• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Modernizing the FireRed field engine?

KotovSyndrome_

Consumer of many asparagus.
Years
Could you make FR have seasons, for example, or day specific events e.g. Christmas/Halloween?

I thought maybe because it's running off an Emulator, the ROM could get the time/date from the computer it's played on.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Could you make FR have seasons, for example, or day specific events e.g. Christmas/Halloween?

I thought maybe because it's running off an Emulator, the ROM could get the time/date from the computer it's played on.

Simply use MM_X's Day/Night, copy the RTC bytes to a variable in a script, and check them in a script, then do whatever the heck you want after it's checked. :)

r0bert

Quitifyingly awesome.
Years
yes but seasons would be cool like you have a forest in the winter everything is snow covered and frozen
in autumn/fall all the leaves are orange red and brown
in summer all the trees are green
spring blossoms grow

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2011
yes but seasons would be cool like you have a forest in the winter everything is snow covered and frozen
in autumn/fall all the leaves are orange red and brown
in summer all the trees are green
spring blossoms grow

That would be awesome!

I'd like it if the FireRed engine got modernized. I'm working on a FireRed hack now (by myself) and if you ask me (just my personal two cents on the matter), I'd say these would be nice implements:

-Secret Base ( You can make them in caves, underwater, etc instead of just trees all the time. The bases in Emerald were far better than DPPt who had them underground all the time.)
-PokeNav (IMO one of the best features. Upgrade the match call to make as well as give it the features fo the PokeWatch from DPPt)
-Abilities (We need more abilities that come from 4th gen and all the ones from 3rd gen that have the same effects as in emerald)
-Moves (needs to be heavily updated with moves from 4th and 5th gen)
-Day/Night (a must for pokemon who need to evolve depending on the time of the day)

And more on like with the tilesets and stuff.

Edit - Also does anyone know how to fix AdvanceMapError(5)?? I cant edit anything in the event pane.

Last edited:

Amabane~*

Hard Boiled Shinigami
Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2022
I suggest just one thing for now, but maybe one of the best improvements possible: The 4th generation damage split (Physical Fire Punch, Special Shadow Ball, etc). It was already proven this is possible, since a lot of japanese FR and Emerald hacks (like the lastest release of FR Touhoumon, the 1.8x version) has it already implemented.

Just this one would make a huge improvement in the Advance games engine, and open a lot of options to the gameplay.

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
Don't know if this is a legit bump, but I'll go for it anyways:
Thanks to Jambo51 we have the fix to the whole "Trainer doesn't face opponent" issue.
It's in this thread.
Now if only we could get a true Battle Tower System like the one from RSE [not the watered down version that Fire Red gave us]. Also I'm interested in the item fanfare as using giveitem2 [which would allow one to use their own fanfare] does't seem to work.

Years
The item sound.
That Level Up sound is inappropriate for getting items - since Gold/Silver we've had the new Item Get fanfare . Is it also possible to implement the TM Get fanfare when a player receives a TM, and the Berry Get fanfare when the player finds a Berry?

The script at 0x81A4E66 contains the standard script which is called when you obtain an item (what MSG_FIND actually refers to).

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

'---------------
#org @start
textcolor 0x3
compare 0x8002 0x101
if 0x1 call @snippet1
compare 0x8002 0x13E
if 0x1 call @snippet2
preparemsg 0x0
waitmsg
waitfanfare
compare 0x8002 0x101
if 0x1 call @snippet3
giveitem 0x8000 0x8001 0x8
call @snippet4
return

'---------------
#org @snippet1
fanfare 0x101
return

'---------------
#org @snippet2
fanfare 0x13E
return

'---------------
#org @snippet3
pause 0x32
return

'---------------
#org @snippet4
copyvar 0x8012 0x8013
return

fanfare 0x101 is the fanfare played when you level up. You can just change this to whatever you like, whether it be a new sound you insert and so on: just remember to repoint the script (or to not refactor when decompiling). You'll also probably want to edit 0x81A667B, which is the script for when you MSG_OBTAIN an item, and 0x81A67B3 which I believe is for TM / HMs? I'm not too sure.

Last edited:
Back