• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2013
I have two questions:

1. Is there a hack of fire red that pretty much just leaves the game itself alone, but makes it so all pokemon can be caught/evolved in game (as opposed to trading)?

2. Is any team working on a hack that combines all the "real" regions into one complete game?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Okay, i'll look back through/search the thread. Do you know how to change both options to "Boy"? Both methods are acceptable, so if you could give me some pointers on doing the double-Boy option, that'd be great!

Well, you would have to change Oak's inrtro text to say who are you instead of what. You can do this in A-text, a hex editor, or even a script editor, though A-text would be the easiest. Then, you would have to create two different character sprites, both boys, and insert one over the girls sprite using NSE or un-Lz. So, basically replace everything girl with guy. The toughest part might be changing the multi-choice box which asks if you are a girl or a guy to say something based on the qualities of your two choice for boys, like tough kid and smart kid. I am not quite sure how to chance the multi choice box, but you may be able to find it in A-text.

in fire red what is it that keeps your pokes from evolving into gen 2 pokemon? I would like to allow users to catch and raise gen 2 pokemon as starters (a catch your own starter instead of taking the 3 choices)

The answer has come up before in this thread. I can't remember right now, but you are still supposed to search before asking.

Edit: I think you need to give the player the national Pokedex.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a hack of fire red that pretty much just leaves the game itself alone, but makes it so all pokemon can be caught/evolved in game (as opposed to trading)?

2. Is any team working on a hack that combines all the "real" regions into one complete game?

1) Probobly, I know that there is one for Emerald. Try looking for a FireRed Complete or FireRed 386 in the showcase.

2) This is really tough due to space requirements. The closest I think would be the 649 patches by Jambo51 and Chaos Rush.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
thanks... I found the "search this thread" function

but im fairly certain this one is NOT in this thread:

I need a way to make the safari game NOT end... then a way to make it end again...

for example...
I am making a "catch your starting pokemon" event... where you go into a safari zone game... and catch a pokemon... then immediately after you catch that poke the game ends... yay

but by going into the Safari Zone game.. you get that step counter... so if someone were to hang around and NOT catch something till that timer ran out... they would be teleported to the REAL safari zone and end up in fuscha city with no pokemon...

so I need to turn the step counter off for just that game... then for all other safari games (you can only get into this area one time) the step counter should be on...

karatekid552

Years
thanks... I found the "search this thread" function

but im fairly certain this one is NOT in this thread:

I need a way to make the safari game NOT end... then a way to make it end again...

for example...
I am making a "catch your starting pokemon" event... where you go into a safari zone game... and catch a pokemon... then immediately after you catch that poke the game ends... yay

but by going into the Safari Zone game.. you get that step counter... so if someone were to hang around and NOT catch something till that timer ran out... they would be teleported to the REAL safari zone and end up in fuscha city with no pokemon...

so I need to turn the step counter off for just that game... then for all other safari games (you can only get into this area one time) the step counter should be on...

Better idea, run a check to make sure the player has a Pokemon after the safari game. If not, send him back in!

Also, the above question I believe you need to give the player the national pokedex.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
Better idea, run a check to make sure the player has a Pokemon after the safari game. If not, send him back in!

Also, the above question I believe you need to give the player the national pokedex.

I would run a check but I cant edit the way the safari zone ends...

I may be able to edit the real exit mapscript... that may do it...

I dont know how to check for pokemon...
I tried countpokemon... but it turns the map black

I was using the countpokemon check to end my mini game (after each battle) but that is wrong... what command checks how many pokes you have in your belt?

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I would run a check but I cant edit the way the safari zone ends...

I may be able to edit the real exit mapscript... that may do it...

I dont know how to check for pokemon...
I tried countpokemon... but it turns the map black

I was using the countpokemon check to end my mini game (after each battle) but that is wrong... what command checks how many pokes you have in your belt?

It is countpokemon, if you're using PKSV. Also, you're going about it the wrong way. If you want a custom safari zone without a counter make a new map, don't bother trying to edit the existing routine.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
It is countpokemon, if you're using PKSV. Also, you're going about it the wrong way. If you want a custom safari zone without a counter make a new map, don't bother trying to edit the existing routine.

I did make a new map...

on my new maps mapscript
under "On entering map/on menu close [05]"
ive got:
Spoiler:

its supposed to end the game after any battle where you caught a pokemon... because you would have 0 pokemon going in... then you should have 1 pokemon after the battle, so when it checks... it should play that event and give end the game... but instead... after any battle... it goes black ;(

UPDATE:
I used the "countpokemon" code in the exact same fashion while making the person stay in the event (if they get kicked out by the step counter)

Spoiler:

and it worked perfectly... (even tested by actually playing the safari game and that way ends correctly too)

so y am I getting a black screen when I count in my lil safarigame...

counting to 0 works I guess cause it lets you keep playing if you run or chase off a poke... but if you count to 1 it glitches up...

UPDATE2:

it works without the message box script... so if oak doesnt call me to tell me to come back I randomely warp back with my poke...

that sux

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2021
Hello, I came here from the GBC hacking, because I had the idea of patching Pokemon Crystal to have up to 512 pokemon. I'm pretty fluent in using a GB debugger, and know GB ASM well, as i've done quite a few things with it. I figured that It'd be more beneficial to come here, and work off of FireRed. It sounds like this 649 patch is kind of what I wanted to do, so that's great. Other than that, Where's the best place to start, and is there an IRC?

