• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Question probably better suited for this thread and not the XY Q&A thread haha.

Going to run a Rain Dance Seadra, which might be really weird but I don't have the opportunity to evolve it, and I just like Seadra. My question is rather I should go with Eviolite or Damp Rock. I feel like the way I EV train may depend on it, i.e. if my defenses somehow hold up w/Eviolite, Rain might go away before I can take advantage of it with my sweepers.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Question probably better suited for this thread and not the XY Q&A thread haha.

Going to run a Rain Dance Seadra, which might be really weird but I don't have the opportunity to evolve it, and I just like Seadra. My question is rather I should go with Eviolite or Damp Rock. I feel like the way I EV train may depend on it, i.e. if my defenses somehow hold up w/Eviolite, Rain might go away before I can take advantage of it with my sweepers.

Just ask someone in PC to trade-evolve Seadra for you.

Anyways, Seadra is really dependent on Eviolite to function. Because of this, it's often relegated to a support role, and Kingdra is still the superior rain sweeper. That, and Seadra's special bulk is terrible, even with Eviolite.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Well I don't have internet capabilities on my DS at the moment. But I would like to try out Seadra, so I guess I'll go with Eviolite, thanks again.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is it impossible to get Absol with both Super power and Play Rough?
What is the preferable nature for mega absol?

Yes, it's impossible, even if Poke Bank came out right now. Why? Because:
-Superpower is a Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver/Black 2/White 2 tutor move
-Play Rough is an egg move

Also, Mega Absol should be Naive to take advantage of its increased Special Attack and Speed in conjunction with Fire Blast.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 6, 2017
Since I can't get Giga Drain on my Offensive Quiver Dance Volcarona (Timid) and I'm not cheating to get the correct Hidden Power, what are other good options for that last move slot?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Shouldnt M.Absol take advantage of its massive Atk?Or is it wise to go for a mix spread in Atk and Sp.Atk?

You're missing the point. Mega Absol is now played as a (physically based) mixed attacker. The Naive nature is in here to give more power to Fire Blast as opposed to Jolly:
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch/Night Slash
-Play Rough
-Fire Blast
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Absolite
Ability: Super Luck (in case you've forgotten, any ability the original Absol has will be replaced by its Mega Evo's ability, Magic Bounce. This is in here because Super Luck is more useful than Pressure on something as frail as Absol)

or
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit/Night Slash
-Play Rough
-Fire Blast
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Absolite
Ability: Super Luck

Since I can't get Giga Drain on my Offensive Quiver Dance Volcarona (Timid) and I'm not cheating to get the correct Hidden Power, what are other good options for that last move slot?

Psychic is your best bet for now.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Look at this Hawlucha Set - To use untill Flying Gem is Availible

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
252 attk/252 speed
Ability - Unburden

Sky Attack - To Activate Unburden ASAP
Acrobatics - reliable stab
Hi Jump Kick
Hone Claws.

The Flying Gem isn't Available apparently, So this Is a set to use until then. Are there other attacks or EV spreads I should consider?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
Swords Dance is much better than Hone Claws. Sure, Hone Claws improves High Jump Kick's accuracy, but the extra +1 boost that SD provides is more useful. Also, consider using Leichi Berry + Substitute instead of Sky Attack + Power Herb.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What is the best way or pokemon to counter Mega Kangaskhan?

Mega Kangaskhan can be countered more easily if it hasn't racked up any Power-Up Punch boosts. Also, Ghosts like Gourgeist and Trevenant can switch in and burn Mega Kangaskhan with Will-o-Wisp. Skarmory can phaze Mega Kangaskhan out with Whirlwind. Mega Aggron takes Mega Kangaskhan's attacks easily thanks to its Shuckle-level Defense and Filter. Those are some examples.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
How is this IV spread on my shiny bisharp?

Bisharp - (Adamant) : 23 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

Only if that 31 was in HP instead of SPA will that 23 make much of a difference from a 31?
Took me 200 eggs for this shiny ><

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
Bisharp - (Adamant) : 23 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

Only if that 31 was in HP instead of SPA will that 23 make much of a difference from a 31?
Took me 200 eggs for this shiny ><
That should be good enough. I doubt it'll make a significant difference. The Atk and Spd IVs are most important for Bisharp, and those are perfect.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 11, 2013
So I'm just considering playing competitive, and need some help...

As title says, I'm planning to start playing more competitively, and I need some advice because I've never actually played any of the games competitively so realise it's a lot difference than regular playthroughs.

First off I'd like to say I used to play quite a bit of Gen 4 on simulators, so I don't need battling explained to me much.
Also I understand how IVs, natures and EVs affect pokemon, so that should be fine.

