• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
My Map:
Map Name: (City name here) City
Game: Emerald
Comments: Here's another map in my Laroth project. The inspiration was sorta Eterna City... But anyways, I will probably redo this map sometime soon, but I would like some criticism to know what to do better next time. Thanks! :D
Map:
Spoiler:

Disclaimer: I am in no way a professional map reviewer.

Personally I'm finding a little cramped, maybe widen it by 2 or 4 tiles. Also the two houses on the bottom seem off, maybe have something in the bottom one?
and the small trees at the top. Haven't maped with r/s/e really, so wouldn't they mess with the borders, same concern with the bottom.
But otherwise really good map, maybe loose 4 flowers, and add some flower pots by a house like a small garden. I like it, its a nice quiet town.

6.3/10

This is a map I made recently, it is essentially a Pokepark however I have yet to add bins and benches but the basis is there, there is a lookout point in the northern section for looking out over the routes around.

Spoiler:

Another Map I've made, a Town surrounded by a large Mountain, the town flourishes on the resources only found in the secluded area
Spoiler:

The first map, theres two maps that arn't even separated by a full block, thats off. Too many fountains. But it looks quaint, and peacefull.

So 7/10.

The second one, I love it but fix the cave entrance on the bottom.

8.5/10

Ok So I decided to add a map of my own then.

Map Name: Breezefall Town
Map Base: Firered
Comments: Ok I haven't mapped in a long time. Starter town for a hack I might be trying out, but mainly to see if I can map still. Here we-a go!
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
@CountryEmo

The Town itself so far looks pretty Nintendo stylized however due to your mention of the unsurfable water and the tutorial Grass, I am intrigued as to where you may decide to go with this, I mean could there be an event in the game which allows to you surf that water getting you too the pokemon league or maybe it dries up. The tutorial Grass I think is a good Idea but I recommend you seal it off and have an entrance vai the Pokemon Lab. Other than that the map seems pretty well organized except for the flowers which don't really fit the houses.

7.5/10

Ok since this called Map Rating/Review Thread here is a Region Map

It's of a Gen IV Region, no idea what the name or any of that would be but It's just an idea, since I've noticed lately a lot of Pokemon Games, originals and hacks have had very linear paths, this one changes that by having 22 Towns/Cities.

Name: Region 22
Game: D/P/Pt
Credit: Houndoomed
Spoiler:

Ok and here's Johto at the same time set as the Kanto Map
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Neti

Inactive
Years
I really like the Map it's nice with the variety of Trees instead of one or two I like it too because it's like you're passing through a Route on the way to the next town and there's a place to stop on your way :P

Here's my Map:

Map Name: Genesis Town
Rom Base: FireRed

jpfj.png

There are blank parts but when you are playing the game you can't see them :P

Just thought I'd go back to Pokecommunity to see what people are doing here now a days.
It's been almost 5 years since I was active, I come back, check the map rating thread and find this beautiful piece of art. Great to see there's still people with skill out there :)

Think I will let my girlfriend play some Legend of Fenju when she comes over after work :D

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
game:fire red
map name:route 1 (this is th second part of route 1 with the grass)
map:
15wec07.png

While I like the tiles on this map I find it is too cramped, there needs to be more width on the path through the route, side segments can be 1 block wide/long but not the main section.

6.9/10

Here's something uncommon, A Water Route!

Crossing past the Crystal Mountains your player must traverse the Sapphire River, this is the mid-section there is a northern and southern section.
Spoiler:

Neti

Inactive
Years

Crossing past the Crystal Mountains your player must traverse the Sapphire River, this is the mid-section there is a northern and southern section.
Spoiler:

First of all a little disclaimer: I haven't been rating maps for years, so I'll just let you know what I think about it but not give you a rating.

You're right about the fact that this thread doesn't see water routes very often. Also, most water routes go across the ocean and are blocked with loads of rocks which can sometimes look pretty stupid. But since yours is a river it is bordered with land - actually I have to say I haven't seen this type of route ever before and never tried making one on my own, but I really like the idea to not just cross a river on a route, but the river actually being the route. +1 for that.