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I did make a new map...

on my new maps mapscript
under "On entering map/on menu close [05]"
ive got:
Spoiler:

its supposed to end the game after any battle where you caught a pokemon... because you would have 0 pokemon going in... then you should have 1 pokemon after the battle, so when it checks... it should play that event and give end the game... but instead... after any battle... it goes black ;(

UPDATE:
I used the "countpokemon" code in the exact same fashion while making the person stay in the event (if they get kicked out by the step counter)

Spoiler:

and it worked perfectly... (even tested by actually playing the safari game and that way ends correctly too)

so y am I getting a black screen when I count in my lil safarigame...

counting to 0 works I guess cause it lets you keep playing if you run or chase off a poke... but if you count to 1 it glitches up...

UPDATE2:

it works without the message box script... so if oak doesnt call me to tell me to come back I randomely warp back with my poke...

that sux

Try using a different type of level script? Use 02 or 04, I think the message will work then. Don't forget to set a flag to disable to script in the end (if you want to reuse that map).

Hello, I came here from the GBC hacking, because I had the idea of patching Pokemon Crystal to have up to 512 pokemon. I'm pretty fluent in using a GB debugger, and know GB ASM well, as i've done quite a few things with it. I figured that It'd be more beneficial to come here, and work off of FireRed. It sounds like this 649 patch is kind of what I wanted to do, so that's great. Other than that, Where's the best place to start, and is there an IRC?

The best place to start is by identifying what it is you'd like to do. There's a lot of aspects for hacking and some of them are vastly different than others. If you enjoyed analyzing data and making routines, then you can start with scripting and later move on to ASM. If you're switching over to Fire Red for a graphic update, mapping/tile inserting to graphic editing might be where you want to start.

The tutorial section is a good place to being for any of these, make sure to use the search function to easily find what you're looking for. As for an IRC, I think PC has one, but I've never gotten it to work (not sure if ****** code or some sorta failure on my part). Maybe you'll have more luck :P

95gemello7

MrGarroz
Years
I mean the exact same animation. Wait, it wasn't sky uppercut, for that one, but I know they exist:p

Pointers are a fun little things. In a hex editor they look like CZ BY AX 08, but regularly they are AX BY CZ. It should be working, as you do have pointers, so I don't quite understand why it wouldn't. Try opening up a hex editor and doing it manually.

Yes, I knew how pointers work... And how can I change animations using an Hex Editor? I'm still wondering why changing the pointer in Attack Editor doesn't work...

karatekid552

Years
Yes, I knew how pointers work... And how can I change animations using an Hex Editor? I'm still wondering why changing the pointer in Attack Editor doesn't work...

Go to the pointer table and change the pointer manually. So, follow Chaos Rush's tutorial where he second post on it was Gamer2020 saying that it could be done in PGE but he hadn't released it yet.

95gemello7

MrGarroz
Years
Go to the pointer table and change the pointer manually. So, follow Chaos Rush's tutorial where he second post on it was Gamer2020 saying that it could be done in PGE but he hadn't released it yet.
I'm confused... I just tried to do this thing...
First: I tried another time to change the pointer in PGE...
I went to Pound's table.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/01_zps6c3489de.png
Then I went to Mega Punch's table.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/02_zpsc035aa34.png
I changed Pound's pointer with Mega Punch's, repointed and saved.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/03_zps3115b3d6.png
When I tried it on my rom, it didn't work.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/05_zpsce67b360.png

After this fail, I did this: I went to Pound's animation pointer in my hex editor.
I found it and Mega Punch's animation.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/06_zps82e45420.png
Then I swapped these two pointers.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/07_zps5f9d65fc.png
And... It worked!
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/08_zpsdc48812b.png

BUT MY REAL QUESTION IS: why? Wasn't the first way correct and easier?

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
I'm confused... I just tried to do this thing...
First: I tried another time to change the pointer in PGE...
I went to Pound's table.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/01_zps6c3489de.png
Then I went to Mega Punch's table.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/02_zpsc035aa34.png
I changed Pound's pointer with Mega Punch's, repointed and saved.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/03_zps3115b3d6.png
When I tried it on my rom, it didn't work.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/05_zpsce67b360.png

After this fail, I did this: I went to Pound's animation pointer in my hex editor.
I found it and Mega Punch's animation.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/06_zps82e45420.png
Then I swapped these two pointers.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/07_zps5f9d65fc.png
And... It worked!
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/95gemello7/08_zpsdc48812b.png

BUT MY REAL QUESTION IS: why? Wasn't the first way correct and easier?

I have no clue. The second way, you were guaranteed results as you did it manually. I want you to try something. Make an edit in PGE and close it. Then open up the hex editor and see if the change was made to the rom. No matter the result, go back into to PGE and verify that the change was made.

My feeling is that PGE isn't editing the rom...

Edit: Next time you use pictures, use

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
just wanted to thank everyone for the help... I altered a bit from my original plan... but now in my hack you can pick from the 3 starters OR talk to oak without choosing one and get an option to catch your own starter pokemon... its awesome

karatekid552

Years
just wanted to thank everyone for the help... I altered a bit from my original plan... but now in my hack you can pick from the 3 starters OR talk to oak without choosing one and get an option to catch your own starter pokemon... its awesome

That is great, you're welcome!!! Did you ever solve the disappearing legendary dogs problem?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
I believe I did... but then again... ive said that before... so... only a ton of testers playing through it will tell ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back