• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokemon anime really need ???

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
One of major problem is that writers of this series are so concern with Ash being a Gary sue that they won't let be a decent trainer at all .
I mean , Ash should be far beyond a Ordinary trainer after all the experience he got . BUT YET HE CAN'T COUNTER ''ATTRACT'' WITHOUT A POKEMON OF SAME GENDER !!!
It like Writer want Ash to win as less as possible !!!
Underdog protagonist doesn't work all the time ! Plus Underdog protagonist need 2 thing to make the show interesting -

-A Girl that the Protagonist likes

-A childhood rival he envy .

Ash had a childhood rival call Gary who he envied . But Gary's chapter ended long time ago and even if Ash face new main rival , Ash won't be Jealous of them .
And The girl Serena likes Ash .
If My memory serve me right Then ''Popular Gary sue protagonist'' are loved by the girl while ''Popular underdog protagonist'' loves the girl .
So honestly , I think writer should let Ash win as much as Possible .
Animes like ''Yakitate Japan'' & ''Prince of Tennis'' has unbeatable Gary Sue protagonist but those anime are super popular & those Anime has much better rival then the trash called Trip .
Ya , Gary sue protagonist can be annoying when writer just make show about the Protagonist trashing everyone with no story what so ever . But It same thing when writer made a story where the Protagonist get trashed by everyone with no story .
Not to mention , Ash is a trainer who conquer Battle frontier and defected trainer with legendary Pokemon So When he lose to mare Kindergarten Teacher & Poacher , It make all those other trainer look Bad .Because Ash not only carrying his pride But also the pride of the people he beaten.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
This is what I think the animé needs: The death of Team Rocket. Really, they've gotten stale since the beginning of the Johto series, & I'm getting sick & tired of hearing their motto every single time that they make an appearance, which happens every time.

Outside of that, the animé's golden. Just remove Jessie, James, & their talking Meowth, & I'm sold.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
I'm watching the dub so I have no idea if this has went down since we have yet to even have Serena meet Ash but I want jealously and her to fall for him. Not like the misty thing. I want a true full fledged no holding back canon ship!

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
serious characters not everything has to be comic relief
also for the pokemon company can stop being greedy and let ash win

Also i would love for the pokemon of the week style of storylines to end i feel like every episode should be important and not just ash meets this pokemon today and next week ash meets this pokemon for twenty episodes until he gets to a pokemon gym

also i would of love seeing ash use more of his older pokemon later on in the series also older characters too why introduce so many rivals and have them disappear from life after the gen ends

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
and let ash win
This is the biggest problem... you see... we are already complaining that Satoshi should be able to beat everyone due to his experience even though he did not win any major competitions =)
Now let's talk hypothetically. Satoshi wins league => he gets recognized as a competent trainer. Writers would lose the possibility to actually let Satoshi lose to his new rival because it would make no sense. It kinda makes sense now because after being beaten it means that Satoshi is not strong enough. They would have to make him OP who beats everything and everyone he meets... Is that Pokemon anime we really want to see? Maybe the older audience would like for a while but it would get boring after a while and I'm not even talking about new audience who would just see another OP protagonist they couldn't relate to.

also for the pokemon company can stop being greedy
MittRomneyHugeLaugh.jpg

(I just had to =D)
Nah... this won't ever happen as long as the games are being released =)

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019

This is the biggest problem... you see... we are already complaining that Satoshi should be able to beat everyone due to his experience even though he did not win any major competitions =)
Now let's talk hypothetically. Satoshi wins league => he gets recognized as a competent trainer. Writers would lose the possibility to actually let Satoshi lose to his new rival because it would make no sense. It kinda makes sense now because after being beaten it means that Satoshi is not strong enoughMaybe the older audience would like for a while but it would get boring after a while and I'm not even talking about new audience who would just see another OP protagonist they couldn't relate to.

Ash getting beaten by Trip didn't make sense ether even though Ash didn't won the major tournament !
Honestly , Your argument is totally invalid .
If writer want Ash to lose to a new rival then they had to make a main rival who worthy to beat Ash instate of depowering Ash so Trash like Trip or Cameron could beat him .
If Ash need to lose a main rival after winning 1 league , then writer should create a experience rival who won 2 league or a grand Festival .Thats how it will make sense .
Hack , Writer could turn the E4 & champion into Ash's rivals .
Plus there are PC character Lucas , Brendan , Hilbert , Rosa ,Nate etc out there to be Ash's rival.
Man , I will be so happy if Pokemon Z has 13 or 17 year old boy as the New E4 Champion of Kalo. (Like Wallace)
In negima , Negi was pretty much overpowered from the first episode But it doesn't stop him from having a main rival called ''Fate'' !!!
Ya That right , Ash should have a rival like ''Fate'' who ability suppress normal human being and process the power of Mega charizard X .

