• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Cynthia or Lance?

Sirfetch’d

Obviously there were 2 champions of the Pokemon League in the 4th generation, Cynthia in Diamond, Platinum, and Pearl and Lance in Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Which of these two champions did you prefer and why? Who was tougher?

Spr_BW_Cynthia.png
OR
Spr_HGSS_Lance.png

Years
Cynthia gets my vote and her design, personality, and relatively challenging team are the reasons why.

Though, I do like Lance as well.

Melacine

kik: melacinee
Years
Oh, Cynthia for sure. She had a wider range of Pokemon that were much harder to defeat (Spiritomb, I'm looking at you) than Lance. Plus, her design is wonderful!

Sirfetch’d

I think the better question I could have asked is "is anyone a better champ than Cynthia" I don't think anyone competes with her in all honesty. Like she is the epitome of perfection and there is just nothing to dislike about her. Definitely my favorite champ all time!

Years
Cynthia by miles. She's beautiful and has one of the best battle themes in the history of Pokemon games.. very fitting for a team that's actually quite challenging, more so than any other champion in my opinion. She's an amazing character overall and few others can compare. Opening up with a Spiritomb that had no weakness in this generation was quite a pain in the butt for me when I was younger!

Lance is iconic and awesome too but I'll always prefer Cynthia.

Years
As i've mentioned, Cynthia is my favorite Champion, and that still stands. However, it is a bit disappointing that she does nothing productive against Team Galactic, I mean she comes with you to the Distortion World but doesn't really do anything. And it's not helped by how she leaves a bunch of Psyduck who are suffering chronic headaches. Her team definitely makes up for that, but it's still not something i'm fond of.

As for Lance, he turns out to be quite helpful in the Team Rocket HQ, and it's cool that he fights alongside you. His team is strong, but does have a lot of shared weaknesses.

blue

gucci
Years
Cynthia for me. She was the first female champion of the franchise, she looks powerful, and she uses an interesting variety of Pokémon! She is also the only champion who I actually struggled against, particularly in Platinum.

Lance is pretty cool too, but against them all Cynthia wins hands down for me.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
Cynthia. I found her a lot tougher. Lance was somewhat easier to defeat. Electric type for Aeordactyl, Charizard and Gyarados, Ice type move for the 3 Dragonites. Cynthia had a more widespread range on her team, and yes the Spiritomb was an annoyance.
Her design is much better too. I liked her in the Anime a lot more than Lance as well.

Years
I'm on the Cynthia bandwagon as well, because she's one of the hardest champions in the series and for those who like actual challenge, she pretty much becomes a fave for those types of players.

Lance is iconic but I think he's overrated which most early-generation characters seem to be, so I don't like him as much.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I'll root for Cynthia more than Lance. She's the first female Champion, she also goes into action when the situation goes brink, and well, she has a pretty unique theme of herself, with the signature piano leitmotif there. Not to mention that she is also on Black and White games as well.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Lance, but I just feel that Cynthia is more standing out though.

Huseyin

Not positive, not negative
Years
Lnce was tougher in my opinion because Cynthia's team has common weaknesses if you have a well balanced team and lance has not really weaknesses when i fought him with my well balanced team . In my opinion Cynthia is not so strong . i like Cynthia's design but I just like lance a bit more.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Before i get to tank Cynthia's Garchomp Outrage, Lucario's Bullet Punch, Roserade's Petal Dance, and her Milotic's Hydropump. I will say this. Even though Cynthia would pretty much curbstomp in this poll, I'll do my best to still show some love for Lance.

I remember Lance being so cool when he actually came by and fought alongside the player in both gen 2 and gen 4. Lance as mentioned previously did something productive against the bad guys. He even had his Dragonite use Hyper Beam on a rocket grunt because that's how pissed Lance was during the whole situation. He was willing to go that far, and i love it when they do that.

Of course, Cynthia pretty much wins as an in-game "boss" for her respective game because she pretty much got the proper treatment from gamefreak to have a lineup that wasn't only good on paper, she is the only in-game trainer in any game in the core series to have an entire lineup with Perfect IV pokemon, something that a true Pokemon League champion would actually have to establish being the game's core "final boss" before the credits roll. Of course, most casual players who dont' give shits about IVs or EVs or any "complicated pokemon data related matters" wouldn't know but they would just wonder how come their team of at least lvl 50 to 60+ pokemon got their chests kicked by Cynthia's team.