Now for the things I think you can improve on:

It might have something to do with your region, but why is there only mountain to the sides of the river? A river is usually a place with a lot of water and that causes plants to grow. You might want to add some patches of grass and trees.

Then there's the trees which grow on the small island... this usually happens in swamps, not rivers (espacially not when there's not a single other plant around). For my opinion these trees look a bit out of place due to the absence of other plants.

All in all you might want to add some rocks in the water and on the mountains. You have a lot of room left to make your map more detailed.

And the last thing: I kind of dislike the pallette of the house. But that's just my opinion ;)

demondismon

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
While I like the tiles on this map I find it is too cramped, there needs to be more width on the path through the route, side segments can be 1 block wide/long but not the main section.

6.9/10

Spoiler:
this map is very unique its rare to see maps that are mainly water here, but this map is not just water like most it's a river and you have to fallow the river to get to a place, the colors for the moutian is a little odd, and the colors of the random house is a little bit off but other then that this is a very good map 7/10

map name:route 1 (second part(after edit))
game: fire red
map:
Spoiler:

please tell me what you think of the map before and after edit

Neti

Inactive
Years
this map is very unique its rare to see maps that are mainly water here, but this map is not just water like most it's a river and you have to fallow the river to get to a place, the colors for the moutian is a little odd, and the colors of the random house is a little bit off but other then that this is a very good map 7/10

map name:route 1 (second part(after edit))
map:
Spoiler:

please tell me what you think of the map before and after edit

Hi there,
it's nice to see how you improved your map. I didn't rate the old version, but I've read a rating in which you were told that there's not enough space to walk. Obviously, you've improved on that (even though the space between the trees is still kind of tight, but it's ok I think).

What I really like about your map is the variety of trees which makes your map feel very natural. The design of the mountains and the rocky area on the top right look pretty good as well (even though I'm not sure if the player will ever get to see the rocky area...).
Also you're using different tiles for the tall grass - I like that.

One last thing you can improve on: Most of the trees are perfectly aligned in a grid-like pattern. The variety of trees makes this a really small issue, but I think it might look better if the trees were a little more randomly placed.

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
Serperion said:
Name: Region 22
Game: D/P/Pt
Credit: Houndoomed
Spoiler:

Well, you don't see many world maps on this thread, so I'm glad this is here!

First things first, The map seems a bit too...big?...but that really is irrelevant. I do get what you meant by most maps being linear, so that's a good point for this map. The peninsulas and islands really do make the map come to life, although the centre of the map is kind of bland. Maybe you could add rivers, bodies of water or break up the one long mountain area?

Overall, good map. And, it is quite obvious that you put a lot of work into this, so props to you! 7.8/10

Map: Laroth Region
Style: D/P/Pt
Credits: Houndoomed/ Paintbrush (Sometimes I wish I didn't have a Mac..)
Comments: PLEASE NOTE: I made this at midnight as a practice for mapping (although I eventually fell in love with the region... -_-' ), so I KNOW that there are MANY screw-ups and things that should not be there. I just want a review of the map IN GENERAL, because I will eventually make a final product of the region, without the errors. So, PLEASE DO NOT hate on those pesky little things. Thanks!

Spoiler:

(The server was down when I tried to upload this, so I had to redo the whole review :( :( :( )

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Comments: PLEASE NOTE: I made this at midnight as a practice for mapping (although I eventually fell in love with the region... -_-' ), so I KNOW that there are MANY screw-ups and things that should not be there. I just want a review of the map IN GENERAL, because I will eventually make a final product of the region, without the errors. So, PLEASE DO NOT hate on those pesky little things. Thanks!

Spoiler:

(The server was down when I tried to upload this, so I had to redo the whole review :( :( :( )
Not too good at rating region maps but I'll give it a go.

I really like the look of your map, it looks really interesting to travel in. The main complaint I have is that there are way too many dungeons (Those green tiles are dungeons right?). There's at least one in almost every land route, and when you compare that to other maps the forests/caves/dungeons are spread apart more, and way less common. I imagine it would be very annoying having to travel through a whole cave/forest every single route. Is there any specific place for your starter town? It looks like there aren't that many good options for one, as you can't travel very far in your region without surfing.

