Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 1 Week Ago (05:20 PM).
Tsutarja
Snivy used Attract~ ♥

Nature: Jolly
Bah, it's stated in GoDaddy's policy that .us domains cannot get WHOIS protection. Ugh.
Old 1 Week Ago (06:21 PM).
Senusret
LIKE A BOSS
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Senusret
Quote originally posted by Tsutarja:
I actually already did that and saw nothing extra, I'm afraid. :/
Well, I think they have a hotline. Just call 1-800 DOT ORG for a free demonstration, and a free consulation, of how much cold hard cash it's gonna cost you to download the website with free privacy.

That made no sense.

#TeamWither
Senusret

"There's a reason why we're the boss..."

apocalypseArisen
Arc
arachnidsGrip
Old 1 Week Ago (06:42 PM).
Petie
Community Supporter

When I click from the My Account window at the top, this is all that I see right here:

Spoiler:

Do you happen to know how I could go about accessing the new CP layout by any chance?
So, it turns out this is policy based but, for the sake of answering this question anyway, on the top right of the screen in your screenshot, there should be two buttons - one with four squares and the other with lines. You're in list view and the shortcut for domain privacy, when available, is only visible in tile view. Click that button and you'll see the layout I was referring to, albeit useless to you now.

For the record, as much as I'd love to blame GoDaddy here, that restriction is actually on the US registry as a whole, not specific to any single company.
Old 1 Week Ago (06:56 PM).
Tsutarja
Snivy used Attract~ ♥

Quote originally posted by Petie:
For the record, as much as I'd love to blame GoDaddy here, that restriction is actually on the US registry as a whole, not specific to any single company.
Yeah, I saw that unfortunately. I called GoDaddy and surprisingly they had a customer service rep that happily processed my refund. I got rid of snivy.us and went with snivy.info, which did come with the whois protection
Old 1 Week Ago (07:05 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Yeah, I saw that unfortunately. I called GoDaddy and surprisingly they had a customer service rep that happily processed my refund. I got rid of snivy.us and went with snivy.info, which did come with the whois protection
snivy.info. What a nice domain name. How did you manage to notice that domain name is up for grabs?

*hugs his twigzone.net domain*
Old 1 Week Ago (08:58 AM).
Senusret
LIKE A BOSS
Community Supporter

Bah, it's stated in GoDaddy's policy that .us domains cannot get WHOIS protection. Ugh.
This one is paid for taxpayers like you.
Thank you America.™

Quote originally posted by Twiggy:
snivy.info. What a nice domain name. How did you manage to notice that domain name is up for grabs?

*hugs his twigzone.net domain*
Web development is nice... it really is. I've been doing a lot of code cleanup lately, and Geany's awful theme support has made that less than nice... not to mention my screen is so small. I can't "fix" this laptop forever!

I've been using live sessions a lot now, lately. I should get onto imaging this PC with 7 so I can use the drive as a mobile Arch install. :3

#TeamWither
Senusret

apocalypseArisen
Arc
arachnidsGrip
Old 6 Days Ago (08:40 PM).
Tsutarja
Snivy used Attract~ ♥

Yay, my Venue 8 Pro tablet decided to finally charge properly!

Last time I had it turned on was a few weeks ago, and it was stuck at 10% battery all night long while plugged in.
Old 6 Days Ago (07:06 AM).
R.F.
Badass Overlord

Nature: Lonely
I don't know why, but whenever people talk about tablets or use one of them in front of my face, I suddenly get that urge of wanting one myself, just to see, what I can do with those. I'm probably one of those five people, who never had one (not counting those drawing tablets, obviously).

On another note: I have that hugh urge to program something in Python, but I really don't know what. So annoying...
Old 6 Days Ago (05:56 PM).
Buoysel
Will work for Bandwidth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
So... Lenovo... yeah, glad I don't have one right now.

Twitter

My Website

Pear

Blog

Megan

Inspired by Windows
Old 6 Days Ago (07:44 PM).
Senusret
LIKE A BOSS
Community Supporter

I've been playing SimCity 4 on a flash drive the past two days. You talk about hard-to-do, here it is! And it works great when you're not saving the game. Absolutely lovely.

The hard drive is bad with this PC, too. I'm going to list an SSHD for $100 along with a $50 surcharge for its repair. If they don't want it then I'll take it for scrapping (not really) for $50 out of my pocket.

#TeamWither
Senusret

apocalypseArisen
Arc
arachnidsGrip
Old 5 Days Ago (11:40 PM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Buoysel:
Makes you wonder if this is the beginning of the end of bloatware. (At least the kind that borders on malware.)

On the other hand, nobody likes expensive PCs...

Quote originally posted by Senusret:
I've been playing SimCity 4 on a flash drive the past two days. You talk about hard-to-do, here it is! And it works great when you're not saving the game. Absolutely lovely.
SimCity 4 was designed and released at a time where the average 2.5" hard disk drive is likely to be slower than the USB 2.0 bus itself on average. Just sayin'.

The hard drive is bad with this PC, too. I'm going to list an SSHD for $100 along with a $50 surcharge for its repair. If they don't want it then I'll take it for scrapping (not really) for $50 out of my pocket.
How bad?
Old 5 Days Ago (01:11 AM).
Senusret
LIKE A BOSS
Community Supporter

SimCity 4 was designed and released at a time where the average 2.5" hard disk drive is likely to be slower than the USB 2.0 bus itself on average. Just sayin'.
I still think the Core i3 I picked out will perform better than this i5, from my build sheet. Clock rate and single threaded execution, tbh

How bad?
The hard drive is bad, s'all. It's got a 2nd gen Core i5 and 6GIB of RAM, and a nice 16:9 768p display and a white shell. It also has a Blu-Ray drive which is pretty sweet. It is a Sony Vaio after all.

