• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

who is not a fan of mega evolution

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Not me. The concept was ripped from Digimon is interesting and could potentially balance out some otherwise lackluster Pokemon, like Mawile and Banette. Unfortunately it played more of a fanservice role at first. I love me some Mewtwo but two mega evolutions is a little over the top, especially for a Pokemon that's already capable. Not to mention some of the designs are atrocious. There are a few I like because they aren't drastically different than their original forms. But Edge Master Absol? Covergirl Ampharos? Abamasnow the Hedgehog? Half-Digested Slowbro? Amputated Salamence? Overdosed Heracross? Lemongrab Alakazam? These are all ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

If mega evolution was reserved to starters and Pokemon that needed a boost, I wouldn't have much to complain about.

scotchkorean27

Programmer/Pastry Enthusiast
Years
I get why megas happened, but I don't like how they were done. It's super unbalanced, and I frankly just dont like the general aesthetic of it. Mega Salamence looks like a stealth bomber collided with a giant ice cream cake.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I don't think there's a single mega evolution I like. :/ When they were first announced, I was outright terrified that one of my favourites would get one and I'd be forced to try to warm up to the whole idea of them but... thankfully, that didn't happen and it still hasn't happened. Fingers crossed that the mechanic stays the hell away from my favourite lines.

Like most people in this thread, I find them really unbalanced. I don't play competitively and I don't even like battling in the games very much so I don't like the emphasis it places on mega evolution in Gen VI. It makes it even harder to justify using your favourites when only a handful of Pokémon get to use the super cool new mechanic that they're pushing. I realize I sound kinda hypocritical ("god I hope my favourites don't get mega evolutions" -> "none of my favourites have mega evolutions so it's no fun") but I just wish they weren't a thing at all. :s

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I love the idea of it, it gives some weaker Pokémon (Pidgeot, Beedrill, Lopunny) a fighting chance in the metagame, although there is still a heavy amount of unbalance even between the Megas; Pokémon like Kangaskhan, Gengar, and Rayquaza laugh at the aforementioned Megas.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I have to be honest here... the mega evolutions are weird. It reminds me way too much of Digimon. I do use them because they make the pokemon seem stronger, especially during tough battles such as with gym leaders (IE. I've used mega manectric against the flying gym in OR). Other than that, I could careless about them.

I mean, at first... I was pretty excited. However, what really made me mad was how they didn't give Flygon one. They could have done it. If they can do other pokemon with ease, why not Flygon as well? Maybe I'm just being bitter about it, considering Flygon is one of my most favorite pokemon... but still. I'm sure we all know this pokemon deserved a mega evolution far more than those that shouldn't have gotten them (example: Gardevoir, Glalie, Slowbro).

Also, what's the deal with Charizard having two mega formes, and the other starters with them only get one? That makes no sense to me. I think the whole mega evolution system is corrupted because of that.

Just my two cents...

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I never really got why people always say Mega Evolution is a Digimon rip-off. The whole "super powerful form brought on by sheer willpower/bonds/emotions/whatever thing" is kinda a common thing in shonen manga and anime and Japanese-made video games. It's not ripping off one specific series so much as it's just an often-used idea.

Also, what's the deal with Charizard having two mega formes, and the other starters with them only get one? That makes no sense to me.
Popularity, mainly. Charizard is by far the most popular Kanto starter and possibly the most popular starter Pokemon, period. Mewtwo is possibly the most popular of the legendary Pokemon. And so how do you get people excited for the new feature that you're heavily marketing? Give it to Pokemon that are liked by a lot of people. Give the most popular ones TWO fucking mega evolutions while you're at it. People wouldn't get terribly excited for Mega Evoultion if you showcased it with less popular Pokemon like.....Lumineon or Fearow or something. inb4 lumineon and fearow fans come in and say they'd be excited for lumineon/fearow megas

I don't dislike Mega Evolution in general, but I do wish that they would've a) been more balance conscious with it (Mewtwo is plenty strong and doesn't need megas, Parental Bond is a broken-ass ability, etc), though because of the aforementioned reason they'll never do that, and b)they shouldn't have been so shortsighted with the writing with it in X/Y.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 5, 2021
At the beginning I thought they would ruin the competitive game but it seems it's playable enough (surely more than BW)

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I don't like them at all. I don't really care all that much about stats and such, but most all of them just look ridiculous beyond words. I think they're insults to the originals

Back