• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Random Team wins Local Tournament

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2018
A local Gaming store where I live had done a tournament that ended today.The winner would get $300 in store credit that could be used on anything.There was like 56-60 participants in it, I signed up due to the fact my friends had all entered and were pestering me to enter as well, so I gave in and entered.
This tournament lasted 3 days, and I won with the most random of teams that I put together in 2 days time.Suffice to say, I will be saving some of the store credit to get Black/White2.

The rules of the Tournament were pretty much no legendary pokemon or items were allowed to be used at all, had to have an actual game of pokemon black/white, no flashcart with the rom etc. and all pokemon had to be legit, and not hacked in anyway.
Pretty the major part of the rulings.

Anyway here is the Team I used:

Leavanny
Nature:Hasty, Ability:Chlorophyll
Moveset:
X-Scissor
Leaf Blade
Leaf Storm
Silver Wind

Scolipede
Nature:Adamant, Ability:Poison Point
Moveset:
Toxic
Bug Bite
Steamroller
Sunny Day

Espeon
Nature:Modest, Ability:Synchronize
Moveset:
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Future Sight
Grass Knot

Typhlosion
Nature:Timid, Ability:Blaze
Moveset:
Flamethrower
Gyro Ball
Sunny Day
Thunder Punch

Archeops
Nature:Adamant, Ability:Defeatist
Moveset:
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Ancient Power
Rockslide

Durant
Nature:Naive, Ability:Swarm
Moveset:
Iron Head
Thunder Wave
Swagger
Sandstorm

See I told you it was a random team in a sense.

The Team Strategy:
The plan for this team was to keep Sunny Day going as much as possible to allow Leavanny to be as fast as possible.
while Durant was mainly in to paralyze what Scolipede couldn't poison.
Archeops was in to be a dragon killer, and to throw out the occasion earthquake when it could.
Espeon was my special sweeper fir for ghost,fighting, and bulky water types.
Typhlosion played the role of bug and ice exterminator and had a back up plan for water and flying types, also Typhlosion and Scolipede kept Sunny Day going as much as they could.

Also, what do you all think of the team?

(also sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I figured since it was competitive battling it would go in the section.Please move if it is in the wrong section.)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
It'd be a good idea to see your Pokemon's EVs. :/

This looks like a Sun team to me, so I'll rate it as if it were a sun team.

Leavanny is better off using physical attacks to hurt the opponent, but its main flaw is its shallow offensive movepool; it has nothing to hurt Steels with. It must make do with this:
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-X-Scissor
-Return/Baton Pass
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll

Scolipede can't utilize Sunny Day on its own; that move will only increase its vulnerability to Fire moves, as well as Leavanny's. Volcarona is a better candidate because of its Fire STAB and better offenses:
-Sunny Day
-Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Quiver Dance/Psychic/Hidden Power (Ground/Rock)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Heat Rock

But then again, Ninetales should be in there because of its Drought ability making sunlight permanent:
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-Will-o-Wisp
-Hidden Power (Fighting/Ground)/Hypnosis
Item: Wide Lens/Life Orb
Ability: Drought

Espeon must use Magic Bounce as its ability because that's the ability that makes it so good, plus it also helps get Stealth Rock off the field:
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psyshock/Psychic
-Hidden Power (Ground/Fire/Fighting)
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce

or
-Calm Mind
-Baton Pass
-Stored Power
-Hidden Power (Fighting)
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce

While Typhlosion has some merit as a Sunny Day sweeper, your current set isn't using it in its full potential; it has physical attacks when it has a Timid nature. Heatran may be a better alternative because of how it can go offensive or defensive:
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)
-Stealth Rock
Nature: Timid/Modest
Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

or
-Lava Plume
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Roar/Protect
-Stealth Rock
Nature: Calm
EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe

Archeops' offensive movepool is very good, and its set is putting it to waste. Abusing Acrobatics is one of Archeops' selling points:
-Acrobatics
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake/Earth Power
-U-turn
Nature: Jolly/Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Flying Gem

With the modifications I've made, it seems that Durant is out-of-place here because of its huge Fire weakness. Like I said before, Volcarona is a perfect fit in the team:
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance/Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz
-Morning Sun/Roost
Nature: Bold
EVs: 240 HP/216 Def/52 Spe

or
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance/Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz
-Rest
Nature: Modest
EVs: 160 HP/252 SAtk/96 Spe
Item: Chesto Berry

or
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance/Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power (Ground/Rock)
Item: Life Orb

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
@Platinum Dude I dunno if he's asking for a Rate My Team or any build up advice since he's just showing the team he used to win a local tournament.

I am quite surprised you won the whole thing with a randomly assorted team. Color me impressed. A good number of your's are traditional so your make shift Sunny Team must have thrown everyone off balance XD By the time they knew what hit them it was too late.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
@Platinum Dude I dunno if he's asking for a Rate My Team or any build up advice since he's just showing the team he used to win a local tournament.

I am quite surprised you won the whole thing with a randomly assorted team. Color me impressed. A good number of your's are traditional so your make shift Sunny Team must have thrown everyone off balance XD By the time they knew what hit them it was too late.

You could be right; sorry. I was just giving him a bit of advice there. xP

But year, I kinda agree with you; achieving a win with a random team like that sure was amazing. xD

Back