to draw the maps. Do everything else in 1.92.

Thanks for answering my question, but now I'm worried about this :(
Now that you mentioned it I should probably use 1.92. I've been using 1.95 only for tile inserting and mapping because it's easier imo, so I didn't insert or change anything else. I hope nothing will be corrupted :/
Did someone actually have major problems with 1.95 in the past?

Years
  • Seen Jun 27, 2013
Hello everyone. I have a quick question, I just started hacking Yesterday and i am using Advance Map for FR. So here's my dilemma, How can i set the initial spawn point in the game. I erased pallet town completely and created my own city to initially start off of. But when ever i start the game it doesn't spawn me and i get stuck in a black screen. Any solutions? Your help is greatly appreciated.

karatekid552

Years
Thanks for answering my question, but now I'm worried about this :(
Now that you mentioned it I should probably use 1.92. I've been using 1.95 only for tile inserting and mapping because it's easier imo, so I didn't insert or change anything else. I hope nothing will be corrupted :/
Did someone actually have major problems with 1.95 in the past?

I have personally corrupted several maps and broken my rom using it. As I have said before, you can draw your maps in it, that is safe. But makeing new maps, inserting events, and that other stuff is buggy. Those parts don't really have any new features since 1.92, (in fact only being made harder because everything was changed back to pure hex) so use 1.92 for that.

I want it to be a chance to burn, not 100% burn. Giving Water Sport the "hit + burn" effect, though, never results in burning the foe. I must've tested the move at least 100 times, it never burned anything once. I doubt I'm that unlucky.

Possibly that effect is broken? Go to a move that you know has a hit + burn effect (Ember? Flamethrower?) and try those effects. There may be more than one hit + burn effect.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018

Did you remember to set the effect chance to something greater than 0? If you don't do this, it will never happen.

I doubt you skipped over something that obvious, but since no-one else has asked you something that obvious, I figured I should maybe challenge that preconception!

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2014
Hello

Where i can post pokemon rom hack request ?
(i looking for any gba poke without IV/EV system or only without IV sustem)

Greetings.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
Possibly that effect is broken? Go to a move that you know has a hit + burn effect (Ember? Flamethrower?) and try those effects. There may be more than one hit + burn effect.

Gave the same Pokemon Ember and my move for testing purposes already. Ember burns, my move doesn't.

Did you remember to set the effect chance to something greater than 0? If you don't do this, it will never happen.

I doubt you skipped over something that obvious, but since no-one else has asked you something that obvious, I figured I should maybe challenge that preconception!

Yeah. I was thinking there was something like this. A-Tack (Or perhaps my version of A-Tack) has no such option for this. Was this added in another version?

Or do I have to script to select the chance?

karatekid552

Years
Gave the same Pokemon Ember and my move for testing purposes already. Ember burns, my move doesn't.

Yeah. I was thinking there was something like this. A-Tack (Or perhaps my version of A-Tack) has no such option for this. Was this added in another version?

Or do I have to script to select the chance?

There is another program called Move Editor which also works well. Another option is the move editor in PGE by Gamer2020.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
I'm fairly certain the zeroes are there as part of the Move ID, not as a buffer. The games read moves as half-words (2 bytes), so even though Mega Punch is 05, it is really 0005 (though remember that, because it's in Little Endian, you have to reverse the order to 05 00).

So, if you wanted to put in something like Cosmic Power (0x142), you would separate the bytes into 01 42, reverse them to make 42 01 and put that into the Move Tutor table.
Thank you very much, that worked perfectly.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone looked into altering the AI for battles to either expand it to higher levels, or to just make trainers harder in general?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
In A-Trainer next to the pokemon there's an AI Value box, putting it up for each pokemon will make it look like the trainer is good, but it's individual pokemon.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
In A-Trainer next to the pokemon there's an AI Value box, putting it up for each pokemon will make it look like the trainer is good, but it's individual pokemon.

Actually, the value you refer to is the IVs of the Pokémon in question, not the AI (it's mislabelled in A-Trainer).

The "Unknown" value on the first page is the actual AI value. The minimum AI strength is 0 and the maximum is 7.

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2013
In advance trainer when I open up the rom I get an error. It says "Subscript out or range. DrawTile8@modLZ77" Any suggestions?

karatekid552

Years
In advance trainer when I open up the rom I get an error. It says "Subscript out or range. DrawTile8@modLZ77" Any suggestions?

This was asked a while ago, but I can't remember the answer. Judging by the error itself, I would say it is having trouble decompressing the 8th tile of one of the trainer/pokemon images (which are compressed via Lz77).

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
Right, but I believe there is also an AI value for the trainer, and I was talking about actually hacking the game to increase this AI level even more so that trainers are as close to human-level competitive battling as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back