• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Battling Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti

return of the king
Years
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but the tier lists have been updated: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3886607&postcount=3

Some Pokemon rose a tier or two, while others dropped down. For instance, Gastrodon was in RU, but it jumped up to OU (I was surprised by this, and after a bit of research, it was Storm Drain that made Gastrodon viable enough for OU). Tier drops include: Darmanitan, Machamp, Whimsicott, Porygon2, Hippowdon, Tornadus and Chandelure from OU to UU.

I apologize if I got this information mixed up; I just thought it would be worth sharing.

This would definitely be the place.

I haven't been around the metagame at all really, but even when I was playing I heard a lot of Whimsicott bashing, so its fall is not surprising. Same with Machamp because of Conkeldurr's presence, and Chandy was in the same boat as Whimsicott (and I agreed with the hate - it was really easy to take advantage of). The real implications are for the UU game though, which I've been wanting to get into...and I might now that Machamp is in! <3

I'm still waiting for the suspect test results to come in for OU. While I take personal satisfaction in the growing support for Excadrill getting the boot since I had to hear about how indefensible the position was during the first several suspect tests, I don't actually think he's broken! It will be interesting to see the results though.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So yeah, going off of the above replay, what was the worst hax you've ever had. By worst, it can be whatever just made you rage, whether it be continuous and statistically ridiculous luck, or luck causing you to lose an important match or good game.

Uhhh Eeelektross used to get OHKO'd with crits like all the time, and it invested in one of the defences (of which it usually got hit by) lol.

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but the tier lists have been updated: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3886607&postcount=3

Some Pokemon rose a tier or two, while others dropped down. For instance, Gastrodon was in RU, but it jumped up to OU (I was surprised by this, and after a bit of research, it was Storm Drain that made Gastrodon viable enough for OU). Tier drops include: Darmanitan, Machamp, Whimsicott, Porygon2, Hippowdon, Tornadus and Chandelure from OU to UU.

I apologize if I got this information mixed up; I just thought it would be worth sharing.

Oh how Yoshikko is going to be happy with this lool.

I'm still waiting for the suspect test results to come in for OU. While I take personal satisfaction in the growing support for Excadrill getting the boot since I had to hear about how indefensible the position was during the first several suspect tests, I don't actually think he's broken! It will be interesting to see the results though.

I'm looking forward to the results too, for no particular reason... just interested to see ;x

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
As far as the suspect testing goes, I'd put money on nothing being banned and Excadrill getting a majority (meaning it's auto-suspect next round). I just have a strong feeling that most people really didn't have heavy support for a specific nomination save perhaps Exca but I don't think it's going to be banned, I guess.

I like the UU dropdowns. Darmanitan is going to be insane strong (especially when Chandelure goes BL). Nothing in UU can really do anything about Chandelure save the newly dropped down Porygon2 with Trace and I think P2 usage will slowly increase when people realize that. Machamp is cool because it beats Froslass and Veil abuse as well as checks hail teams in general. Really neat stuff, tbh. UU looks fun to play.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
So PO has competition!

So, what do you guys think of this new sim, Pokemon Showdown? Will you use it over PO, or at the very least, will you try it out? Do you think it will ever see the light of day?

Discuss, etc.

It might be picky but I don't really like the design of it (okay just the colours, I like PO's! :x) However I'm pretty sure it'll eventually be the one that is used more just for having better features, so there probably will be no choice but to use it in the future since if nobody is using PO, yeaaah.

"Spectating a battle gives you the full log, not just from the point you started watching."
^ I like this.

"Its team chooser is built into the challenge window."
^ I dislike this.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Why is there never anyone on? There used to be about ten on at any time of day I was on but now when I go on, no one is there.

e.e

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Why is there never anyone on? There used to be about ten on at any time of day I was on but now when I go on, no one is there.

e.e
Activity has always declined around this time. Everyone's schedule suddenly got bigger etc. I know I'll be hanging around a lot more in the next few weeks when football clears up for me, and I'm sure other people will gradually come back too.

edit: so rain stall is annoying as hell.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
edit: so rain stall is annoying as hell.

