• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Hi everyone,

I'm making a hack that i have been working on for months now. I save all my maps in a file once I finished it.
Recently, I finished mapping the entire game, but for some reason when I imported my maps back into the same rom Ive been using(by import i mean replacing most of the firered red maps), once I test out gameplay, the game crashes on me during the intro. My maps are all connected fine. I have not done anything different besides replace the original firered maps in the game. Someone please help, ive worked too hard on my game.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hi everyone,

I'm making a hack that i have been working on for months now. I save all my maps in a file once I finished it.
Recently, I finished mapping the entire game, but for some reason when I imported my maps back into the same rom Ive been using(by import i mean replacing most of the firered red maps), once I test out gameplay, the game crashes on me during the intro. My maps are all connected fine. I have not done anything different besides replace the original firered maps in the game. Someone please help, ive worked too hard on my game.

Sometimes A-map just buggs out and screws up. I hope you made back-ups of the rom, and not just the files. I personally make a back-up to Drop Box everytime I walk away from my computer, or have made the changes I want to make, and then fill out a quick change log. You wouldn't believe how many times all of these back-ups are used to save my butt. Anyways, if you don't have a back-up, try inserting all of the corrupted maps in new slots and relink them up. I mean create a new map banka and completely reinsert them. Most of the time, this fixes the issue.

Jake 53

noob hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2013
Hey guys,

I was editing Pokemon Light Platinum for my own use to make it a little harder (wild pokemon level editing) but now the game freezes every time I get in a battle or try to look at my pokemon. Any ideas for a fix?

P.S. I do have a semi recent back up, but I would like to avoid using it if at all reasonable.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2015
Hi guys, I'm from the Fire Emblem hacking community. I'm currently in the process of writing a fully detailed, comprehensive music hacking tutorial on the Sappy engine which should be applicable to all games that use the Sappy engine including Pokemon. I'm also planning to put a few resources together for Pokemon hackers as well. What's the current status of music hacking here? I've read through a few of the music tutorials and really think you guys could get some benefit out of what I have to show. Do you guys have a native instrument map? From what I've read FireRed seems to be the most popular game to hack? Is there anyone who hacks Ruby/Sapphire still, as well? Just need to know which ROM to tailor my tutorial to. Thanks!

karatekid552

Years
Hi guys, I'm from the Fire Emblem hacking community. I'm currently in the process of writing a fully detailed, comprehensive music hacking tutorial on the Sappy engine which should be applicable to all games that use the Sappy engine including Pokemon. I'm also planning to put a few resources together for Pokemon hackers as well. What's the current status of music hacking here? I've read through a few of the music tutorials and really think you guys could get some benefit out of what I have to show. Do you guys have a native instrument map? From what I've read FireRed seems to be the most popular game to hack? Is there anyone who hacks Ruby/Sapphire still, as well? Just need to know which ROM to tailor my tutorial to. Thanks!

Well, I'm glad to find outsiders joining us to help.:)

I'm not a music hacker, but I do know kind of what is going on. RS is still hacked, but yes, FireRed is more common. (Ruby hackers like PinkParkaGirl get mad when you leave them out, just a warning.:p) For the most part, we do have some very good music hackers. Gogojjtech seems to do a decent job, though he hasn't been hacking for an extreme length of time and I'm sure he would love to learn more. Giradialkia (one of the mods for this section) is a music artist who is learning to insert music. Team Fail does NDS music, though I'm not sure how he is with GBA. The only other one I know is Noosab_Blue (forgive me if I spelled that name wrong) who I know can compose music, but I'm not sure about inserting. If you are looking for music hackers to talk to, I would browse some of the more recent hacks and see who did the music and talk to them.

Most people don't frequent this thread that are really experienced in music hacking, so I'm doing my best to direct you. Thanks for wanting to help!:)

Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2015
So I've recently started hacking Advence-generation Pokémon games and I've learned to script simple events. I would like to know where does the script for the Oak's greeting text is located. I tried to find it with a-text and I decompiled the hexnumber that it gave to me with PKSV but I didn't find any code relating to the Oak's first speech..

karatekid552

Years
So I've recently started hacking Advence-generation Pokémon games and I've learned to script simple events. I would like to know where does the script for the Oak's greeting text is located. I tried to find it with a-text and I decompiled the hexnumber that it gave to me with PKSV but I didn't find any code relating to the Oak's first speech..

The intro is a mix of ASM and scripting. There is no direct and full script associated with it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
I've been looking at tutorials to overwrite Pokemon battle sprites with new ones in Fire Red by tpravetz and Maco. Both are pretty much the same, and I've followed them very carefully. I've managed to get sprites into the game, but they still have their backgrounds attached.

I'm fairly aware of what I'm doing wrong that makes the backgrounds show up but don't know how to correct it. I get a 16 color version of my image in irfanview with the background color and the first color (black) swapped just fine, as the tutorials say. The problem comes in after that, when I go to paste my original image over the one I've played with in irfanview. Pasting it over and saving it puts it back to 256 colors, and as such unlz.gba refuses to accept the file because the image is not indexed. Please help me find what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
First of all, try to use Wichu's advance series. No need to index anymore, it does that for you. There's a tutorial on here that teaches you how to use it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor looks really simple, but there wasn't exactly a lot of room for me to figure out where I was going wrong with it. I can get them to have no backgrounds with it, but the colors are always incorrect once the images are imported. Editing them back to their original states only goes so far, it's impossible to get them back to their original quality from what I see, as what each color correlates to seems to change.

Spoiler:

Abomasnow couldn't even get this far, always ending up looking like some sort of abomination. I assume the program hates the fact his sprite has so much white in it or something.

