• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hardest Kanto Gym Leader ?

Hardest Kanto Gym Leader

• Total voters

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
For me the most difficult gym leader was Lt. Surge because I had a water type starter on my team (I think it was a Blastoise by the time I got to him) and because I had a Pidgeotto and both of their weaknesses are Electricity. I wanted to get access to a ground type Pokemon from Digletts cave, but I don't think I was able to go in their because Snorlax was blocking the way and if Snorlax wasn't blocking the cave, then I am stupid.

:t354:TG

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Lt. Surge when I didn't have Diglett, which was pretty much all the time. I can't even remember if he had more than one Pokemon but I do remember paralysis being an issue.

Ponester

Gen3/4 FAN!
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2013
Erika for me, Because I chose Squirtle and didn't have a fire or flying type, SHE DRAINED THE ENERGY OUT OF HIM! D:

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
Sabrina, I never had any Dark or Ghost type Pokemon or attacks in general.

Years
Misty, I levelled my charmeleon to lvl 20 and my pikachu to lvl 16. That starmie killed my pikachu and I had to finish it with charmeleon, I failed like 3 times and at the fourth one I finally killed the thing using metal claw because pikachu kept dying.

Years
Koga was always the hardest for me to beat, mostly because his Pokemon would always poison me as early as possible in the battle. I rarely carry Full Heals or any of the other status healing items (I rely on Full Restore later on), so my only option was to beat him with my under-leveled Kadabra. Second place would have to go to Misty, though, even though I chose Bulbasaur as my starter.

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2013
I gotta say Misty, since Charmander was my starter. It was a bit hard took about 3-5 tries to beat her.. I think my team had to be 22-25 to beat her, so sad :(.

Madic0

Years
I'd have to agree with Ozzy; none of them seemed to pose a noteworthy problem, as far as I can remember. And I don't even use starters. =L

Years
None of the were a problem my Bulbasaur soloed pretty much till 3rd gym were it evolved in the ship were you Venusaur and became even more beast I caught a Growlithe and evolved it into Arcanine for the 4th gym, My Alakazam took the 5th gym, Arcanine bited that gym to death together with Gyarados, Gyarados overpowered Blaine and Giovanni was taken out by Venusaur and Gyarados.

Gamefreak knew everyone would have a Charfetish thats why misty was the hardest but not from me, I completed the game weeks before my classmates (rivals) because of the fact that they were stuck at Misty while I was kicking Koga's ass

Years
Koga + Muk + Minimize = Not a happy Consumer!

I think Koga was hard because of his really high levelled Pokemon too. Such a giant gap between Erika's and his.

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2021
Misty. You have to grind a while if you don't have the type adventage

KitsuneLugia96

Trainer Silver
Years
Well all the Kanto gym leaders in the game were easy to beat, but I guess that was because I would not challenge them until all of my party Pokemon were at a certain level. In FireRed I didn't battle Misty until all my Pokemon were level 30. It took forever, but the gym battles were easy. :D

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Koga by a long shot if we look at the difference in levels from the previous here they are in order (Brock is exlcuded because there is nothing prior to him)

#1 - Koga - 13
#2 - Misty - 7
#3 - Erika - 6
#4 - Blaine - 4
#5/6 - Gioavanni - 3
#5/6 - Lt. Surge - 3
#7 - Sabrina - 0

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
For me: Fire Red Misty was hard, because I chosed charmander which already evolved into charmeleon lv.26, so I had to train my Pikachu lv. 16 I put in the pc to win Misty, but Misty in Yellow...it was so freakin easy. So the hardest gym leader in Kanto is a tie between Misty and Koga (I had trouble to get past that Muk)

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2013
I concur with the majority of the thread. Misty was the most difficult for when I played FireRed, especially because I chose Charmander. 115 BS Speed Starmie + STAB Water Pulse was a nightmare to beat.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
For me, Koga was the hardest to beat. His Minimize/Toxic combination was a blast! I didn't have Psychic pokemon and my Graveler couldn't hit him.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Even though Lt.Surge is my favorite gym leader of this series, he was a pain to beat. I lacked a Pokemon that would beat him easily. I'd have to go find myself at least a ground-type in order to beat him and his super powered Raichu.

DelightedTurk

Hipsterest Hypno in the land
Years
For me it had to be Koga, even though he wasn't all that difficult, his Minimize+Toxic combo with Muk would frustrate me to no end. I beat him on the second try I believe on my first playthrough, but it was so annoying.

Back