Omg rain, I swear it's all I ever face. I can generally stand a chance against sun (haven't really faced hail/sand :x) but rain idk it's usually annoying for me. What sucks is that the main issue is usually Politoed, lol.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

Omg rain, I swear it's all I ever face. I can generally stand a chance against sun (haven't really faced hail/sand :x) but rain idk it's usually annoying for me. What sucks is that the main issue is usually Politoed, lol.

But Ferrothorn can easily take on rain teams. IMO, the only Pokemon it would have a hard time against in a rain team is Toxicroak, who can hit it for super effective damage. The damage it takes from Iron Barbs can also be healed by Dry Skin.

Also, here's something I don't get: whenever Spikes and Stealth Rock are options on a Pokemon's sets, why is Spikes the primary option? Personally, I like Stealth Rock because of how it hits all types of Pokemon, though some of them resist it (and 4 Pokemon have 4x resists to it).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
But Ferrothorn can easily take on rain teams. IMO, the only Pokemon it would have a hard time against in a rain team is Toxicroak, who can hit it for super effective damage. The damage it takes from Iron Barbs can also be healed by Dry Skin.

Also, here's something I don't get: whenever Spikes and Stealth Rock are options on a Pokemon's sets, why is Spikes the primary option? Personally, I like Stealth Rock because of how it hits all types of Pokemon, though some of them resist it (and 4 Pokemon have 4x resists to it).

Well, Jirachi can take most of the team (aka tenta/toed/croak after like 2 CMs) only thing is toed usually uses perish song and boom, and there's nothing I really want to switch out to so I guess Ferrothorn could work but I'm trying out Whimsicott which should be able to encore etc toed SO WE SHALL SEE. Other than that I really have no other issues with rain, lol.

yeah idek, 'tis why most of mine are immune to spikes lol :x SR hurts though..

Years
My team is very weak to rain stall, as Quagsire and Chansey are untouchable as a core, Rain Stall is definitely potent this gen, albeit I do feel like the metagame has now become Ninetales+Dugtrio+Volcarona. Normally, I beat these teams if I can get rid of Dugtrio, but dear god it is a chore. I have to play insanely conservative with Heatran as I absolutely cannot afford to let it snap its balloon early, rendering it Duggy bait.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022

I always feel like everything on a rain team should at least be able to deal with Ferrothorn and if it absolutely can't then really Ferro isn't walling the entirety of a rain team forever. You can only take so many Specs Hydro Pumps... plus things like Toxicroak, Dragonite (whether Sub/DD or Specs Hurricane), Tornadus, Scizor... the list goes on and on. I don't really like using Ferrothorn as it's incredibly predictable and honestly people have found so many workarounds that I'm just like meh, it's Ferrothorn. Maybe I'll try a Curse set since finding an effective gimmick is awesome but until then I don't think I'll be using a Ferrothorn.

Spikes is rarer than SR, ergo it's usually preferred because you can fit SR on many more things.

Well, Jirachi can take most of the team (aka tenta/toed/croak after like 2 CMs) only thing is toed usually uses perish song and boom, and there's nothing I really want to switch out to so I guess Ferrothorn could work but I'm trying out Whimsicott which should be able to encore etc toed SO WE SHALL SEE. Other than that I really have no other issues with rain, lol.

yeah idek, 'tis why most of mine are immune to spikes lol :x SR hurts though..

yeah stop using flying types noob

Toxic Spikes are really deadly in this metagame. Unless you're running like mono-immune, it nails everything and all of the common spinners too (...save tenta) and even helps win the weather war. Toxic Spikes are so insanely useful in this metagame, really. Then again, I don't ever want to play a rain stall vs rain stall game either lol. THATD BE FUN

My team is very weak to rain stall, as Quagsire and Chansey are untouchable as a core, Rain Stall is definitely potent this gen, albeit I do feel like the metagame has now become Ninetales+Dugtrio+Volcarona. Normally, I beat these teams if I can get rid of Dugtrio, but dear god it is a chore. I have to play insanely conservative with Heatran as I absolutely cannot afford to let it snap its balloon early, rendering it Duggy bait.

