• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen The Elite Four

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Gen 5's method was much better in my opinion. I liked having the choice of who I wanted to face when. The old method wasn't bad, though, I just believe it was too linear for my liking.

ya I liked that too. I think it'll probably occur again, because why else make it that way in gen 5 WITH positive feedback? uh, grammar, but yeah I see it returning in this generation because why not.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I definitely liked generation five's method, although the static level thing was kind of iffy to me. I mean, I guess it makes sense so that all four of them are considered equal, while the champion is on his/her own level, but I don't really like that. I'd rather have the top five trainers be ranked, not have four tied for second and then a champion. Keep the choice mechanic, but give us some level curving.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
If I may... I'm a teenager, and me and my little brother both play pokemon very seriously. My brother does know about ev's, and he actually uses them more than I do. I don't think you guys who are talking about ev's and how kids don't recognize them realize this, in my experience with my brother and his friends, kids do battle competitively and do care about stats and ev's. just saying.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
Generation 5's was cool I guess because it was different but in all honesty the other system was far far superior, it's the Pokemon League so I want there to be suspense and a challenge and Generation 5's method voided that substantially. I'm confident that the old system will come back though. One type of middle ground that might be cool is to actually have an Elite Six with the 1st and 4th member static but the 2nd and 3rd depend on what door you enter after the 1st and 2nd Elites, a la Norman's gym, I think this would be pretty cool actually. Also Elite predictions:

1st-Water
2nd-Fire
3rd-Rock
4th-New Type xdddd

Guy

just a guy
Years
I hadn't given it that much thought, but I wouldn't mind if the Elite 4 was presented in Gen 6 the same way as in Gen 5, although to be honest I'd be equally fine with it if it went back to the 'standard' way, 4 in a row. Types aside, if you were high enough level to beat one Elite 4 member, you were high enough to beat them all (in Gen 5)- which is fine! Though I'm also fine with battling through 4 trainers, each tougher than the next. I remember the first time I took on the League in Ruby and how terrified I was when he sent out his level 55 Salamence. Somehow, I just think there's a greater sense of achievement when you beat the 4 when they're organised in a linear way- but that's just me.
The more I think about it, the more I have to agree. While I liked the opportunity of choosing the order in which we battled the Elite 4 of Gen V, the feeling of achievement after beating each one just wasn't there. Sure, the older system was more linear, but you could feel the excitement level rising as each one got stronger and you got closer to the Champion's doors.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
The more I think about it, the more I have to agree. While I liked the opportunity of choosing the order in which we battled the Elite 4 of Gen V, the feeling of achievement after beating each one just wasn't there. Sure, the older system was more linear, but you could feel the excitement level rising as each one got stronger and you got closer to the Champion's doors.

I agree completely. I liked the old Elite Four better because it was more exciting. The anticipation rose with every battle and it felt like there was no turning back as you moved forward.

I really did not like the way the Elite Four was set up in BW. I would prefer if they went back to the old style in the new games.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I definitely liked generation five's method, although the static level thing was kind of iffy to me. I mean, I guess it makes sense so that all four of them are considered equal, while the champion is on his/her own level, but I don't really like that. I'd rather have the top five trainers be ranked, not have four tied for second and then a champion. Keep the choice mechanic, but give us some level curving.

So pretty much everyone agrees with that =P Which I definitely still support, since I thought having the Elite 4 as just one level cap silly. It really took all the challenge out of fighting them.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
I agree completely. I liked the old Elite Four better because it was more exciting. The anticipation rose with every battle and it felt like there was no turning back as you moved forward.

I really did not like the way the Elite Four was set up in BW. I would prefer if they went back to the old style in the new games.

I think I'd have to agree with you there. I liked being able to choose the order of who I battled in Gen V, but the old method always seemed a lot more intense. Like you said, it definitely had more of that 'no turning back now' feeling that made it feel like you're in the big leagues. Gen V's league lacked that and I think that's why it had more of an empty feeling to me.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
Personally, I liked Generation 5's Elite 4 set up, cause honestly the old system felt kind of frustrating, I liked being able to choose, I myself still felt that feeling of achievement after beating each one even if I could choose which to go after, I want gen 5's system to stay, it was still intense but got rid of the frustration the old system brought.

Cassiopeiia

Floating
Years
I'd actually like them to completely overhaul the whole Pokémon League. To me it has grown terribly stale, especially the Gyms.
Why are they even called Gyms, it's so uncool.

I'd still like there to be a number of trials you have to bypass before you're invited to challenge some kind of Pokémon Champion. It's a game mechanic that works, and it also functions as a checkpoint-system for our reference throughout the journey. But they could make it infinitely more interesting if they scrapped the whole organized-sports image that I associate with the Gyms and the Elite Four. Instead there should be a number (6?) of Pokémon Masters living solitarily in hard-to-reach places throughout the region, only accompanied by their Pokémon and nature. They should all have a full team of six Pokémon and be awesome. It wouldn't hurt if you encountered some of them beforehand either, giving their character some depth. After you have beaten them all you are invited, per letter, to face the Pokémon Champion in his/her personal sanctuary. My point is that they could make each of these trials unique, interesting and exciting if they would only deviate a little from the formula they've been using for each Pokémon game up to this day. And the changes would be mostly aesthetical really.