As far as the in-game teams go, Gen 4 was a missed opportunity for Lance to have an initial lineup that would actually be good. The whole 3 Underleveled Dragonites gig was pretty much getting old, and i guess gamefreak thought that players in HGSS would already go to the Pokemon League with their party on the early to late 40s with 50 being their highest levele'd member, and along with lance, I still question why HGSS was still that underleveled like how the majority of Gen 2 was. It would take going through more of the game to actually see a lineup for Lance that was actually good or at least way better looking on paper than 3 Dragonites and 3 not-Dragons but still cool and fit the whole "Dragon and Flying" theme well. Also, why didn't Lance get the perfect IV pokemon that his contemporary counterpart did. It still bugs me up to this day. If Gamefreak deliberately gave Cynthia a lineup of perfect IV monsters, why didn't Lance get his?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 18, 2016
i have a large preference to Lance generally because Heart Gold was one of my favorite games. I don't dislike Cynthia - in fact I really do like her a lot, just not as much as Lance

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't make it a secret that I'm not a huge DPPt fan, however I have to give credit where credit is due. That being said, my choice for these two definitely goes to Cynthia. I still think she's the most difficult Champion of the series and in a series that I don't find much difficulty with anymore, that's a pretty good feat. However, that's just for battling. As far as being a Champion overall, I much prefer Lance. Cynthia just kind of...gets you to do stuff. Lance actually gets involved with things and there's just something about his presence. Maybe it's the cape. Don't quote me on this though, because it's been some years since I've played DPPt so I'm probably forgetting where Cynthia does something in Platinum.

Overall though, I'm still voting for Cynthia just for being so daunting to fight even to this day.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Cythia due to her design and really strongly balanced team to make you pressure and well prepared.

While Lance is decent it all, but let you it simple swipping.
All you need is a decent ice-type with ice beam, BLAM!!! Dragonite is dead. against charizard waterfall, surf and hydro pump even rock slide to max, his gyra is no pushie just zap it with thunderbolt and gone also Aerodactly zap or crush it with your strongest steel, rock, water and even ice (but I prefer water/steel) just one special attacker on it BLAM! IT died.
MY votes on Cythia because her team is prefect and no flaws. :)
Tl;dr [Lance team is basically themed with dragons, mostly flying and dragon-typing. Which makes ice, rock and electric attack super effective especially dragonite which is died on single ice-type ice beam]

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
Years
Lance, based solely on the fact that I have never played a Sinnoh game. I also really like Lance, I always thought he was so cool. Plus, being practically no trainers in Johto, I do find him challenging.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
Years
I played both games and I find both champions to be quite difficult since you are almost always under leveled, but I personally find Cynthia to be the most difficult of the two. This is primarily because her team have perfect IVs and they are properly EV trained. Although Lance's dragon team was difficult due to their typing but they never pushed me to the point where I felt that I'm going to lose even after spamming potions and revives.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Easy choice. Cynthia hands down. Not only has she got a killer design but her difficulty in the game is x10 greater than that of lance who spams Dragon types which can easily be taken down with a few consecutive Blizzards or Ice Beams. For me, Cynthia demonstrates a true Champion. She uses a variety of Pokemon both of which are strong and majestic.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Cynthia is my favorite champion of all time, and probably one of my favorite characters in the entire series, so... Cynthia is my choice!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
IMO Lance is the better character.

The reason Cynthia doesn't fight alongside your character seems to be that they didn't want to reveal her team before her final appearance, which didn't make sense in Platinum since she kept most of her Pokémon from DP. Still, the others only fight for you after you know their teams. Lance obviously has Dragonite, and Steven has Aggron and doesn't use his Metagross until the final battle.

Both their designs are good, but I hate how Cynthia is this Mary Sue type of character that never loses. In the anime her Pokémon overcome obvious type disadvantages against equally skilled trainers. That's almost as much plot armor as Ash has.

Back