I guess my main problems are:
1a. How important are IVs? I mean how many IVs should I be trying to get perfect, seeing as I've heard it can be a real pain getting any more than 3 perfect.
1b. Also, which gen do you think is the best for breeding for IVs? From what I've seen, x and y look the best due to introduction of destiny knot and availability of pokemon with naturally high IVs because of friend safari, but I'd still like to check with you guys.

2. How far back should I start from? Like are there any pokemon which can only learn moves in an earlier gen than X and Y? I'd hate to breed a great pokemon only to find out it can only learn it's best moveset if it was imported from Platinum or whatever.

Other than those main questions, any advice you think is of importance to a new player would be greatly appreciated!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 24, 2013
OK why is a Tyranitar quicker than my wash rotom. Why is a Lucario quicker than my Zapdos. Its happened a lot. My Garchomp is outspeed by other Garchomps, but mine has jolly nature. And all three of my pokemon mentioned have perfect ivs in speed. Do people use cheats online? what else could it possibly be? They were not Mega as well and its happened in quite a few different games. And it is know move like trick room. l just played again and there lapras was quciker than my mega mawille(who had been in for 3 turns already). l just don't get this. PLease explain.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
OK why is a Tyranitar quicker than my wash rotom. Why is a Lucario quicker than my Zapdos. Its happened a lot. My Garchomp is outspeed by other Garchomps, but mine has jolly nature. And all three of my pokemon mentioned have perfect ivs in speed. Do people use cheats online? what else could it possibly be? They were not Mega as well and its happened in quite a few different games. And it is know move like trick room. l just played again and there lapras was quciker than my mega mawille(who had been in for 3 turns already). l just don't get this. PLease explain.

If your Pokemon has maximized speed and a Pokemon with less base speed, even if maximized through natures and IVs/EVs is still outspeeding your Pokemon, they are probably using an item or priority moves to make them faster/go first. Be sure to check your EVs.

As title says, I'm planning to start playing more competitively, and I need some advice because I've never actually played any of the games competitively so realise it's a lot difference than regular playthroughs.

First off I'd like to say I used to play quite a bit of Gen 4 on simulators, so I don't need battling explained to me much.
Also I understand how IVs, natures and EVs affect pokemon, so that should be fine.

I guess my main problems are:
1a. How important are IVs? I mean how many IVs should I be trying to get perfect, seeing as I've heard it can be a real pain getting any more than 3 perfect.
1b. Also, which gen do you think is the best for breeding for IVs? From what I've seen, x and y look the best due to introduction of destiny knot and availability of pokemon with naturally high IVs because of friend safari, but I'd still like to check with you guys.

2. How far back should I start from? Like are there any pokemon which can only learn moves in an earlier gen than X and Y? I'd hate to breed a great pokemon only to find out it can only learn it's best moveset if it was imported from Platinum or whatever.

Other than those main questions, any advice you think is of importance to a new player would be greatly appreciated!
1- IVs are very important. Under no circumstance should you use a Pokemon with subpar IVs. But that doesn't mean perfect IVs. For example, a trick room Pokemon would not want high Speed IVs.
1b- X and Y would indeed be the best game to breed because of the Destiny Knot.

2. There are indeed Pokemon who can only learn moves in Gen V or even Gen IV. But you can't transfer these Pokemon to X/Y yet anyhow. Look through Pokemon movesets, if there is a Pokemon you think needs a move that can only be learned in a previous generation, go ahead and invest in an older game later on. But for now I think it would be efficient to stick with X and Y.

I'd also like to mention that even if you have your Pokemon with the right IVs, EVs, nature and a good moveset, you can still lose even to people who don't breed and EV train. This is because luck plays a big part in Pokemon- a move with good accuracy can still fail and they often do in the most inconvenient moments.

Last edited:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years

Base speeds, friend. Base speeds. Every Pokemon has a different base speed value. Combine it with natures and EV training and you'll see exactly why all sorts of stuff is outspeeding you. You can get a look at these values Right Here.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
Defensive Talonflame?

I was EV training my Talonflame for high speed to capitalize on its already fast base stats but I realized that there was no need to do this because of Gale Wing. Would it be smart to invest my EVs on defense/hp or defense/spD? I'm really new to trying to make competitive pokemon so any help is appreciated.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 12, 2013
Hey all, I never really got into competitive battling but I'm trying to now and would appreciate any advice from others who do so. I'm having trouble deciding on non team and a moveset/EV spread for my eventual dragonite. I currently have an adamant dratini with perfect IV's except Sp. Atk obviously. I'm not sure what moveset to use for it and how many EV's for each stat. The only other Pokemon I have so far in my team is a careful Skarmory with perfect IV's in everything except Sp. Atk. The EV spread I chose to use was 224 HP, 32 Def, and 252 Sp. Def. I wanted him to be well rounded with HP, def, and sp def. His moveset will likely be spikes, toxic, roost, and a physical flying attack. Please help if you can, any advise is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back