• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
This is how I hope it'll end up:

Chespin: Grass/??? with a French theme (to follow Empoleon and Serperior)
Fennekin: Fire/Rock with an Egyptian sphinx theme
Froakie: Water/Dragon with a old wise man theme

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I personally think Froakie looks really cool, but, I have a major problem with this pokemon. In the real world, I can only think of 2 animals that go through Pokemon styled changes, which are, caterpillars/butterflys and tadpoles/frogs.

So, they have basically taken the closest thing that the real world has to pokemon evolving, and gotten rid of it, he is going from a frog, to a bigger frog to a bigger frog. this is especially dumb as we have 2 other frog pokemon that started as tadpoles.

In that logic, why don't they just take this generations Caterpie and have it be a little butterfly the evolves into a bigger butterfly two times.

Eh, true, but like you pointed out - Pokemon don't really develop the same way real animals do.

This is how I hope it'll end up:

Chespin: Grass/??? with a French theme (to follow Empoleon and Serperior)
Fennekin: Fire/Rock with an Egyptian sphinx theme
Froakie: Water/Dragon with a old wise man theme

Dragon is too overpowered for a starter subtype. In addition to the whole, Dragons are strong thing,
Dragons resist the three starter types. Pair it with your water starter and it's not weak to grass, pair it with your grass starter and its not weak to fire, and pair it with your fire starter and its not weak to water.

Besides, dragon? How does that even make sense, stylistically or symbolically?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Lol. I love that picture. I'm with Blaziken (who happened to just be my first starter...), Fennekin better not be Fire/Fighting!
Also It'll be interesting if Fennekin's evolution does turn into Fire/Psychic as it'll mean the only none Fire/Fighting Starters (not counting the pure Typlosion) are strong against Fighting (Charzard with Flying and Fennekin's evo with Psychic...). It'll also make Fennekin the strongest out of the six!

The only problem is that Psychic was formerly a special-based type, so they might as well use Ghost for its typing instead due to it being formerly physical-based like Fighting.

Moltres Rider

Banned
Years
why is everyone assuming/complaining that Fenneking will evolve into Fire/Fighting

I keep seeing all over the internet pictures, memes, comments, posts, artwork, etc etc etc etc about Fenneking evolving to be a Fire/Fighting type

#1. where are they basing that assumption from?

#2. why is there so much gripe about it?

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
Years
People are just tired of the Fire/Fighting combination having been used for the past 3 generations, and thus complaining about lack of originality... They were complaining when Infernape and Emboar were released, and they're doing just that again. Most of the memes and fancreations come from the people who a)wouldn't mind a Fire/Fighting Type or b) are laughing with the whole riot.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Most likely because the last 3 gens evolved into fire/fighting and dont think much will be different. I personally dont like it. They defense is weak AND they are slow AF. I personally like to see them stay straight fire or counter their weakness make them Fire/Water. That be wicked

Sirfetch’d

I haven't seen anybody predicting it to be fire/fight. And people are complaining because we are sick of fire/fight.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
There are several reasons why we had Fire/Fighting types in a row:

1. Back in Gen 1, when you choose Charmander as your starter, then you're in trouble facing Brock and Misty. GF wants to make sure that the Fire starter had a secondary type that allows them to handle the first few gyms, most of them associated with Rock types.

2. The introduction to Stealth Rock in Gen IV meant that GF will have to make sure the Fire starter can't suffer from usage in single battles compared to the Grass and Water starters, and they certainly did not want to use a Ground or Steel since the former gives it a 4x Water weakness, which doesn't do well with that the fact that Fire starters traditionally have sub-par defenses, and the latter makes little sense.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
I think fennekin is fire dark
chespin grass fight
and froakie water psychic

ergoitspsychic_zps4a915efd.jpg

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I'm late to this conversation, but I love Fennekin! He's so cute, and despite reminding me of Kyubei from Madoka Magica and Vulpix, I think he's the best of the starter group. Chespin is alright, but like some have said, it's pose and design seems to be recycled, notably from Oshawott/Turtwig, but it's still pretty cool. Froakie is the worst looking starter since Torchic, in my opinion. It's design is just... off. So estranged.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 31, 2016
Well, I ALWAYS pick the water starter, and until now I thought they always had the best design....Froakie looks a little too comical to be a real Pokemon. I'm siding with Chespin this Gen.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Chespin is alright, but like some have said, it's pose and design seems to be recycled, notably from Oshawott/Turtwig, but it's still pretty cool.

[...]

Froakie is the worst looking starter since Torchic, in my opinion. It's design is just... off. So estranged.

Did you just insult Torchic, the best starter ever, and Froakie, which is pretty alright, while you defend Chespin, the worst Pokemon ever?

Many people are comparing Chespin to Oshawott, and you're comparing it to Turtwig, but I don't see it...

I'm glad you seem to like it, though. Chespin is not my cup of tea (to put it nicely) but if people seem to like it, Gamefreak did a good job.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 13, 2021
I am waiting for the next evolutions to be revealed, but pretty sure I will be choosing Fennekin and Froakie. I generally pick the Fire and Water starter Pokemon when I play.

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
Eh, true, but like you pointed out - Pokemon don't really develop the same way real animals do.

Dragon is too overpowered for a starter subtype. In addition to the whole, Dragons are strong thing,
Dragons resist the three starter types. Pair it with your water starter and it's not weak to grass, pair it with your grass starter and its not weak to fire, and pair it with your fire starter and its not weak to water.

Besides, dragon? How does that even make sense, stylistically or symbolically?

See, that would be a legit theory if Nintendo hasn't already paired up types in the starter trio that made them more resistant to their supposed weakness. For example, Torterra, being a Grass/Ground type is more resistant to Fire attacks than a pure Grass type. Also, Empoleon, being part Steel type is more resistant to Grass attacks than a pure Water type.

And I've seen dragons that are based on toads in fiction before. I think an amphibian becoming a dragon type is about as understandable as a seahorse (Kingdra) or an ant (Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon).

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
And I've seen dragons that are based on toads in fiction before. I think an amphibian becoming a dragon type is about as understandable as a seahorse (Kingdra) or an ant (Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon).

Well, you're taking the Horsea and the Trapinch lines out of context, though. Kingdra is based off of a leafy seadragon... does that ring a bell? And leafy seahorses are in the Syngnathidae, which also includes seahorses, so Horsea evolving into a Dragon type makes absolute perfect sense. It's not like dragons are a real animal, so Gamefreak has the artistic license to say which real-world animals qualify as dragons. Besides, its name is the leafy seadragon.

And Trapinch is designed to represent the antlion. I'm not sure if antlions are related to dragonflies, but adult antlions sort of look like dragonflies—again, dragonflies. 'Dragon' is in the freaking name.

I'm not saying I oppose Froakie becoming part Dragon, though. I think it'd be pretty cool, actually.

Flydro

doobz
Years
It's possible, but highly unlikely that Froakie would evolve into a Water/Dragon type. In the pokemon world Dragon pokemon are considered mythical, powerful and very rare so you probably wouldn't find that in a starter pokemon. Froakie is my first pick of the three anyway so I'm just hoping he evolves into anything but a fat squatty toad.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Dragon would be way too strong for a starter. :( They missed their chance on Serperior being a dragon, it's too late to go back on that and make Froakie into one, GF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back