In addition to this there should be a huge festival and Pokémon Championship in which you fight in knockout tournaments. Here you would encounter mostly new trainers, but also trainers relevant to the story, as well as trainers from previous installments of Pokémon; Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, rivals etc. You know, this festival is the real deal, everyone wants to take part. Of course, you would face a new batch of trainers each time you enter, preventing it from getting boring and predictable, and making leveling Pokémon late-game more exciting.
The Battle Frontier could be even another thing, or perhaps part of this festival.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Although that all sounds like an awesome addition and revamp, I really don't see any sort of revamp of the system in the foreseeable future. For starters, changing the entire basis of you you enter the Pokémon League from all regions past probably wouldn't hold up to standards logistically in the Pokémon World. Although I think some things definitely could use some more depth, I don't think changing the entire layout of the games is really practical.

Cassiopeiia

Floating
Years
Although that all sounds like an awesome addition and revamp, I really don't see any sort of revamp of the system in the foreseeable future. For starters, changing the entire basis of you you enter the Pokémon League from all regions past probably wouldn't hold up to standards logistically in the Pokémon World. Although I think some things definitely could use some more depth, I don't think changing the entire layout of the games is really practical.

You definitely have a point, and I don't really expect them to do any of this either. I just got a little carried away, rambling on about my personal fantasy for the future of Pokémon. :3

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
I want the elite 4 to not be type specific

I want the elite for to be mixed types, with perfect EVs movesets natures & held items

Same with the champion

So that when I get past them I feel like I've accomplished something. Cause right now it's just a damn joke.

blue

gucci
Years
Having set types for the Elite Four makes it all that little easier to defeat them, it would be interesting to have a mixture of all types so that every ground is covered and more tactical planning is required.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I want the elite 4 to not be type specific

I want the elite for to be mixed types, with perfect EVs movesets natures & held items

So that when I get past them I feel like I've accomplished something. Cause right now it's just a damn joke.

I definitely agree with this, as the Elite 4 doesn't seem like thaaaat much of a challenge, at least imo. Especially in B/W, i don't get why they would give them only 4 pokes each...
But i don't think they would make them all non type specific, as that would be too much of a change. I guess they could make them 2 typed at least, so that one type can cover the other type's weakness(es)...that would make it more interesting at least.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I agree with it being at least two types rather than one. Half of their team can be one type, and the other half is radically different. Also they're signature Pokemon can be both of those types.

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
I definitely agree with this, as the Elite 4 doesn't seem like thaaaat much of a challenge, at least imo. Especially in B/W, i don't get why they would give them only 4 pokes each...
But i don't think they would make them all non type specific, as that would be too much of a change. I guess they could make them 2 typed at least, so that one type can cover the other type's weakness(es)...that would make it more interesting at least.

Good ideas there

They absolutely should have a full team of 6 yes, it's astounding that they don't as it is lol

And then yeah AT LEAST 2 types. I still think they should come across as legitimate trainers with a full set of 6 different pokemon but yeah at least 2 kinds would be an improvement.

Cause they're the "elite four" realistically all a trainer would ever be is a chump using all 1 type.

It could work if they had weather based teams for the elite four

Like maybe

Elite Four #1 : Sandstorm team :
Tyranitar, Excadrill, Lucario, Empoleon, Steelix, Garchomp

Elite Four #2 : Drought team :
Ninetales, Venusaur, Rhypherior, Tangrowth, Exeggutor, Charizard

Elite Four #3 : Rain team :
Politoed, Kingdra, Ludicolo, Jolteon, Bronzong, Ferrothorn

Elite Four #4 : Hail team :
Abomasnow, Weavile, Mamoswine, Cloyster, Jellicent, Reniculus

Champion : Overpowered legendary squad
Arceus (Fire), Rayquaza, Mewtwo (Awakened/Mewthree), Genesect (Shock drive), Kyurem, Giratina

All 5 of these teams they would equip with good held items, ideal natures & EVs, and great movesets with surprise coverage moves included. Also the ideal abilities to capitalize on the weathers and whatnot.

Some members of those weather teams might not make sense at 1st glance, but they do if you think about it for a minute :D

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I do actually like the weather theme, although the Champion is a little ridiculous. The Champion wouldn't ever have the god of Pokémon on their team, let alone legendaries that typical are considered to be "there's only one of these", especially since you're the one that's supposed to go out and capture them =P

blue

gucci
Years
I do think if there was a weather themed Elite Four, people would immediately jump to the RS Remake hints.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I like the idea of having a weather themed pokeleague, but i think this is pretty unlikely.
After all Pokemon is primarily designed for kids, not competitive players, and having them change the whole concept of the league doesn't seem like something would do.

Back