. They would have to make him OP who beats everything and everyone he meets... Is that Pokemon anime we really want to see?
May be that what Kids want to see !!!
''Prince of Tennis'' , ''Yakitate Japan'' , ''Yugioh Original series'' etc etc are pretty much like that and those anime become popular among both newer & older audience !!!
I myself saw my younger cousin (10 or bellow) to watch Prince of Tennis even it wasn't meant for Kids . May be he like Ryoma beat all the bullies with Tennis .
So , There is no problem in Ash being a OP who beat everyone and everything as long as he face various challenges to Overcome .
Just because Doremon is popular with an Underdog doesn't mean every anime with Underdog protagonist will be popular . ''Yugioh Zexal'' isn't nearly as popular as previous series even though the protagonist is an underdog .
Plus , Writer could just replace Ash after the league .
Most older fans doesn't seem to have any problem and I don't know why Newer audience will have any problem with replacing if they just started watching the show .
Digimon ,Precure , Jewelpet and Kamon-rider are popular despite the change of Protagonist .
Plus , Wasn't Digimon Hunter nominated for Emmy award ????

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
I have to agree with the majority and say that the characters really need more development. Also, less painful moments.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
The Anime need Real challenge !
I mean , What real challenge Ash face ? A haxed Rookie & a noob ! woooo I'm so excited , nah !
Even his sidekick face greater challenge then him But there no point in Sidekick , rival & referring character overcoming challenge if the Protagonist doesn't Overcome greater Challenges .
Here let me show ya some real challenge-

-Ash must win a Major individual Tournament using a Goomy ! In other word , Ash must use the most Weakest dragon Pokemon to win a Tournament filled with trainer with Dragonite , Gardveor , Rhyperior etc ! THAT A CHALLENGE .

-Ash face a strong trainer in the full-battle during the league but half of his Pokemon are warn out due to encountering Team rocket earlier So Ash must beat that guy using 3 pokemon Or he's out of the League ! THAT'S A CHALLENGE !

-Ash must win against a Ghost type using a pokemon who doesn't know any move that can harm a ghost type since all its attack is Normal/Fighting . THAT A CHALLENGE .

Etc Etc Etc !!!
Why do you all think that Anime like ''Prince of Tennis'' , ''Yakitate Japan'' & ''Yugioh'' is super popular despite the hero being a Opt who beat everyone & everything .
Its simple , The Protagonist of those Anime face's impossible challenge and they won over it .
Those Anime are super-popular because they are super-challenging .
You think , People like an Underdog Protagonist because he's an Underdog ???
NOPE , People like Underdog protagonist because its more ''Challenging'' for an Underdog to reach the Top then a genius .
The current battle of Pokemon is "'Win or lose , Just laught Ha Ha Ha'!'
This motto is bore the crap out of People .
I think people would want to see ''Battles that Ash must win but he can't win because the odds are against him.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
A reboot. They need to get rid of Ash and let another character take the main role. Honestly I don't know why they kept Ash for so long with all the protagonist changes in the games and PokéSpe.

DarkCloud1267

Master Trainer
Years
A reboot. They need to get rid of Ash and let another character take the main role. Honestly I don't know why they kept Ash for so long with all the protagonist changes in the games and PokéSpe.
It's actually quite simple. Ash has been around for so long because the character is popular.
You'd be surprised at how many people actually like him(myself included)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Digimon tried that several times with their main characters, and the results weren't well-received. So what makes you think it won't happen with Pokémon's long-running protagonist?

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Digimon tried that several times with their main characters, and the results weren't well-received. So what makes you think it won't happen with Pokémon's long-running protagonist?

Digimon Xros war increased toy sales of Digimon !
Also The squeal Digmon Fusion was nominated for Emmy award !
So Your wrong about Digimon .
Also Precure still get the same rating Pokemon gets despite changing Protagonist every series . I heard that Sometime Precure toy sales beat Doreamon & Pokemon.
Plus , Aren't Jewel pet Tinkle is more popular then the First Jewel Pet Series !
I guess it was popular because the protagonist was a girl who felt insecure due to her owerwhemling Popular sister so it created a mild Siding rivalry that Kids enjoyed !
Anyway,
Pokemon Anime's popularity decreasing with or without Ash So I think it a better shot for changing Main character .
Writer can create a new main character who's insecure due to his genius elder Brother and he's also has a crush on a childhood friend who's close to his childhood rival .
Plus , if it doesn't work out that writer can brought Ash back as an International Police who investigating the evil Team in the new region and help the New MC time to time .