I was pretty close with the other method with unzl, as the sprites were perfect other than the background.

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor looks really simple, but there wasn't exactly a lot of room for me to figure out where I was going wrong with it. I can get them to have no backgrounds with it, but the colors are always incorrect once the images are imported. Editing them back to their original states only goes so far, it's impossible to get them back to their original quality from what I see, as what each color correlates to seems to change.

Spoiler:

Abomasnow couldn't even get this far, always ending up looking like some sort of abomination. I assume the program hates the fact his sprite has so much white in it or something.

I was pretty close with the other method with unzl, as the sprites were perfect other than the background.

Your sprites appear to have a lot of .jpg artifacts which I'm guessing is making it hard for APSE to synch up your palettes. All sprites in Pokemon games only have 15 colours (plus transparency) but your image's corruption has made it have far more. As a result APSE is trying to reconcile this by using what it assumes are the 15 most common colours and where they should be located in the finished product. But many of those colours shouldn't have existed in the first place, leading to your 'abominations' :P

You're going to have to find another set of sprites for your Pokemon and ensure that they are saved as .png files with no corrupted pixels before you try again. Hopefully it all works out this time around.

If you actually don't have artifacts on your sprites and the corruption is because you uploaded them to the internet then it may be because you haven't clicked 'update palette' and 'synchronise palette' to have your front and backsprites synchronise.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2013
Eeeeeyup. It had to do with having corrupt images. I was trying to index them to try to get them to work or whatever, but the images were just inherently broken. No amount of indexing would change that. I think the problem was the base image being transparent.

But yeah, got it to work, finally. Thanks.

Ace.

Love Yourself
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 29, 2015
can someone tell me what i may be doing wrong?

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
Years
I've just noticed that when I enter a battle, the moves that aren't learned by a Pokémon are displayed as weird characters, namely, letter A's with accents. Have a look:

Pokemon-FireRed_11.png

If anyone has any ideas to fix this, please tell me. It's rather annoying and disgusting to see, hahaha. I was thinking I could edit the font for the attacks, and just erase out those A's, but I don't know the pointer and the method of editing either.

Cheers. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, it appeared that there was a few unknown bytes at the beginning of my repointed attack move table, so I just changed them to the original and its fixed. Just letting people know in case this happens to anyone else (in the unlikely event).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2013
HackMew wrote some code and a template script for taking away pokemon. There is a whole thread for it in R&D if I am not mistaken.

Delete the map script. It is in the header for map 3.0.
I still want oak to take them to the lab but the new location.

karatekid552

Years
I still want oak to take them to the lab but the new location.

Then you need to write a new script or just repoint and rewrite the movements. If oak isn't showing up, then you need to create a nee sprite if you deleted it, or deal with the flags would hide it if it does still exist.

can someone tell me what i may be doing wrong?

Spoiler:

It is reading random bytes as text. If Physo Boost is nit the last move, don't worry about it. If there are moves after it, then you most likely corruped the data that stores attack names.

I've just noticed that when I enter a battle, the moves that aren't learned by a Pokémon are displayed as weird characters, namely, letter A's with accents. Have a look:

Pokemon-FireRed_11.png

If anyone has any ideas to fix this, please tell me. It's rather annoying and disgusting to see, hahaha. I was thinking I could edit the font for the attacks, and just erase out those A's, but I don't know the pointer and the method of editing either.

Cheers. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, it appeared that there was a few unknown bytes at the beginning of my repointed attack move table, so I just changed them to the original and its fixed. Just letting people know in case this happens to anyone else (in the unlikely event).

@ForeverDash- you most likely have a similar issue to this if Phsyco Boost is not the last move created in Gen IiI.

Last edited:

NaudaBase

The real Swampert
Years
Hi everybody :) i'm new so dont hesitate to tell me where to post my question if this is not the right place for it :)
This question might have been asked before, but i did look on the forum, and after quite a few pages seen i didnt find my answer
The problem is that recently i changed from PC to Mac, and while i did not have any problem to find a good PC gba emulator, on mac, it is already much harder to find.
I have tried boycott advance (it has an awfully crappy sound on mac --') and a few VBA versions, but they didnt really convince me at all
Did any of you guys had the same problem as me and found a solution, or am i doomed to play with bad mac emulators :'( ?

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Hi everybody :) i'm new so dont hesitate to tell me where to post my question if this is not the right place for it :)
This question might have been asked before, but i did look on the forum, and after quite a few pages seen i didnt find my answer
The problem is that recently i changed from PC to Mac, and while i did not have any problem to find a good PC gba emulator, on mac, it is already much harder to find.
I have tried boycott advance (it has an awfully crappy sound on mac --') and a few VBA versions, but they didnt really convince me at all
Did any of you guys had the same problem as me and found a solution, or am i doomed to play with bad mac emulators :'( ?

I have a solution just for you. If you have Java, then that's good. Download Java VirtualBox here.

Then go online and search for a Windows OS .iso file, and use the Java VirtualBox tutorial here.

After it's set up, just put VisualBoy on your virtual machine, as if it were your own computer.

I can't give you any more links, because it'd be against the forum rules.

If you have any more questions, you can VM/PM me.

Edit: If you don't want to take up a decent amount of space on your computer for using Windows applications, you could use WINE Compatibility Service or this rather glitchy version of VBA for Mac.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Is it possible to change the old man's backsprite according to gender? Or just multiple switches?

ace_45

gotta love me
Years
I have a question about a rom cheat

I'm trying to get the 1000 exp one ,rare candy,and tm,but i can't find any that works. Could someone help me find the code? i think a master code is needed to right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back