• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone go to anime conventions?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I do! I go to at least one anime convention every year. I like to meet the voice actors behind my favorite characters. I've also met a lot of friends there as well. It's really fun, and the best part about being at anime convention for me too is the cosplaying also. It's just so much fun to dress up as your favorite character. :D This year, I'm kind of stuck between cosplaying as Hani-senpai or Prussia this year. Prussia might be kind of hard to find though, so I think I'll stick with Hani-senpai as planned.

So, what about you? Have you ever been to an anime convention? Did you meet a lot of cool people there? Discuss it anyway you want.

I'm pretty sure this has been asked many times lol.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
Aaaa I wish! There's been so many times were I made plans to go with someone, but they either dropped out or couldn't pay their way so I never went :'c Going by yourself just doesn't sound as fun. I wish any of them took place where I lived and not outside of the city. Otherwise I probably would have dragged myself out of the house for it.

Years
I do! I go to at least one anime convention every year. I like to meet the voice actors behind my favorite characters. I've also met a lot of friends there as well. It's really fun, and the best part about being at anime convention for me too is the cosplaying also. It's just so much fun to dress up as your favorite character. :D This year, I'm kind of stuck between cosplaying as Hani-senpai or Prussia this year. Prussia might be kind of hard to find though, so I think I'll stick with Hani-senpai as planned.

So, what about you? Have you ever been to an anime convention? Did you meet a lot of cool people there? Discuss it anyway you want.

I'm pretty sure this has been asked many times lol.

Go as the Awesome Prussia, hes a legend.

Ive never had chance to go to an anime convention, there aren't many (I know of) where I live and if I suggested it to most of my friends I would probably get funny looks lol.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
I go to Otakon every year. It pretty much always goes up to the 35k cap, and some big name figures fly all the way from Japan to hold panels. Last year I talked to Hayami Saori in person.

Years
I've been to one each of the last 3 years (gradually increasing in size from the small startup con Meta Convention, moving on to AniMinneapolis the next year, and onto Anime Detour last year), and I'll be attending Anime Detour again this year. They have an attendance cap of 3000 due to being in the largest convention hotel in the area, and that the local convention centers are nearly impossible to book enough of to have 5000+ attendees and still have 10 completely isolated panel rooms.

I've gone with the same group each year, and occasionally we do meet some people there, but only ever for the duration of the con.

We generally go for as long as possible each convention day, though, and tend to log 12 hour days down at the convention before crashing back in the room and then heading back for the late-night panels. And now that we're down at the convention hotel this year, we may manage to push that closer to 16 hours, haha.

TL;DR: Yes, I do go to conventions.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Went to my first convention last year at MCM Expo with a friend and got the chance to see Watanabe on a q&a session, as well as get his autograph. Saw some very good cosplays there too (Lots of them were fairy tail) like a Daft Punk one

Went on a Saturday only, but it was a blast and bought some stuff there.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
I've been going to cons on and off since I was 10, but I've been going more frequently the last few years since I've been enjoying them more and more. I frequently go to Armageddon Expo here in Wellington which is more of a pop culture convention. They have 'geddon in 4 other cities with the big one being in Auckland (they had one in Melbourne too but apparently that's not happening anymore), but I don't have much money for travel so I don't go to the other ones aside from the one in this city. I have been cosplaying every year for the past 3ish years at this con, but I'm doing more gaming cosplays this year. Most of my friends who I meet at cons are all in the cosplay community which is really fun, but sucks that I don't get t seem them that much.

Guests are a hit and miss, but it's always been english voice actors (which kinda sucks since I want to see Japanese guests), but we do get to see people like like Brian Beacock, Vic Mignogna and Chris Smith. Since it's a pop culture con, we get to meet other awesome guests like Devon Murray who came when I was 10, Janet Varney who voices Korra in the Legend of Korra and the whole cast of Hobbit since it's NZ (and even if I'm not a huge fan of it xD). These years it feels like they've been putting more prioirty on the Doctor Who/ Supernatural/ Star Trek guests and less on the anime and animation guest so it kinda sucks :s

I also went to Anime Expo when I was visiting LA back in 2012. American cons are so overwhelmingly big compared to the smaller ones here. The fact that it was fully aimed at anime was also pretty amazing. Also got to meet up with Netto Azure there which was fun (Netto we should do it again one day if I ever go back xD)

Reminds me I also regularly meet up with two other PC members (but don't go on much anymore) at Armageddon Expo every year and that's fun too.

Cay

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 11, 2022
My first real con was MikuExpo in LA. It was pretty fun, the live concert was great! Other than that, I've made a tradition of going to SacAnime twice a year. Last time I went, I cosplayed as Eren Jaeger (wow i know so original!!!!) and it was fun attending panels/meeting voice actors. It's always so interesting to see everyone's cosplays and stuffs.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
Well with the recent boom in anime's popularity I have to admit, I'm seeing a lot of cons here and there now.

Starting at 2012, a yearly event called the Anime Festival Asia Indonesia (AFAID) is held here, where we have anime showcasings and music stars from Japan come to have an AniSong concert.

And then there's the Comic Frontier (or, ComiFuro), which so far has only been held 5 times, and held usually twice a year unless the holidays start to clash. This was the convention when my circle made our debut last week at the 24th of January.

There's also a bunch of other events, but naming them all is kind of hard haha.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
Years
I went to Fanexpo in toronto twice. I went this summer with a friend... because a Starcraft II tournament was being held inside the convention at the sametime. So we went for the games more than the anime con :P

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 24, 2020
I really want to attend such activities, but i'm going through an investment period so I have to keep my luxury expenses on the waaaay low end.

Years
I had the chance to go to one years ago, but due to monetary concerns and also slacking off on getting the necessary things done...I ended up backing out. Sigh. I slightly regret doing that since I had the chance to meet people there, but whatever.

I wouldn't mind ever going to one just to check it out, but. Money. Alas. Don't want to spend all that money just for one.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
I really want to attend such activities, but i'm going through an investment period so I have to keep my luxury expenses on the waaaay low end.

I had the chance to go to one years ago, but due to monetary concerns and also slacking off on getting the necessary things done...I ended up backing out. Sigh. I slightly regret doing that since I had the chance to meet people there, but whatever.

I wouldn't mind ever going to one just to check it out, but. Money. Alas. Don't want to spend all that money just for one.

Yeah I've always thought Cons are kind of over priced, especially since you still have to spend more money when you get inside if you want anything :(

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 24, 2020
Yeah I've always thought Cons are kind of over priced, especially since you still have to spend more money when you get inside if you want anything :(

I wouldn't say they're overpriced. I get a great deal of value out of visiting them. (The setting overall is just so pleasant, usually.)

But they also fall into the category of things I simply cannot afford atm.

Back