• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hows this Idea sound?

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
I was thinking of starting a fan fic (A multiple chapter fan fic) Based on the Mystery Dungeon Series in the sense that every character is a Pokemon and it'll have alot of the elements from that game. That's probably been done by now so I thought of ideas to make it more unique.

So I want to make this an action/adventure story. I was thinking the main team of the story would be an Explorer team with a twist. This is a Pirate Guild, the guild itself is a massive ship. They go around to different parts of the world doing missions along the way, but their greatest interest would be treasure, adventure, and exploring of course. I was thinking making the team not your average goody-goody team from the games but a Guild with a bad rep. They wouldn't be bad per say but the guildmembers would be roughhouses and trouble makers and the fact that their Guild can move to a different location of the world anytime would make other Guilds angry at them coming to their terretory, thus giving the leading Guild quite the hate.

I would base the story on "Essences". Sorta like Time Gears, but expanded to multiple categories. The essences would stretch from Sea Essence to Time Essence, and many more. Each one would be guarded by a certain pokemon, usually a legendary. If a Pokemon was to obtain a certain essence they would gain the power attached to it. I would sorta base a plot on that, and basic adventuring.

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
Years
That's a very good idea. Why the hell don't you work for Nintendo?

Seriously, why isn't this a game yet?! D:<

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
I have a really good system to make this all work too, it should flow pretty smoothly. And thank you!

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I agree, this idea has a lot of potential. My only suggestion is that you should make sure these rough-and-tough Pokémon have redeeming features, so the reader doesn't feel detached from the main characters. :)

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
Well the guild in itself will be a Pirate Crew. In a pirate crew you'd have to learn to love all your crewmates, and each one would play an important role to the Ship itself. They travel around dangerous seas, so the main guild members will all have important roles. Navigators, Cooks, Shipwrights, Helmsmen, Captain, First Mates, Doctors and more, so each character should get quite a bit of spot light time and I'll spread the wealth when it comes to who RPs with the actual Main characters, and I'm planning on each Crew member to have a different personality.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
It seems like you have a good idea of your characters. :) The main thing to do now would be to flesh out a setting and have an idea of what the first event in this team's adventure will be. I look forward to seeing this fic when it comes out. :D

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
Oh I guess I should ask you people. Since the guild is a Ship I wanted the main character to be a Water Type and I was thinking of a Water Starter, but I'm not sure which one. Which one would you like to see?

King!

better
Years
REally, any of them besides Mudkip, but a Totodile ot Squirtle would be ideal. ^^

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
On second thought starters are so over used , but theres no other viable water pokemon.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Wailmer, Krabby, Corpish, Horsea, Buizel, Ludicolo, Slowpoke, those are a bunch of water type pokemon.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
But a good one for a Fan Fic. I'm leaning Krabby or Buizel.

Alternatively, you could be heavily ironic and use Azurill. Sure, it's not a Water-type, but it evolves into one, at least. And the inability to strike fear in the hearts of enemies might be interesting to play with.

You might be able to get the same ironic effect from Slowpoke (just generally... yeah), Corsola (pink!), or Staryu (with the added question of where its orders might be coming from, given the fact that it has no mouth... and also the added humor of the fact that it's genderless).

If you wanted something serious, Corphish is literally the ruffian Pokémon, so that's an idea.

It all depends on whether or not this is going to be a comedy as well as an adventure fic.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
I got like the whole crew thought up I just need a main character. Would Sneasel be too "over done" ?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I got like the whole crew thought up I just need a main character. Would Sneasel be too "over done" ?

Sneasel is a Dark/Ice-type. Weren't you looking for a Water-type to be your main character? O_o

Seriously, though, I'd hate to say it, but generally, the idea of Dark-types as pirates, thieves, and general not-really-upstanding-citizens tends to be overdone, yes. Avoiding both those and the Pokémon usually portrayed as anti-social or otherwise badass (including Squirtle, Treecko, Buizel, Lucario -- basically anyone along those lines as portrayed in the anime) might produce something fresher.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
Yeah I was looking for water, but the crew already had like 2/3. And I am not getting anywhere near Lucario. Way too over done. I would go with Phanpy but he can't really swim, I guess it's narrowing down to Corphish or maybe even Heracross.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
And I am not getting anywhere near Lucario. Way too over done.

