• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiny Hunting vs RNG

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
The only shinies I get nowadays are random ones that pop up during monotype runs. But since they're monotypes, I usually don't carry around pokeballs so when they pop up, derrrrrrp.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
Coughdodriocough

Well, since I've never encountered a random shiny in my life, I prefer RNG over shiny hunting. I've bred using masuda method, soft reset for shiny legends and entered wild pokemon battles and nothing. :<

So all my shinies are RNGed.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
If I need a shiny quickly for a trade or something else like that, I prefer RNG. However, I spent so much time chaining prior to learning RNG abuse that it became a bit of a hobby for me.
So, if I just want a shiny Pokemon for the sake of catching/hatching it, I do prefer to shiny hunt. It's much more satisfying to finally encounter what you were searching for, after ___ soft resets, rather than knowing that the egg you hatch will be shiny (assuming you made no mistakes). Sure, it probably won't have an ideal nature and might have horrible IVs, but your work finally paid off! And, if you're really lucky, maybe it'll be good enough to use. If not, you still have that trophy 'mon to show off to others. [;
All of that being said, I have good luck with non-RNG'd shinies, so it isn't as tedious for me as it is for some others. I've been playing for less than three years and already have captured around 10 shiny Pokemon (some of which were chained).

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
From what I used to do, 4th Gen RNG was kinda fun.
Of course, I could only RNG for shinyness, nature, and abilities, and I'd just use a good IV ditto for the breeding most of the time

Shiny hunting seems a bit tedious, imo

Years
RNG is a surefire way of getting a shiny and the stats and nature you desire if you do it correctly, as opposed to shiny hunting which could technically take forever. But latter feels more rewarding if it actually comes off.

All in all, I'll pick RNG since the outcome is faster and more desirable.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Shiney hunting of course. I couldn't look at my own face in the mirror if i were ever to use RNG. Im against hacking in general and the fact that some people are risking ruining their game for a pokemon with different colors and better stats actually sickens me. Be moral people.

Years
Shiney hunting of course. I couldn't look at my own face in the mirror if i were ever to use RNG. Im against hacking in general and the fact that some people are risking ruining their game for a pokemon with different colors and better stats actually sickens me. Be moral people.

What are you talking about? RNG is not hacking, there is no risk of ruining the game. We are playing the game just the same. It's not like we're crossing wires to get results, we're leveraging the built in function to act how we want it to. It's non invasive and no cartridges or Pokemon are harmed in the process.

Sotani

Pokemon Breeder Yuki
Years
Honestly, I didn't even know what RNG was until this post and I went to go look it up, I'm not even sure how someone managed to figure that out /and/ make it easy enough for normal people to understand. Personally, I think it's more rewarding to find a random shiny by luck than algorithm but I don't do anything competitively so stats don't matter to me; so I can definatley understand why people would do the RNG method. All of my shinies have been random encounters and I've never had any successful hunts, recently i've started breeding for shinies but no luck there either.

Tunuko

Huntin' Shinies!
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 8, 2014
I prefer getting the shinies the way they're intended to be obtained - by getting lucky through encounters, breeding, or chaining.

In my honest opinion, using RNG to abuse the games' system is akin to using the old action replays/game sharks - I fail to see the point, you may as well just hack or use online GTS created pokés. Especially when finding "flawless" monsters. Getting a program to do the work would take all the fun out of the game for me. There's no fun in being handed top notch team members.

lucariokul

Illusions surround me. Help...
Years
RNG definitely. It's fun, doesn't take as long, and you get the results that you want. Plus I like doing bps/cps for people cause giving someone a desired Pokemon can make their day. You never know! Shiny hunting...takes too long for my taste. I gave up on SRing for a shiny Kyogre in Sapphire lol. And I think it's ridiculous to run around in the grass all day waiting on a shiny. It seems tedious and boring, but that could also be said about RNG by someone that doesn't know how.
You actually had that one? Im no longer alone then. Also, I found a shiny whismur on it by chance and killed it by accident. :(

Back