• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wi-Fi and router-related help v2.0

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Welcome to version 2 of the Wi-Fi help thread (old thread here)! While it's a bit outdated by now, please note that Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Connector help should still be acquired via Nintendo's technical support.

Regarding WEP. I'd like to point out that WEP USED TO BE enabled by default on over 90% of routers and wireless modems. The WEP key (what you need to start a connection) is usually printed somewhere on the router. These days, most routers use some form of WPA, which isn't supported by most Nintendo gaming devices, so you'll need to enable WEP.

If your router isn't using WEP already, you'll need to enable it through the router settings page if you want to use Nintendo WiFi (unless you want to just have a completely open router, which is a bad idea and you should not even consider doing). You have to be connected to your router to do this. You can access this by entering the default gateway address for that connection into your browser while connected. To find the default gateway address, open up a command prompt and enter the following command letter for letter:
Code:
ipconfig | find "Default Gateway"
Note that the "|" is not an uppercase "I" or a lowercase "l", but the shift + \ character. If you get multiple results (meaning you have other network interfaces running), try each of the addresses until you get to your router's settings page.

Once you reach your router settings page, check all the settings and such until you find one where you can change between options such as WEP, WPA, and no encryption. I can't give specifics on this because every router's settings page is different. It may help to use Google to find specifics for your particular model. If there is no WEP key set, you'll need to enter one yourself; I believe it needs to be either 13 or 26 hexadecimal characters or digits (I could be wrong). Other than these two things, do not change any settings. Once you have set up WEP, look for a button near the bottom to save your settings. Your router may have to reset, and you'll probably need to set up a new connection on your computer with the new settings.

Finally, please read this FAQ for Nintendo WiFi-related questions before posting them.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
I'm not sure if this is my connections problem or something with torrents, but whenever I start a torrent, it'll be up around 1.5 Mb/s then sometimes it will drop down to 0 kb/s and then the internet will slow and eventually stop. Then a few seconds or so later it will start again. I'm using WiFi so could it be a problem with that? It's really getting annoying to deal with, especially when downloading a large file, going from 1.5 then slowly down to 0 and so on.

Years
I can't connect with other people in pokemon

I was able to only connect to one person.. but with others I can't.. It keeps saying error code : 86420... I think that's the number... anyway, i read in nintendo support to turn off firewall.. .I did that but it still didn't work. And I tried using a static Ip but from there it gets to complicated with the single port forwarding and etc lol XD ahah I am not an expert... Anyway, am i doing something wrong or is it because of my internet or router? Or is it because of the server that I can't connect with others?

Years
I'm not sure if this is my connections problem or something with torrents, but whenever I start a torrent, it'll be up around 1.5 Mb/s then sometimes it will drop down to 0 kb/s and then the internet will slow and eventually stop. Then a few seconds or so later it will start again. I'm using WiFi so could it be a problem with that? It's really getting annoying to deal with, especially when downloading a large file, going from 1.5 then slowly down to 0 and so on.

Is it just the torrents that stop working or is it just your whole internet connection? because that could be that the torrent no longer has any seeds to download from.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Is it just the torrents that stop working or is it just your whole internet connection? because that could be that the torrent no longer has any seeds to download from.
It's the internet, but now, it seems pretty stable for the moment. It's just really slow now, and it's not because of the seeders or peers probably because it's pretty high.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Uhm, I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know how to give your router a password?

Mine's currently public and I want to secure it, but I have no clue what I'm doing :s

Years
Uhm, I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know how to give your router a password?

Mine's currently public and I want to secure it, but I have no clue what I'm doing :s

You need to go into your routers control panel. You can do this by typing 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 into your web browser. If these don't work googe search for your routers ip address.
After that you'll be met by a box asking for your username and password, usually its "admin" and "passwod" by default. If its not it'll either be on the bottom of your router or someone else has changed it.
From here yull have to look through settings for some sort of WAP key option. Every routers control panel is different so I can't help there.

Igneel510

Just Getting Started!
Years
  • Seen May 23, 2012
Right i need some help. Ive been using the WI-FI USB connector for about a week with people. ive made trades and everything.
But today everytime i try to connect its a no go.
It finds the USB but then when it tries to do a connection test it fails the Signal bar goes from full to nought and it gives me the error code 52103
And im the only one using a computer in my house.

Its doing my tree right in.
i havent changed anything or done anything.
just tried to trade as usual and i cant connect.
This is a problem because i have an open trade thread and people to trade while this problem persists i cant help people on their games.

