• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I think that Shiek is, as stupid as it sounds, in a similar position as Mulan. In order for Zelda/Mulan to survive, they both had to mask themselves as men and fight. A chinese woman or a Hyrulian woman are expected to be submissive to men, and not engage in physical combat. It was not so much Shiek/Zelda desired to be a man for sexual or gender identity purposes; however, Shiek/Zelda desired to be given the same treatment/opportunity from society as men did. Wow, moments like these just make me feel like a nerd.

First, state sexual orientation. Where have you met other people for potential dates/relationships? What was your experience with differing locations?

Close. Zelda disguised herself to hide from Ganondorf. Being a man makes it less likely to be discovered. Though Sheik fights ninja-like, Zelda can hold her own in battle with her magic.

I wish I could answer the topic question, but I haven't dated yet. Or even had my first kiss. T_T I wouldn't want to date anyone in my area anyways, they're too ghetto.

Have to agree with U_Flame on this one. The second Zelda took off her disguise in OoT, Ganondorf took her away so that made it pretty obvious that she needed the disguise just so she wouldn't be captured, I doubt it had much to do with her seeking for a man's place in the world or anything like that.

1. I'm straight. 2. I've always started relationships organically. My current one started because we met at a club (like a school organization, not a nightclub) and fell for each other within a few days and then were dating within the week, lol. The only other (rl) boyfriend I've had before that I met because he was part of my group of friends and in a class with me, so that was pretty organic too. I'm definitely not the type to look for people to date, between these two boyfriends was about 4 years so it's not like I was looking very hard, lol.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
I think that Shiek is, as stupid as it sounds, in a similar position as Mulan. In order for Zelda/Mulan to survive, they both had to mask themselves as men and fight. A chinese woman or a Hyrulian woman are expected to be submissive to men, and not engage in physical combat. It was not so much Shiek/Zelda desired to be a man for sexual or gender identity purposes; however, Shiek/Zelda desired to be given the same treatment/opportunity from society as men did. Wow, moments like these just make me feel like a nerd.

First, state sexual orientation. Where have you met other people for potential dates/relationships? What was your experience with differing locations?

First, I always stay out if these Zelda/Shiek debates, because I never played OoT. xD

Second question, I have to say the same as U_Flame. :\ Never dated, never kissed anyone, etc. And I don't think looking for a date is that bad, mainly because it would be very difficult for a gay person, where I live, to randomly find another gay guy to be in a relationship with. We're pretty sparse here. xD So, when I come out, and do start wanting to date, I might use eHarmony or whatever. At least, to get the feel for dating under my belt, lol.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Just dropping by to share a picture that was shared by one of the Facebook pages I frequent.
383777_218517871552596_143053525765698_502566_1144650911_n.jpg

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years

First, I always stay out if these Zelda/Shiek debates, because I never played OoT. xD

Second question, I have to say the same as U_Flame. :\ Never dated, never kissed anyone, etc. And I don't think looking for a date is that bad, mainly because it would be very difficult for a gay person, where I live, to randomly find another gay guy to be in a relationship with. We're pretty sparse here. xD So, when I come out, and do start wanting to date, I might use eHarmony or whatever. At least, to get the feel for dating under my belt, lol.

GASP! There's a reason Ocarina of Time is STILL considered one of the greatest games ever made! If you ever get the chance, you HAVE to play it.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't kissed. In my school, being a virgin is a bad thing. If they found out I haven't even kissed, I would be killed!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
GASP! There's a reason Ocarina of Time is STILL considered one of the greatest games ever made! If you ever get the chance, you HAVE to play it.

Until Skyward Sword comes out

Anyway I wanted to share these. There's a club on my campus called the 4 to 5 movement, based around the fact that 80% of educated adults age 18 to 30 support the general package of LGBT rights, but when surveyed the same people guessed that only about 1/3 of people actually did. The goal is to let people know that they actually are in the majority with their support of LGBT issues. These are supposed to be going up around campus in the next couple of days, because...my school kind of has a problem with LGBT issues even though the students don't. :x

Warning these are kinda big.

Spoiler:

Years
Anyway I wanted to share these. There's a club on my campus called the 4 to 5 movement, based around the fact that 80% of educated adults age 18 to 30 support the general package of LGBT rights, but when surveyed the same people guessed that only about 1/3 of people actually did. The goal is to let people know that they actually are in the majority with their support of LGBT issues. These are supposed to be going up around campus in the next couple of days, because...my school kind of has a problem with LGBT issues even though the students don't. :x
I'm sorry, but I can't help but notice that the statistic is 4 out of 5 college educated people between the ages of 18 and 30. Not to get all stereotypin' but I don't think it's these people we need to worry about as much as it is the people who didn't go on to further their education after they left high school or are generally older and/or more "traditionally" minded.

I'm kind of saddened that your school doesn't have the kinds of protections and recognition that I assumed all colleges had. (At least those that weren't small religious ones.)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'm sorry, but I can't help but notice that the statistic is 4 out of 5 college educated people between the ages of 18 and 30. Not to get all stereotypin' but I don't think it's these people we need to worry about as much as it is the people who didn't go on to further their education after they left high school or are generally older and/or more "traditionally" minded.

I'm kind of saddened that your school doesn't have the kinds of protections and recognition that I assumed all colleges had. (At least those that weren't small religious ones.)

Yeah, but the club is...a college club. So the target is college educated people, or people that will become college educated once they graduate. There are a lot of movements and such to try to raise tolerance among people who aren't tolerant, but the point of this is to get people to realize that they're in the majority so they don't feel uncomfortable speaking up on the topic. It's specifically targeted towards that 80%.