#TeamWither
Senusret

apocalypseArisen
Arc
arachnidsGrip
Old 5 Days Ago (03:53 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I still think the Core i3 I picked out will perform better than this i5, from my build sheet. Clock rate and single threaded execution, tbh
Build sheet?

Also, dual-core Intel processors are good enough. However, nothing really beats having two extra physical cores, no? Even if your single-threaded application won't be using all the cores, it still helps a lot to have a lot of spare CPU power lying around.

The hard drive is bad, s'all. It's got a 2nd gen Core i5 and 6GIB of RAM, and a nice 16:9 768p display and a white shell. It also has a Blu-Ray drive which is pretty sweet. It is a Sony Vaio after all.
A lot of things that are wrong with hard disk drives can be boiled down to one thing: poor random I/O performance. Usually, an SSD is the quick way out of getting out of that rut, but in a pinch, getting the amount of start-up programs down and enabling fast start-up helps.
Old 5 Days Ago (03:57 AM).
Tsutarja
Snivy used Attract~ ♥

Quote originally posted by Buoysel:
At least a newer one that is.

I'm not so sure how far back the Superfish software even goes for Lenovo installs, but from what this article on CNET suggests, it's only models from the past year or so.
Old 5 Days Ago (04:39 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

At least a newer one that is.

I'm not so sure how far back the Superfish software even goes for Lenovo installs, but from what this article on CNET suggests, it's only models from the past year or so.
Things like this would probably have never happened if the OEM PC space was a more profitable land than what it is right now.
Old 5 Days Ago (11:33 AM).
obZen
Kill Your Heroes
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to obZen
I'm going through a fun semester of intermediate C++, Assembly, and Calc 2.
So far, so good, but C++ is really killing me. I've been trying to practice by playing around with code from my old textbook

obZen on Pokemon Showdown
Old 5 Days Ago (07:32 PM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by obZen:
I'm going through a fun semester of intermediate C++, Assembly, and Calc 2.
So far, so good, but C++ is really killing me. I've been trying to practice by playing around with code from my old textbook
Are you new to OOP? Normally a basic crash course on C++ that does not touch on OOP principles should work OK on easing you into the adventure.
Old 5 Days Ago (07:38 PM).
obZen
Kill Your Heroes
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to obZen
Are you new to OOP? Normally a basic crash course on C++ that does not touch on OOP principles should work OK on easing you into the adventure.
I took intro to computer science, which was C++.
Unfortunately, that was 2.5+ years ago, and we had a hurricane mid-semester.
Now I'm in the advanced C++ class, so I'm playing catch-up and close the gaps.

obZen on Pokemon Showdown
Old 4 Days Ago (09:24 AM).
Tsutarja
Snivy used Attract~ ♥

C++ was a language I wanted to learn back then. Now I'm not so sure.

Also, why do my professors use textbooks that don't include Windows 8, or even Office 2013, in 2015? For one of my assignments in one of my classes, I have to use Windows XP.
Old 4 Days Ago (11:09 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

C++ was a language I wanted to learn back then. Now I'm not so sure.

Also, why do my professors use textbooks that don't include Windows 8, or even Office 2013, in 2015? For one of my assignments in one of my classes, I have to use Windows XP.
I think it's probably a good thing that we have things like this...

"OK, we do know that our subject nominally requires Ubuntu and some form of gcc, but...nobody really uses Ubuntu, so Windows and Visual Studio is also OK...and in fact, it's preferred in this particular campus."
Old 3 Days Ago (04:21 AM).
Tsutarja
Snivy used Attract~ ♥

Part of the class involves usage of Fedora, but I installed that into a virtual machine as well.
Old 2 Days Ago (07:26 AM).
Buoysel
Will work for Bandwidth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I learned this weekend if you want your YouTube video to get a decent amount of views you should post it to Reddit. I got 1600 views in 24 hours.

Twitter

My Website

Pear

Blog

Megan

Inspired by Windows
Old 2 Days Ago (08:12 AM).
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Also, why do my professors use textbooks that don't include Windows 8, or even Office 2013, in 2015? For one of my assignments in one of my classes, I have to use Windows XP. :|
Department budgets, really. I was working out of a textbook made in 2005 in 2010 for a Linux class, and they had just phased Windows 2000 out of the curriculum at my school before I enrolled.

Also, dual-core Intel processors are good enough. However, nothing really beats having two extra physical cores, no? Even if your single-threaded application won't be using all the cores, it still helps a lot to have a lot of spare CPU power lying around.
Sim City 4 works best being limited to a single core that has a lot of excess clock speed available. Without mods, its recommended minimum clock speed is just 1GHz (a lot in 2003, mind). With mods, I've personally experienced slowness even with 2.xGHz (don't remember what my clock speed is on my home PC). Really, you'd probably want something close to or above 3GHz if you're going to mod the hell out of the game like a lot of players do. It's a very processor intensive game.
Old 2 Days Ago (10:21 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by donavannj:
Sim City 4 works best being limited to a single core that has a lot of excess clock speed available. Without mods, its recommended minimum clock speed is just 1GHz (a lot in 2003, mind). With mods, I've personally experienced slowness even with 2.xGHz (don't remember what my clock speed is on my home PC). Really, you'd probably want something close to or above 3GHz if you're going to mod the hell out of the game like a lot of players do. It's a very processor intensive game.
Mmm hmm.

And, if running on Windows 8 or later, stick to windowed mode or accept that the frame rate might end up effectively capped at 30 no matter how fast it can actually draw, even with the software renderer. (For some reason, pre-DirectX 8.x (or was it 9.0?) apps that are running full screen seem unusually handicapped in terms of frame rate no matter what I do on my system. (SimCity 4 was DX7.))
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links