• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive team for VGC

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
This team is designed for Doubles VGC. Im sorry I didnt make it specific.

I guess this is a very traditional competitive team. With some predictability. Looking at this on paper. It doesnt look like I have enough bulk on this team. Im not sure if I should change any Evs but I dont see any decent bulks for any of my guys that dont have bulk. I am will to change Talonflame and one of my Megas which I am sure two is too much but I dont use them at the same time.

So the goal is Clefable to distract the opponent and allow it to take as much damage as reasonable possible before it is KO. As it does that Talon can launch Tailwind or Khan Launch Power-Up. Depending on my look I'll U-turn Talon and put in Rotom or Metagross. Khan will do what Khan does best and beat people up lol.

So my question is which one of these gives you most concern and whod you replace that Mon with?

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Chomp is the standard Chomp with a Rock slide spamming. Dont like Stone Edges lower accuracy. Late game player

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Protect

Metagross is also my late game player to maximize attack especially when its Mega Evolved. It OHKO many opponents it does neutral damage to. I think it has enough to do without its stone but I would rather keep it on it. It does appreciate the speed boost that Talonflames tailwind provides.

Talonflame @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- U-turn

Standard Tailwind support. Allows Chomp and Metagross to strike first and hard as possible. Its frailty concerns me which is why Sash is on it. Willing to take it out for bulk. Usually comes out first.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 28 SpA / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Im making her the follow me support which I really enjoy. I couldve gone with Togekiss for follow me/Tailwind support but Togekiss has more weaknesses than Clefable. I went with a Bold instead of Calm to focus more on its Physical defense since many of its weaknesses are physical. Clefable is my leader. Follow me prevents Kang and Talon being double teamed and allow me to keep them on the field longer and provides a redirect when Chomp is on the field against Fairies.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Early Bird (building up BP to get ability capsule)
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out

Someones comes out first. I went with Return just so it doesnt wear down faster. Appreciates Clefable allowing it to utilize Power-up Punch at least once.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpA / 44 SpD
Modest Nature
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Late game sweeper. I was running Hex with it but I made it weak to timely attacks that would end it late in the battle. Discharge is there for hitting both opponents. When Chomp is on the field he wont care just as much as Rotom wont care when Chomp uses Earthquake.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I never really liked U-turn on Talonflame tbh. It does so little damage you might as well just switch out manually. Usually find it best on slower 'mons and things that can do more damage when they VS/UT like Mega Manectric or Lando-T. Quick Guard, Will-o-Wisp, Taunt, Roost, or Protect are things I'd put in that slot.

If bulk is a concern, Talonflame does have a number of bulkier sets, though what I'm thinking of may or may not be more suited to singles. You could try running 88HP/252Atk/168Spe with Jolly to give a bit of bulk while still outspeeding max speed base 115s while retaining decent offensive presence (and you'll have Tailwind up too so....)

The other thing is that your team doesn't like burns. Yeah Clefable and Talonflame can absorb some of that, but they might not always be able to and your team is reliant on physical attackers to eliminate the opposing team (and while Rotom doesn't lose power from being burned, it still doesn't like the chip damage). idk what to do about that though. Maybe swap Metagross for Heatran or Aegislash?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I never really liked U-turn on Talonflame tbh. It does so little damage you might as well just switch out manually. Usually find it best on slower 'mons and things that can do more damage when they VS/UT like Mega Manectric or Lando-T. Quick Guard, Will-o-Wisp, Taunt, Roost, or Protect are things I'd put in that slot.

If bulk is a concern, Talonflame does have a number of bulkier sets, though what I'm thinking of may or may not be more suited to singles. You could try running 88HP/252Atk/168Spe with Jolly to give a bit of bulk while still outspeeding max speed base 115s while retaining decent offensive presence (and you'll have Tailwind up too so....)

The other thing is that your team doesn't like burns. Yeah Clefable and Talonflame can absorb some of that, but they might not always be able to and your team is reliant on physical attackers to eliminate the opposing team (and while Rotom doesn't lose power from being burned, it still doesn't like the chip damage). idk what to do about that though. Maybe swap Metagross for Heatran or Aegislash?

I wasnt Specific this was for Doubles in VGC. Not Singles. That was my bad

skyburial

Orca Hype
Years
There's no real reason to run Garchomp over Landorus-T in VGC. It has more weaknesses and less coverage than the flying dog, and Landorus has the benefit of Intimidate for opposing Kangaskhan and Landorus.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf / Life Orb / Focus Sash / Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- U-Turn / Protect / Rock Slide

Scarf is still the most popular set, but the other 3 should always be considered as the paradigm can be your ally. Most Zard-Y are calced to survive Lando's Rock Slide these days so Stone Edge picks up a nice KO and is otherwise useful for the high crit chance. The last slot differs based on taste. I recommend running Protect on the Orb and Sash sets. Rock Slide should be considered over U-Turn if you're running Stone Edge, but either one is useful.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
There's no real reason to run Garchomp over Landorus-T in VGC. It has more weaknesses and less coverage than the flying dog, and Landorus has the benefit of Intimidate for opposing Kangaskhan and Landorus.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf / Life Orb / Focus Sash / Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- U-Turn / Protect / Rock Slide

Scarf is still the most popular set, but the other 3 should always be considered as the paradigm can be your ally. Most Zard-Y are calced to survive Lando's Rock Slide these days so Stone Edge picks up a nice KO and is otherwise useful for the high crit chance. The last slot differs based on taste. I recommend running Protect on the Orb and Sash sets. Rock Slide should be considered over U-Turn if you're running Stone Edge, but either one is useful.

That does sound better. How does one go about getting a perfect or ideal Landorus Or do I just keep resetting till I get what I want?

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
I was about to say, if you are using Garchomp - especially with the purpose you have in mind, Yache Berry is going to be minimally beneficial in place of something else.

Also, your Metagross should you be keeping it as your mega, probably wants a tough claws move that's not steel. You have Iron Head and Bullet Punch, which both get Tough Claws bonus, but Earthquake does not. Zen Headbutt might be worth looking into over one of those, annnnd remember Earthquake while decent coverage does NOT get stab or tough claws bonus for mega meta.

skyburial

Orca Hype
Years
That does sound better. How does one go about getting a perfect or ideal Landorus Or do I just keep resetting till I get what I want?

I would recommend catching an Adamant Ralts with Synchronize, and leading in battle with that as you catch Landorus. Gives you a higher chance (I think it's 50%?) that the legend in question will share Ralts's Nature.

Beyond that, yeah. Soft reset until you get viable IV's. I settled on HP, Attack, Special Defense and Speed for mine.

skyburial

Orca Hype
Years
I'd honestly recommend Bisharp over Metagross for a Mega Kang team. People will try to counter your Kang with Landorus-T and Bisharp is a counter for that guy. Or you could run Milotic over Rotom-W.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off/Low Kick
- Iron Head
- Protect

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
Years
Never been the biggest fan of fully-physical Talonflame. I run the following set (similar to Se Jun Park's):

Talonflame (F) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 148 Atk / 108 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Taunt/Tailwind
- Quick Guard

Quick Guard is great for allowing a teammate to boost/status the opponent since Mega Kangaskhan's Fake Out and Acrobatics/Brave Bird from other Talonflame is so prevalent in VGC.

As mentioned above, I'd replace Garchomp with Landorus-T. A somewhat unusual set, but one that works well for me:

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Serious Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off/Superpower
- Protect
- Rock Slide

Just figured I'd mention it since you seemed to be going with the Yache-Berry-theme. I also agree with the Bisharp > Metagross.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realise how old this thread was.

Last edited:
Back