• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Add New Pokemon In 15 Easy Steps!

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2017
this is a GREAT tutorial! very clear! i just had two problems witht he programs and i was wondering if you knew what to do about them.

first, when i try to open Poke Edit Pro, this message comes up:
"Component 'comdlg32.ocz' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"
i really don't knwo what that means, i was hoping you could help with that.

also, when i try importing my sprite onto unZL, it says it isnt indexed :s. have no clue what its talking about. if you could help me out id REALLY appreaciate it :D. thanks.

tpravetz

... doesn't exist.
Years
this is a GREAT tutorial! very clear! i just had two problems witht he programs and i was wondering if you knew what to do about them.

"Component 'comdlg32.ocz' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

also, when i try importing my sprite onto unZL, it says it isnt indexed :s. have no clue what its talking about. if you could help me out id REALLY appreaciate it :D. thanks.

I'm glad you find this tutorial useful! :)

With the first error, I don't know what is wrong. I'd try to find a different place to download it...

And when you save your picture with InfranVeiw, does it ask you to choose the transparent colour? Because you don't want to. Deselect the button that says "Save transparent colour" in the little window that say "PNG/PNM/ICO save options."

Tell me if this is the problem. If not, I'll look into it.

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2017
Yeah i figured out the second problem:p. i was just being stupid, it was so obvioud.

but the Poke Edit Pro still ain't working. i also tried YAPE and tried getting it from several different websites but i still always get the same message:s. anyways, if you dont know thats fine, thanks anyways.

Years

Yeah i figured out the second problem:p. i was just being stupid, it was so obvioud.

but the Poke Edit Pro still ain't working. i also tried YAPE and tried getting it from several different websites but i still always get the same message:s. anyways, if you dont know thats fine, thanks anyways.

The answer to the first problem is simple: You don't have 'comdlg32.ocz'. Search the net and download it if you find it. I'm not sure where you must place it though, you might wanna search for that too. Google is your best friend.

tpravetz

... doesn't exist.
Years
The answer to the first problem is simple: You don't have 'comdlg32.ocz'. Search the net and download it if you find it. I'm not sure where you must place it though, you might wanna search for that too. Google is your best friend.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me like it should be placed in the 'sytem 32' file... But I'm not sure. Better look it up, because 'system 32' is one you really want to mess with...

saison

Black Knight of Dusk
Years
Hm, this seems to be a very well put together tutorial and it seems that it should work fine, but I guess I just have that bad luck >.>

I'm replacing Bulbasaur with Turtwig and I followed all of your steps, but when I go to choose him as one of my starter Pokemon... I'd show with Imageshack, but it's getting all weird on me right now : (

Anyways, that's what it looks like. Any idea why?
l l
--
\/

Last edited:

Late

Pokémon Artist
Years
I had same problem about 4 days ago. My Turtwig messed up because I first made it and imported it into the game but I didn't like it so I fixed it a little and imported it again and it was messed up and it messed my game... So I just took a new rom to hack and I imported it only once and it works.

I have already Turtwig and Grotle, I messed up with Torterra (first it got black Torterra, then I tried to fix it and my game was messed up again). So, I'm going to put Torterra to my game (again..).

Years
Hm, this seems to be a very well put together tutorial and it seems that it should work fine, but I guess I just have that bad luck >.>

I'm replacing Bulbasaur with Turtwig and I followed all of your steps, but when I go to choose him as one of my starter Pokemon... I'd show with Imageshack, but it's getting all weird on me right now : (

Anyways, that's what it looks like. Any idea why?
l l
--
\/

I had same problem about 4 days ago. My Turtwig messed up because I first made it and imported it into the game but I didn't like it so I fixed it a little and imported it again and it was messed up and it messed my game... So I just took a new rom to hack and I imported it only once and it works.

I have already Turtwig and Grotle, I messed up with Torterra (first it got black Torterra, then I tried to fix it and my game was messed up again). So, I'm going to put Torterra to my game (again..).

The sprites you are trying to import could be too big. Import the new sprite somewhere where you have free space (i.e. 0x800000 or above), and use Poke Edit Pro to change the offset to that one.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I'm not sure, but it seems to me like it should be placed in the 'sytem 32' file... But I'm not sure. Better look it up, because 'system 32' is one you really want to mess with...

Yes, any files you get, error files at best, can be placed in either System32, OR the folder where the program is.

saison

Black Knight of Dusk
Years
The sprites you are trying to import could be too big. Import the new sprite somewhere where you have free space (i.e. 0x800000 or above), and use Poke Edit Pro to change the offset to that one.

Okay, so should I check the ROM with a hex editor to look for free space? Because I don't exactly understand how the FSF is supposed to find free space, or if it even DOES find it.

Edit: Okay, I found out that the free space starts at 00734820.

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Okay, so should I check the ROM with a hex editor to look for free space? Because I don't exactly understand how the FSF is supposed to find free space, or if it even DOES find it.

Edit: Okay, I found out that the free space starts at 00734820.

Yes, that is free space...
But just to clarify, FSF DOES find free space.
You just gotta tell it to find a large amount to find a good dynamic offset...
In any case, that offset should be free, but just to be sure, why not start at 0x740000.
I usually say start at 0x800000, since it is the absolute safest spot to start but this shouldn't change much...

saison

Black Knight of Dusk
Years
Okay, to be COMPLETELY safe. How far away from the first completely empty offset would I have to go to not accidentally overwrite the image's space that I will be importing?

I understand that one block of space is for the image, and the other is for it's palette, so as an estimate, how far from one offset would I have to go to be completely sure that the next offset I will use is going to be empty?

If it helps, the size of the image I'm using is 604kb.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Okay, to be COMPLETELY safe. How far away from the first completely empty offset would I have to go to not accidentally overwrite the image's space that I will be importing?

I understand that one block of space is for the image, and the other is for it's palette, so as an estimate, how far from one offset would I have to go to be completely sure that the next offset I will use is going to be empty?

If it helps, the size of the image I'm using is 604kb.

Well, try inserting where I told you, but make a backup first, then go in, check if it was inserted or not, find the end of it, and you'll know.

Years
Help please

Thanks alot this really helped me. I have one question though. Everything worked great except in game the background color is still there and nothing i do makes it go away. i did everything exectly how you said to but the background color won't go away. If you know how to fix this please help. Thank you in advance. If someone has already asked this I didn't see, and plus I'm new here.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
I tried the tut and when ever I add a sprite it ether dosen't change or it ends up distort
help?

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I tried the tut and when ever I add a sprite it ether dosen't change or it ends up distort
help?

thats an easy question to answer. you probably didn't give the sprite enough free space to work with. try inserting ur sprite again with the number of bytes needed.

Back