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
i would def like to see more character development for not only the humans but for the pokemon as well we need more island of the giant pokemon episodes where we see everybodies pokemon scattered and have to fend themselves without the trainers with subtitles to understand the pokemon

also leagues should be 20 to 25 episodes there no reason we should skip through battles in one frame if your gonna put all these rivals (cough BW) give em all their epic battles

and i didnt mind evil team rocket in BW they had to lay low to draw team plasma out (Original reasoning until the tsunami cancelled TRvsTP) thats why they werent going nuts going after pikachu and had their black outfits the whole time in the beginning thats why even wobbuffet didnt go with them

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2016
-EV training
-Attack moves that match a Pokemon's strongest stats.
-A journey where Ash travels with Anabel and Bugsy, along with AbilityShipping.
-Higher stakes in the Pokemon League, so Ash will take things seriously and win.
-The return of Bill, along with his secret garden.
-Janine, Will, Karen, Sidney, Phoebe, Glacia, Grimsley, Shauntal, Marshall, Argenta, Darach, Dahlia, Thornton
-Brendan, Lucas, Hilbert, Hilda, Nate, Rosa, Hugh, Calem, Shauna, Tierno, Trevor, AZ
-Celio, Lanette, Bebe, Amanita, and Cassius.
-Daisy Oak, Classic Blue (from the beta R/G/B artwork), Emerald, Yellow
-Ash's father
-Jacred
-The return of Porygon, along with Porygon2 and Porygon-Z
-The return of Pidgeot, Butterfree, and Pink Butterfree
-Missingno.
-Ash winning a conference and moving up in the ranks.
-The definition of what a Pokemon Master is, along with the introduction of the actual Pokemon Masters, who are higher-ranked than the regional champions.
-Team Rocket trio quitting Team Rocket, retrieving every Pokemon they ever owned, and becoming spies for Looker.
-Antagonists like Damian (Part of Team Rocket), Domino, Silver (Giovanni's son, with ownership of Black Tyranitar), The Team Rocket Execs: Proton, Petrel, Ariana, Archer, The King of Pokelantis, Cipher, and Cyrus (God Mode)
-Classic Red being Ash's cousin, and a full 6-on-6 battle
-An all-out battle between Ash and Giovanni
-An actual interaction between Ash and Ho-oh.
-Keldeo joining Ash's team, while still keeping ties with the Swords of Justice.
-Children younger than 10 being allowed to own Pokemon, but can't register for the Pokemon League.
-Max getting Ralts early, along with Spoink (the one that appeared for two episodes)
-Gym Leaders/Frontier Brains/Conference Winners/Top Coordinators and up being allowed to take children younger than 10 as apprentices.
-Max and Bonnie traveling together/FourthWheelShipping.
-Bonnie obtaining Jigglypuff (the same one from season 1)
-Mewtwo (Barlett) vs Mewtwo (Pultro) as Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y respectively.
-The survival of Dr. Fuji (Movie 1)
-A bigger role for Miranda (Movie 1), tied to legendary Pokemon.
-Arceus allowing Amber to return to the living world and visit her father once a year.
-Molly returning to Pallet Town and developing a sibling-like bond with Ash.
-The giant Dragonite from episode 14 being a shiny.
-LuckShipping
-Gary becoming a trainer again.

Last edited:

BasedNate

ImDaBes
Years
Honestly, XY Series is going in the right direction.
I like it so far as equal as Johto.
If Brock was in it, I'd love it more than Johto.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Honestly, XY Series is going in the right direction.
I like it so far as equal as Johto.
If Brock was in it, I'd love it more than Johto.

1. How exactly is XY doing so well? What is making the series actually work?
2. Keep in mind that Johto was the beginning of Pokemon's famous arc fatigue, along with the over abundance of Misty pulling Brock's ear.
3. If he were in it he would borderline between a stern Team Dad (one-timers like Marilyn and Narissa were not safe from him) and the Butt Monkey who once again fawns over every woman, only to be at the mercy of Croagunk (because he never leaves it at home), or possibly worse, Serena (Misty) or Bonnie (Max).

