• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Contest: [HACK-A-LONG] Beginners competion! #HA3 Practise your Scripting!~join now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023

PLEASE NOTE: The sharing of .ROM files is prohibited on PC. If you wish for me/someone to check your ROM please attach a patch to your post.

Hack-a-long
A fortnightly beginners challenge

Hello o/ welcome to ROM Hacking!

#HA2 has just started, it's open to all! Read the tasks below and download the patch. Feel free to ask any questions you have!

Spoiler:

#HA3: Scripting with XSE pt 1
DATE 06/06/15 - DATE 20/06/15 - NEXT TIME: Scripting with XSE pt 2

You will need: Advance Map (1.92 or 1.95), a Fire Red ROM, Hackmew's Xtreme Script Editor (XSE) and a ROM player, such as video boy advance.

Follow the instructions below as accurately as possible. Your evidence in this round should be screenshots in-game and a copy of your written script. Use diegoisawesome's amazing tutorial as a reference to help you out.

TASK 1:
  • Add a new person event to the player's room.
  • Set it's image to the 'Mom' overworld.
  • Write a simple text script to make Mom say: Finally, [PLAYER]! I thought you were going to be late! when spoken to.
TASK 2:
  • Using the downstairs of the player's house.
  • Replace Mom's script (or use a person event).
  • Write a script to give you an item of your choosing, as well as some custom text from the NPC!
  • Use a flag to make sure you can't continuously collect the item when speaking to them.
TASK 3:
  • Using Pallet Town's map (and any old/new person event).
  • Write a script where the player is given a lv 20 Pokemon of your choice the first time they talk to the NPC.
  • If you talk to the NPC a second time, they ask if you'd like to battle.
  • When you win the battle, the NPC gives you a Gym Badge.
Remember you can VM or PM me if you need a few pointers!

Awarded Trophies

Post below to show interest (or evidence!) to get added to the ongoing list~

1. JaDe.X105

Archive

Spoiler: #HA1
WEEK 1: Using Advance Map
DATE 02/05/15 - DATE 16/05/15 - NEXT TIME: Mapping FINISHED

You will need: Advance Map (1.92 or 1.95), a Fire Red ROM and the #HA1 IPS PATCH.
This week, I have prepared three task maps for you to work with. Each one is properly labelled, you can find them overwriting the first few towns, in map bank 3.

TASK 1: Change the houses in Viridian City to those of another town (Map 3.1).
TASK 2: Complete the forest map by assigning the correct movement permissions (Map 3.2).
TASK 3: Block edit some new tiles to fix the five errors (Map 3.3).

Awarded Trophies

1. JaDe.X105
2. DyingWillFlareon
3. Splash
4. Sniper
5. embaurus
6. johnvry
7. hedger
8. redbleuman
9. Pyrozaekus
10. KrookoBlastoise

Spoiler: #HA2
#HA2: Mapping
DATE 17/05/15 - DATE 31/05/15 (ISH) - NEXT TIME: Scripting with XSE

You will need: Advance Map (1.92 or 1.95), a Fire Red ROM and the #HA2 IPS PATCH.
This week, I have prepared three task maps for you to work with. Each one is properly labelled, you can find them overwriting the first few towns, in map bank 3.

TASK 1: Using the map 'base' provided, fill the map with decoration tiles and NPCs (Map 3.1).
TASK 2: Complete the town map, using the starting corner as a base, to fill the blank space. NPCs/Events not needed. (Map 3.2).
TASK 3: Design an ocean map around the existing person events. You may change their appearance and movement type but you may not move or delete them. (Map 3.3).

This week's #HA is a bit more complicated - in order to be awarded a trophy for your efforts you should:
  • Make sure your tiles are used correctly,
  • Avoid tiling errors,
  • Follow the above instructions carefully.
Remember you can VM or PM me if you need a few pointers!