Map Name: Maroon City
Game: FireRed BPRE
Spoiler:

I don't like this map very much, it's meant to be a city but I feel that it's not very city-like. :( Any suggestions are welcome.

Neti

Inactive
Years

Spoiler:

Ok, let me have I try on rating a region map ;)
First of all, the previous rating you got already covered one important thing: There's a lot of caves etc.. The amount itsself is not a problem in my eye, but the fact that you HAVE to go through most of them might be a little annoying. But could also have to do with the style of your hack, you have to decide for yourself. But you might want to consider moving some of them to side-routes and make special events in them.

One more thing that might be improved is the shape of the land itsself. In my opinion it's a little to smooth. If you look at real coasts, those are usually edged and stuff. You know what I mean?^^ I can't explain it any better since english is not my mother tongue :p

Now for the good things:
What I really like is the fact that you placed your caves with sense. Now don't get confused because of what I said before :D I mean the caves are on the routes where those routes cross a mountain on the map... That makes a lot of sense, right? Still not everybody takes that in mind...

Also the route layout itsself looks nice to me. Maybe there's some parts where you have a lot of options to get from point A to B, but if you block those paths with people, cut trees, ledges etc then your world won't get too confusing. Because if there's too many routes you can take the player will not know where to proceed.

Spoiler:

I don't like this map very much, it's meant to be a city but I feel that it's not very city-like. :( Any suggestions are welcome.

FIrst of all, I've once written a tutorial where the differences between mapping villages, towns and cities are described (among other things). Unfortunately the images are gone... I would have to reproduce them...
Well, what I wanted to say is that in my eyes your map would be considered a town, not a city. It's medium size, has a lot of space between the buildings, most buildings are not very large. And you have a more or less "straight" path to go through the town, you don't have to wind around a lot of corners.

But for a town, I think your map is good. You might want to explain to us what that building at the top left is? I'm curious ;)
Other than that I like the pond and how the path winds it's way through the town. It's not straight, what makes it look... beautiful. Yup that's the best word to describe it I think :p
I also like the placement and diversity of your bushes and flowers.

Now for the improvements:

Why is the "PC" on the right side of the PC mirrored?^^ You might want to change that.

And then my favorite thing to critisize: Most of your trees are perfectly aligned in a grid-like pattern. You might want to leave some spaces or at least move every second row of trees one block to the side. The connecting-blocks are very easy to make. Maybe my block-editing tut is still online, check my signature. If not... You will find others.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Spoiler:

As much as I will credit you on the overall feeling of the City I don't feel like it should be a city, I mean consider actual Pokemon games, this place has three generic houses and two places of interest, Dewford Town had the same thing essentially so you may want to consider down-grading it to a Town or building bigger, also that water surface seems a bit odd, it is just, it's so Kanto Region, I guess is the term it's not really fitting in with the rest of the scenery and has a very blocky appearance, although it's nothing a little touch-up can't fix.

Overall this map looks pretty good just don't consider it a City at the number of houses.

An edit to my previous map, Region 22, now featuring 3 large landmasses, I divided up the map so it had about 5+ cities on the main Landmasses, also for those wondering the player starts in the Northern-most city on the Eastern Peninsula and works their way down to the Southern-most City, heads north to the city that is almost on its own, the 2x2 with four connectors then to the northern city on the Western one and then head into the Middle Peninsula and goes down the left side and crosses over to the Western Peninsula where they work their way back up to that very northern City, finally they go down to that City on it's own island on the West which is the Pokemon League (That's if you were to aim to go through the region's gym ASAP). Other Towns and Cities which are not on that path feature stuff like; The Pseudo Legendary Pokemon, Safari Zone, Pokemon Contests, etc.

Spoiler:

Neti

Inactive
Years
An edit to my previous map, Region 22, now featuring 3 large landmasses, I divided up the map so it had about 5+ cities on the main Landmasses, also for those wondering the player starts in the Northern-most city on the Eastern Peninsula and works their way down to the Southern-most City, heads north to the city that is almost on its own, the 2x2 with four connectors then to the northern city on the Western one and then head into the Middle Peninsula and goes down the left side and crosses over to the Western Peninsula where they work their way back up to that very northern City, finally they go down to that City on it's own island on the West which is the Pokemon League (That's if you were to aim to go through the region's gym ASAP). Other Towns and Cities which are not on that path feature stuff like; The Pseudo Legendary Pokemon, Safari Zone, Pokemon Contests, etc.