Rain and sun teams are getting more and more popular as the usage of sand declines slightly. And yeah... those sun teams are insane. Maybe those people who didn't want Excadrill banned really knew what they were talking about. );

It'll be a chore to come up with a decent nonweather team that can actually deal with the insane offensive pressure of sun teams + the defensive presence of rain stall. I don't even know where to begin.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
not using flying types fool! owait gliscor, okay and the dragon but that totally doesn't count. :3 nvm apparently two = most of in where my brain was at, i keep thinking jirachi has levitate for some stupid reason when thinking about it lol.

oh. toxic spikes is definitely the worst to face & come across. :(
more reasons i love jirachi

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2012
Toxic Spikes is the first thing I set up. And if I get lucky, I get someone who tries to set up DD on my lead (forretress, who is ****ing king) and after I set up all my hazards (full TS + Stealth Rock) and he hits me, Red Card makes all his work useless - and I can also hit EQ on the guy next in his team (and if that doesn't work, I have two more back up tactics to get rid of the mother****ers).

I think Excadrill shouldn't be banned for two very basic reasons:
-It's so ****ing easy to counter it's not even funny. I mean it, even with air balloon, everything is super effective against it except the Latis with Dragon Pulse + Psyshock, but really, normally teams have at least one bulky/fast water or fire type. Or a fighter.
-Other weather

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Toxic Spikes is the first thing I set up. And if I get lucky, I get someone who tries to set up DD on my lead (forretress, who is ****ing king) and after I set up all my hazards (full TS + Stealth Rock) and he hits me, Red Card makes all his work useless - and I can also hit EQ on the guy next in his team (and if that doesn't work, I have two more back up tactics to get rid of the mother****ers).

I think Excadrill shouldn't be banned for two very basic reasons:
-It's so ****ing easy to counter it's not even funny. I mean it, even with air balloon, everything is super effective against it except the Latis with Dragon Pulse + Psyshock, but really, normally teams have at least one bulky/fast water or fire type. Or a fighter.
-Other weather
That's an interesting idea and I've never really thought it before. Red Card Forretress.. To be honest though, I like Gyro Ball better than Earthquake because then you can nail Espeon, who is Forry's greatest enemy.

It's impossible to fullstop counter. Air Balloon is risky because as you switch in it could just use another move and then you'd be outta luck. It was just incredibly centralizing and with an SD, it still did heavy damage to those bulky Water types, OHKO'd Fire types, and nearly massacres things like Conkeldurr. Plus it outspeeds everything thanks to Sand Rush.

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2012
not using flying types fool! owait gliscor, okay and the dragon but that totally doesn't count. :3 nvm apparently two = most of in where my brain was at, i keep thinking jirachi has levitate for some stupid reason when thinking about it lol.

oh. toxic spikes is definitely the worst to face & come across. :(
more reasons i love jirachi

Still imune for steel type. I hate Jirachi and his kind (say... Celebi, Whimsiscott and friends) both because they are annoying to the max and they suck when they use them (happens with tons of steel types, just not my style >.<)

Speed Boost. If not Blaziken (I use the PO Wi-Fi server and it's not banned there, so I use Blaziken), something like Sharpedo does the trick too. Just the first turn and the protect boost are enough to outspeed Sand Rush excadrill (at least with Blaziken, and mine has his EVs away from speed because I know I can get it with SB).

That or anything priority, which is a basis in any team really just for revenge kills.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
With Excadrill and Thundurus being Uber now, I assume this tier will get lots of new strategies. What do you think?
Sun teams and Rain teams have largely emerged as dominant threats. Old, forgotten threats such as SD Lucario (who was never used because it was so simple to revenge with Excadrill) and Zapdos have been swarming back in. By all means there will be tons of new strategies and teambuilds. Things that worked when Excadrill was around very well might not work now, and vice versa. You'll see a lot of people experimenting with a lot of things now but eventually things will settle down and we'll probably start seeing what's going to be the most dominant in this new metagame.

grodkorv

i like trains..
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2014
Just wondering if there is anyone playing LC?
I want to start, just wanted to know if anyone else plays it (:

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Heavy Offense is actually viable now as Exca and Thundurus cant just revenge kill/slaughter everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back