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
This is LONG post, so i in advance thank anyone who has enough patience and desire to read through this.
But for this topic short, moderated answer wouldn't imo give elaborated and enough explaieed review on key issues pokemon anime is faced with and what approach should be taken to make it more enjoyable, meaningful and captivating to follow.

With this type of questions its hard to make non biased response, because whatever we believe might improve quality of anime appeal and its storyline is at least partially influenced by our own desires and wishful thinkings. Therefore not guaranteeing how our suggestions would indeed strengthen character development, consistent following and thrill of journey itself in pokemon series.

But for the sake of discussion ill list what in my mind would help to push anime in better, more engaging direction. Meaning increasing its continuity, offer deeper, more concrete growth of characters, dash of unpredictable innovative ideas which would shake things up breaking down stagnation and monotony. Along with maintaining connections to history and past influencing characters adding to credibility of Ash journey and consistent following staying faithful to previous growth and unity which keeps Ash linked with everyone else.

In as much increasing depth of tale pokemon anime seemingly promotes.

To start things of:
1: -Shake up current way Ash character has been handled and plot which focus around his journey of exploring new regions, cultures, traditions and various people. Provide indications of all his previous effort, struggles, training and learning on mistakes was worth it bringing him closer toward accomplishmernt of his own dreams and ultimate quest of becoming pokemon master. Such as having him win regional league for change with new grounds being break with it. We all know how winning one league is just tip of iceberg in what his desire of becoming best pokemon trainer in world and pokemon master entails. After that there exists champion lesgue, challenge of E4 and battle with champion.

Which is also just one of steps required to be accomplished on road of becoming pokemon master as evidenced by E4 Lucian from DP saga. There are plenty of other regions afterwards to explore, make name for yourself amoing other trainers and develop all kind of even better, more ingenious battle techniques following principle of "we continue to learn and expand our knowledge through whole life". In order to become worldwide famous and truly best.

In fact after champion league there could easily exist other, more challenging tasks like some sort of league for trainers which managed to win championship gathering only those worthy enough to enter such intense events and through selection choice face various tasks and evaluators until only one is left(similar to eay BF worked with only exceptional trainers getting ticket to get there).

Expand on Ash connection with Ho Oh and why he was deemed as creditable and special enough to show himself to it. Dig deeper in Ash past bringing more dimension to his character, potential fears and repressed resentment he may have felt for issues with past which he tried to forgett. Like whole thing with father which could play important role in Ash life and offer gateway toward great development. Giving to viewer extraordinary experience of different take on Ash growth being taken.

Whole issue of Ash father was also brought up in that for some infamous interview with mr. Hidaka from 2008:
Who is Ash's father? This one made him laugh, since I asked it rather bluntly and simply. He explained Ash's grandfather was a great Trainer who traveled the lands a long time ago, and Ash's father followed in his footsteps and left. Then I asked if he would ever appear, and he responded that only if the writers felt a need to "grow" Ash as a character (personal note: we need some character development, please).

All of this would make Ash long journey more believable, filled with content and bigger quality on strengthening its connections to past and making it treated like continuity based show. Rather than some weird compound full of fragmented pieces of development scattered all over the place with no real plot or history behind itself.
Inciting enthusiasm among viewers how long story of Ash travels, learning experience and established strong bonds with various characters leaving impact on him has sense of progression making journey all that more believable seeming like story is actually going somewhere.

2: -In alignment to that writers should keep ties with previous sagas, anime history and friends which played important role in Ash life.

Staying faithful to message pokemon series promote about show which is supposed to be treated as entity which builds on itself paying attention to previous characters and events making pokeworld feel more closer and connected. Acknowledging how they have their stories and unfinished dreams too, how there exist close bond which should tie Ash with them with friendship and impact meaning something in end. Rather than being forgotten about never to be seen anymore, enjoy in their unique antics and divergent personalities with effort and plots staying acknowledged bringing everyone somewhere eventually.

Have them play some sort of recurring role coming in future sagas for their goal/story purposes interlacing story path between them and Ash meeting at some point joining company for awhile(like N did). To catch up on missed time, see them develop more and help move current story forward tying their dreams into it when they could benefit. Have bring unexpected surpruse with their return making dynamic more lively and varied thx to their presence.