Yeah I think the main problem is that my school gets a huge majority of its money from alumni donations, and when the alumni don't like something, they tell us with their wallets. ND took a huge beating financially when they invite Barack Obama to speak on campus because of his pro-choice views as it is, I doubt they want to stir up more controversy and possibly lose the donors that have been loyal up until now. It's dumb but money talks. :/

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
I'm sorry, but I can't help but notice that the statistic is 4 out of 5 college educated people between the ages of 18 and 30.
Yeah, I'm not sure the statistic is as accurate and clear-cut as they're going for. What does "the general package" mean exactly?

Still, I do think it's a majority myself I just think it's hard to measure without giving people a whole analysis and stuff. Everyone's different on these issues and in my opinion it's hard to say if someone's a "supporter" if they don't think discrimination based on sexuality or gender identity should be legal, but aren't okay with gay marriage (as an example).

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I kind of thought you guys would...appreciate it. I thought it was a good idea at least. Nevermind then.

Years
I kind of thought you guys would...appreciate it. I thought it was a good idea at least. Nevermind then.
Don't let my pessimism deter you. I should have added that I do think it's a welcome effort regardless of my cynical response. I guess I just didn't connect that your college was a Catholic college. Dx I am very sorry.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
D: Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't like the idea! I think it's pretty cool and really actually should be done; I was just giving additional commentary I guess.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Now look what y'all did. You have saddened the Toujours.

Is it really true that teachers can still get fired for their sexual orientation at your college? In 2011? How is that not unlawful? :/

*is sheltered in American laws*

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It's alright I'm over it. xD

And yeah I think it's because it's a private college. They reserve the right to fire people for whatever they want except for the things in their discrimination clause, but they don't have sexual orientation in there despite overwhelming support for it so yeahhh.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
It's alright I'm over it. xD

And yeah I think it's because it's a private college. They reserve the right to fire people for whatever they want except for the things in their discrimination clause, but they don't have sexual orientation in there despite overwhelming support for it so yeahhh.
Obviously sexual orientation should be put on the list, but don't you think that would be symbolic if anything? I mean employment is between the employer and the employee so if the homophobic people in your school really wanted to fire someone for being gay, wouldn't they just fire the person and pretend it's some other reason?

Let me be extra clear that I think sexual orientation and gender identity should be on every anti-discrimination policy, I just don't think that alone would actually make the discrimination stop. :(

Too many italics.

Years

Obviously sexual orientation should be put on the list, but don't you think that would be symbolic if anything? I mean employment is between the employer and the employee so if the homophobic people in your school really wanted to fire someone for being gay, wouldn't they just fire the person and pretend it's some other reason?

Let me be extra clear that I think sexual orientation and gender identity should be on every anti-discrimination policy, I just don't think that alone would actually make the discrimination stop. :(

Too many italics.
They could try to fire someone and say it was for some other reason, but unless they actually have another reason it's going to look really suspicious and give them bad publicity. Not that I think it would be good publicity if they did fire a gay teacher even though their rules say they can, but if they tried to say "Oh we're all cool with having gay teachers" and then fired one it would be extra bad PR.

And yeah. Your school is a far cry from the one I went to. My university has a college system and the college I was associated with was the de facto queer college. We even put on queer fashion shows every year. I guess I assumed that colleges were, if not the same, then similar in attitude. I mean, it's college after all.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
And yeah. Your school is a far cry from the one I went to. My university has a college system and the college I was associated with was the de facto queer college. We even put on queer fashion shows every year. I guess I assumed that colleges were, if not the same, then similar in attitude. I mean, it's college after all.
-Totally wants to go to that kind of college-
im gay but only a few friends know it. i just dont know how to tell my parents
I'm assuming that means you want to join, so welcome to the club Magma Wolf! :) Andy (Shining Raichu) will come over and add you to the club once he's done polishing his nails or lining his eyes or whatever doing manly things.
Umm coming out is a sensitive issue that depends on a lot of different factors so I don't know what to say straight out, but we've all got some sort of strange advice if you explain your situation to us. :)

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
Years
<.< >.>

What's up everyone? I've been seeing this around. Just never thought to actually click on it and see what it was about until now. Wished I did sooner. XD

I would like to join this club as an ally. I am heterosexual now...kinda. Well, I use to be bisexual you see, until recently. I still have an appreciation for the male form I guess, so I guess I could be marked as bicurious? Not sure how to go about that. ANYWAYS! Some people might say that I'm a little too honest with some things, but every now and then, someone needs to be frank. I guess I'll be that person, if I'm accepted. ^o^

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years

<.< >.>

What's up everyone? I've been seeing this around. Just never thought to actually click on it and see what it was about until now. Wished I did sooner. XD

I would like to join this club as an ally. I am heterosexual now...kinda. Well, I use to be bisexual you see, until recently. I still have an appreciation for the male form I guess, so I guess I could be marked as bicurious? Not sure how to go about that. ANYWAYS! Some people might say that I'm a little too honest with some things, but every now and then, someone needs to be frank. I guess I'll be that person, if I'm accepted. ^o^

Welcome to the both of you! Everyone is always welcome here, haha. ^__^

And yes honestly is good. ^__^ I don't think it will be too much of a problem. xD

Years
Well, before figuring out how, do you think it would be safe to tell your parents? That's the most important thing to ask before you decide if you should. I'm probably sounding overly cautious, but you never know.

If you're going to tell them then you could do it in person or by some other means if you don't feel you can tell them directly (like by calling them or something). I would think it would be better to tell them in person though unless you really don't think you could. You can also think about telling one of them before the other, or another family member first. If you have anyone else you might think would be more sympathetic (and could maybe stand by you when you tell your parents) that could be a big help. You'd have someone to support you and you'd already have gone through the coming out process with someone in your family/someone you're close to.

But yeah, it's not something that we can really advice on without knowing your situation. We wouldn't want to give you bad advice on accident.

Back