Ive tried uninstalling and re-installing the WIFI Registration tool and its made no difference.

Years
Is the error on your consoles screen? Because after a quick google it says that the error is happening because of a temporary server error. You should probably leave it for a bit and try again later.
But if it's persistent then this page here should help you out a bit.

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2017
Nintendo WiFi

Hi
Not sure if this goes here, but ive recently started back into Pokemon gaming and found out there is a darkrai on offer through the mystery gift. Ive looked on the net for nintendo wifi hotspots but cannot find a website that will tell me that.
I live in cambridge, england and wanted to know if there are any round here or if anyone can tell me a website that will show me.
Thanks

droomph

weeb
Years
From what I remember, Nintendo Wi-Fi connects through your own personal wi-fi and then connects to the global network from there.

Of course I could be wrong, but that's how I got my Victini, so I suppose that that's how the Mystery Gift should work.

Years
The wireless connection from my new laptop keeps disconnecting by itself. All other PCs do not have this problem, just mine. I tried searching for possible solutions, from trying to update my drivers -- yet they are the latest versions -- to troubleshooting the problem -- which always says that the problems was fixed but isn't really. What could be the problem?

Years
The wireless connection from my new laptop keeps disconnecting by itself. All other PCs do not have this problem, just mine. I tried searching for possible solutions, from trying to update my drivers -- yet they are the latest versions -- to troubleshooting the problem -- which always says that the problems was fixed but isn't really. What could be the problem?

There are a bunch of possibilities. First of all, move closer to the router and see if it still happens. If so, do you have poor reception before the dropout?

It might be a power-saving feature going wrong. In Task manager, choose properties and open the Power Management tab. Untick the turn of to save power box. Try that.

Years
I'm actually three-feet away from my router. And no, the reception does not deteriorate before the dropout; it just disconnects, but it says there is a wireless connection available. Sometimes it automatically reconnects, other times I have to either troubleshoot the problem or reconnect manually.

I did that, and I thought it worked for a moment until I restarted my PC for update reasons but the problem perpetuated. I'm using an Ethernet cable for now, at least till I find a solution.

I saw somewhere that there might be another connection interfering, but there doesn't seem to be any other SSID within range. Also, the TV, local phone, and other devices, might they be a reason?

Years
I saw somewhere that there might be another connection interfering, but there doesn't seem to be any other SSID within range. Also, the TV, local phone, and other devices, might they be a reason?

Generally the only things that interfere are cordless phones and microwaves. Then again, if the microwave is interfering, I'd be getting out of the room quickly, lol.

It could even be a faulty wifi card. Can you test it on another network? Public Wifi or a tethered phone, for instance?

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
HELP!!!! No Nintendo Wi-Fi, need suggestions or answers

With the Keldeo event nearing for Wi-Fi, I still couldn't connect for 4 months. I think my Dream World berries have already converted to dream points, and I already have more than enough Dream Points than what I need.

The Problem can be seen like this:

I try to connect through wifi. A signal is received and will disappear shortly after the signal is received. The error message displays the following message:

"Unable to connect to Nintendo
Wi-Fi Connection. Check
your connection settings and
try again.

For help, visit
support.nintendo.com
Error code: 52200"

I have no Idea what is causing it. I tried some of the solutions given and the problem still persists. Can some one give me answers?

Years
With the Keldeo event nearing for Wi-Fi, I still couldn't connect for 4 months. I think my Dream World berries have already converted to dream points, and I already have more than enough Dream Points than what I need.

The Problem can be seen like this:

I try to connect through wifi. A signal is received and will disappear shortly after the signal is received. The error message displays the following message:

"Unable to connect to Nintendo
Wi-Fi Connection. Check
your connection settings and
try again.

For help, visit
support.nintendo.com
Error code: 52200"

I have no Idea what is causing it. I tried some of the solutions given and the problem still persists. Can some one give me answers?
You might have to manually assign an IP address to your DS alonside manually change the DNS servers.

Years
Change DNS, as in, in my computer.? i have to change my computer's DNS?
No, I meant on your DS. In order to assign an IP manually to your DS, you also have to assign DNS servers to it manually.What I did was I entered my gateway IP (the one used to log into my router) for both DNS servers and it worked for me.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
No, I meant on your DS. In order to assign an IP manually to your DS, you also have to assign DNS servers to it manually.What I did was I entered my gateway IP (the one used to log into my router) for both DNS servers and it worked for me.

I already tried that before. it only speed up the time in receiving the signal. The problem is that after i receive a signal, a second or two later, the signal will be lost

Back