...I think I love you.

Seriously, this. So much word. I could go on a rant about Lucario, but that would get me ripped to shreds faster than what would happen if I went on a Twilight board and said the book would have been better if Bella opted for a lesbian threesome with Alice and Rosalie as opposed to the twosome with Edward.

I would go with Phanpy but he can't really swim, I guess it's narrowing down to Corphish or maybe even Heracross.

Because you're looking to avoid Water-types due to an overabundance of Water Pokémon already on your team, I'd say Heracross would definitely be an interesting candidate. Not many people have written about Heracross before, and I can't think of a fan character who actually owned one. It would definitely be something different.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
The only issue I had with Heracross was the fact he doesn't evolve but I can easily look past that, and I do love that pokemon. Thanks for the tips,I guess.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 13, 2009
Even if Heracross can't swim, he can fly a little, so I guess it's fine. But Makuhita can surf. X) Somehow. I don't get that.

Seriously, this. So much word. I could go on a rant about Lucario, but that would get me ripped to shreds faster than what would happen if I went on a Twilight board and said the book would have been better if Bella opted for a lesbian threesome with Alice and Rosalie as opposed to the twosome with Edward.

O_O *changes main character from a Riolu to a Clefairy* Eh, the animal features that he has could be demonstrated with the Pikachu that I plan to introduce soon anyway. He's more mortal that way, anyway, since he won't have spikes. I would have chosen Venonat, but they evolve into Venomoth, which have wings. Clefable, however, have wings that would require magic to fly, so it doesn't matter.

I don't think Twilight would be better if it was lesbian. I think it would be better if Edward was like a vampire enough so that Googling vampires would make sense.

I'd rather touch real people anyway.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Even if Heracross can't swim, he can fly a little, so I guess it's fine.

And even then... lulz, One Piece. It's one of those rare times when someone thought it'd be awesome to make characters with really useful superpowers but obscenely crippling weaknesses. (Which I'm sure could totally be used in a fic like this.)

But Makuhita can surf. X) Somehow. I don't get that.

Oh yes. My guess is magical surfboards.

'Course, if anyone explain how Tauros can Surf, you've got my eternal respect right there.

O_O *changes main character from a Riolu to a Clefairy*

Don't get me wrong. If you've got a reason to use Lucario (or Riolu), go for it. But it just seems like a lot of people tend to use it (or them) because they're cool. >_>

I don't think Twilight would be better if it was lesbian. I think it would be better if Edward was like a vampire enough so that Googling vampires would make sense.

Hey, has anyone actually searched "cold ones" in Google before? Because it's hilarious the things that you actually get from doing that.

Also, this. And you know what else would be cool? If Twilight vampires actually stuck to tradition enough to burst into flames when they contact sunlight. (Yes, that's not part of old, old vampire lore, but neither is sparkling in the sunlight.) I mean, seriously.

Edward: THIS is the skin of a killer.
*FWOOSH*
Bella: ...You're beautiful.
Edward: *running around screaming because he's on fire*

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
One Piece was the main inspiration for the pirate theme, hehe. Anyways I got the crew figured out for the most part and I wanted people to see if they were interesting in the least.

Captain: Kecleon
First Mate: Swellow
Second Mate: Lopunny
Sharpshooters: (As in dealing with seeds and other throwable items) Nuzleaf, Octillery
Navigator: Kirlia
Boatswain (They keep track of the storage.): Munchlax, Sableye
Shipwright: Poliwhirl,Breloom
Doctor: Elekid
Cook: Magby
ABS: (Able Bodied Sailor)Chinchou,Gligar(Secondary Main character), Heracross
Entertainement: Kricketune
Powder Monkey: (Mans the Cannons. SEED Cannons.) Aipom.

Back