Awarded Trophies

1. JaDe.X105
2. KrookoBlastiose Progress:
3. Brahe Progress:

Prizes

Prizes will be given out when a member fulfils the criteria :) you do not need to participate every week to obtain these goodies! If someone wants to help me make these feel free to PM.

<emblem not made> I like g-o-o-o-old.
Well done for obtaining three gold medals!

4fz4h4.png

Advance Map-er
HA: Week 1 All Tasks Complete!

<emblem not made> Cartographer
HA: Week 2 All Tasks Complete!

<emblem not made> ROM Hacker-sensei
Thank you for sharing some useful knowledge!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 25, 2023
I think this is a great idea! I'm new to hacking and I really appreciate things like this to help others get comfortable with the different concepts of a hack!

I will definitely be participating in as many of these as I can, just have 1 question. My Advance Map is 1.90, is this going to cause any issues?

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
I think this is a great idea! I'm new to hacking and I really appreciate things like this to help others get comfortable with the different concepts of a hack!

I will definitely be participating in as many of these as I can, just have 1 question. My Advance Map is 1.90, is this going to cause any issues?

Yes, you will need to download advanced map 1.92 or 1.95.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Hello! :) It won't make too much difference - but 1.92/1.95 are the most used versions. If you grab one of those from the links from TheRealOCD then at least it'll be easier for people to help you out, if needed.

Look forward to seeing what you can do! :D

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 25, 2023
Update from my earlier post, task 3 completed.

This was the first time I've ever messed around with the block editor, which is why I'm submitting 2 separate times. Very beneficial, thank you for doing this, you filled my Saturday with an enjoyable activity/exercise/fun project :)

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I'd like to join in this, but I have some questions....
For #1 I assumed you meant only the houses, so I changed the two actual houses on it into the Pewter City PC and Mart. If I need to rewarp the others too, just tell me. ^.^U

The second task is confusing me though. The map 3.2 is Pewter and I can't see anything wrong with the movement permissions, so I assumed you meant Viridian Forest, but couldn't find anything wrong there. I don't know if I'm reading any of this wrong though. Can you please explain for a simple thinker like me? @.@U

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Update from my earlier post, task 3 completed.

This was the first time I've ever messed around with the block editor, which is why I'm submitting 2 separate times. Very beneficial, thank you for doing this, you filled my Saturday with an enjoyable activity/exercise/fun project :)

I've had a chance to look! :D

Spoiler:

I'd like to join in this, but I have some questions....
For #1 I assumed you meant only the houses, so I changed the two actual houses on it into the Pewter City PC and Mart. If I need to rewarp the others too, just tell me. ^.^U

The second task is confusing me though. The map 3.2 is Pewter and I can't see anything wrong with the movement permissions, so I assumed you meant Viridian Forest, but couldn't find anything wrong there. I don't know if I'm reading any of this wrong though. Can you please explain for a simple thinker like me? @.@U

Hm, if you have the patch added on to a ROM you should be seeing:

2912cd5.png

Where 'T2' has replaced Pewter. It's definitely a forest in the HA Patch.

Last edited:

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
I'm joining as I take all the trophies! O: just kidding, I think this is fun and helpful to improve everyone's basic hacking skills. Good luck to me and to all! c:

Years
I'm gonna join in as well. Just joking. Good luck to the beginners who's participating, I hope you excel! And, Magic, good luck with this, too!

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Looks like you've managed all three tasks! There is a small error on the T1 map, due to you changing tilesets, so watch out for that in the future!

Progress: [COMPLETE]

Emblem will be on your doorstep shortly :3.

I thought I fixed that? well maybe I didn't lol Well anyways I can't wait for le emblem! c:

Looking forward more task cause this is really improves everything.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 25, 2023
have a flick back to the Task 1 map and look at Viridian City's mart...

Ahh good catch! I would not have noticed that, but makes total sense why that happened.
Went back and fixed the mart roofs, as well as my house with the bike shop roof (I was just mixing and matching for that part, but for consistency I corrected it, had to block edit boulders out of the background)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back