Like Misty who i would like to see back the most. Not necessarily just because she was among my favorite companions but also because she was absent since 2005 being great character with lot of personality and some update would be welcomed being interesting to see how she would work in today anime format. Having unfinished story and unused potential which gives character required stamina and material to put her to good use again (like her goal never becoming water pokemon master rquring traveling and entering events like Whirl Cup was to spread your name worldwide and sharp skills coming closer toward such title, many unanswered things about past like parents, why she likes water types wanting to master them, why she fears bugs etc) ,. There is also whole admiration toward Lorelei and E4 members offering whole new angle through which her dreams could be tied into it and gave deep character development.

In sense of trying to becoming E4 member tying her quest directly into it( of becoming best type trainer, something E4 are) and introducing tasks or evaluators she would need to pass to determine if said character has potential for such thing giving her some quality development, potentially facing dilemma and fear if she is up for such task and where she really belongs in trainer scene.
In form of logical progression from curent position of filling in for sisters and taking care of gym bringing outlet to push her story to next level
and serve as massive step forward in bevoming honored and recognized water specialist thus bringing her very close toward achievement of water master dream. Along with giving us fresh new way to see someone getting developed , promote pokemon and leave mark on storyline making it richer.
Someone spunky, fiery and perky like her would certainly light more spark, tension and enthusiasm in cast through wide diapason of emotions she can produce imo.

Not just Misty, all of previous companions should be returning for special arcs or joining main cast for season or two letting viewers know how they are not forgotten and how all their growth, influence they left on plot and Ash character, strong friendship they have with him contributing in anime building on itself wasn't for nothing.

In general return of popular all time favorite would be fresh and unpredictable twist to pokemon series pleasing many older fans and giving something new and unpredictable for younger generations sparking their interest to find out who they are helping them to better understand Ash past.
Since experiences from past give watcher insight in foregoing and coverage on amount of growth and hard work done prior to reaching point on which characters and story are standing right now.

Such approach would not only be generous gesture for new generations giving them insight in pokemon history with current story being enriched with more "meat", but it would also make older fans appreciate anime to higher degree serving as nice throwback to past improving anime storyline.

3: -Reduce repetition and rehashing of previous ideas. Like repeat of same situation with every Ash fire starter being neglected, abused by previous trainer managing to overcome its issues and grow under Ash tutorship. Pikachu refusing to evolve. Predictable cycle of rivals always having faster learning curve than main protagonist until they get defeated in final confrontation. Rather than more innovative approach such as rivals themselves being less talented having to catch up to main protaginist level bringing new twist in story. Main girl having fight with Ash just to later in same episode peace things out applying same formula on her legatee.
Team Rocket constantly following same principle of trying to catch Pikachu on never ending futile quest which last for decade and half. Serving as comic relief which gets blasted off. Etc, etc.

For instance why not make Giovanni and existence of TR organization play more prevalence in pokemon world as whole, have them clash with new regional organizations like Team Flare or any other future crime groups in fighting for predominance. Affecting Ash, his friends and everyone else lives on more groundbreaking basis effectively bringing another plot through which protagonists could be more actively involved. Reducing on episodes with no content, repetitivity and no real prospect of things changing from stagnating point.

Like i brought up before unpredictable twists, at times change of direction in which events and characters are being taken and fresh surprises from past building on plot suspense are desierable for long running serie like pokemon. In fact even encouraging to have eventful story, strong plot which builds on itself maintaining continuity and ties with past supporting its credibility, more substantial sense of moving forward and true charm of journey where main characters explore wotld, work toward dreams and have legacy left behind.

Last edited:

stp

ShootThePuck
Years
Yeah, I'm one of those nostalgic people that wants Misty to make a full return. May and Max were terrible replacements for her, Dawn is okaaaay, and Iris was barely in some episodes to begin with (from my understanding; I didn't watch BW and never really fully watched Adv or DP). Misty brought a certain appeal to the anime, and while she could get annoying with her water Pokemon worshipping, her other characters traits were fantastic and the replacements for her just haven't lived up to expectations.

Seriously, can Ash win a conference? If his goal is to be a Pokemon master, one conference victory won't make him him think he's a hot shot and destroy his dream. Ash could make the most stacked team and still lose in the quarterfinals.

Character development, pleaaassseeeee. The only difference between the Ash of episode 1 and the Ash of episode 748 is that Ash didn't go outside in his pajamas that episode.

It's missing that charm that it used to have. There was always shenanigans going on, whether it was Team Rocket, a Pokemon, an interesting character (like the Mt. Moon guy!), Murkrow stealing his gym badges, Togepi's metronome, etc. It needs some of that.

Anyways, rant over. I'll go back to watching Kanto and Johto.

Back