Spoiler:

Man, that's a big region map. Can you even put that into a rom? Just asking :D

Actually I have nothing big to complain about, well done.
Maybe you want to add some caves etc.? Those are usually marked on the region map.

Oh and you might want to remove the swastika on the left :D

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
Serperion said:

Spoiler:

Wow, I really like what you did with it! Even though the first version was great, I'm pretty sure I like this one much better. The river is a nice addition and would make traveling through your region much more interesting. Again, there seems to be a lot of towns and routes, but part of me actually likes that and it could be not a problem depending on the style of your hack (Maybe it's more of an exploration game?). Anyway, again it looks like you put a whole load of effort inot this, so good job! 9.4/10

Re to my map: I guess you could say there are many dungeons, but the only ones you really need to travel through are the three central ones, which are two caves (One which is very small like the Oreburgh gate) and a forest. Most of the others are minor places that you could visit on your own time or that you need to go investigate because of the evil team, strange occurrences, etc.

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
@ Neti and MiniMinum

Thanks for reviewing my map, also thanks Neti I fixed up the quad-route section so it looks significantly less "symbolic", for the mean time I've moved back into some FireRed designs, since I'm going for things out of the ordinary Pokemon Maps, here is a Shanty Desert Town found, wait for it...

Surprise, Surprise in a desert. Anyways as you can see it is in the middle of a passage and there have been recent shady characters passing through, had to edit some buildings to fit in with the colouration.

Game: FR
Name: Shanty Town
Spoiler:

Neti

Inactive
Years
@ Neti and MiniMinum

Thanks for reviewing my map, also thanks Neti I fixed up the quad-route section so it looks significantly less "symbolic", for the mean time I've moved back into some FireRed designs, since I'm going for things out of the ordinary Pokemon Maps, here is a Shanty Desert Town found, wait for it...

Surprise, Surprise in a desert. Anyways as you can see it is in the middle of a passage and there have been recent shady characters passing through, had to edit some buildings to fit in with the colouration.

Spoiler:

Okay, since I've been mapping a whole desert region I feel kind of qualified to rate this :p

So... The main problem probably is the size of the map, which limits your possibilities to create an interesting shape. But that's generally hard to do with such a small map.

Another problem with the map size is the number of houses. There's way too many of them for such a small village in my opinion. Also, they all look the same, try varying the placement of doors and windows.

Another thing that strikes my eyeballs is the complete abscence of decoration. No rocks, no signposts, no plants. And yes, I would consider adding plants in there. Why? When humans live in a desert, then there's usually an oasis in place and that means plants grow there. Of course you shouldn't add huge trees, but some small bushes or maybe palms and cacti (if you add them to your tileset).

demondismon

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
@ Neti and MiniMinum

Spoiler:
i guess ill rate this map
Spoiler:

ok guys i really need your help with this one THIS MAP IS UNFINISHED therefore please keep in mind im posting to see what you guys can tell me of the map so far,and so you guys could give me some ideas on where i could put some thing and some other ideas.
map name: lumanic city
extra:again please pm me some ideas on where i could trow some thing's or pm me some tiles you think i could use to make the map look nicer (of coarse credit will be givin) or just when rating tell me what i could do and where i could add/change some thing's..
map:
Spoiler:

Espeonage

Ninja Espeon
Years
ok guys i really need your help with this one THIS MAP IS UNFINISHED therefore please keep in mind im posting to see what you guys can tell me of the map so far,and so you guys could give me some ideas on where i could put some thing and some other ideas.
extra:again please pm me some ideas on where i could trow some thing's or pm me some tiles you think i could use to make the map look nicer (of coarse credit will be givin) or just when rating tell me what i could do and where i could add/change some thing's..
map:
Spoiler:

Rate:
Spoiler:

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2017
i guess ill rate this map
Spoiler:

map:
Spoiler:

Okay so I know this map is unfinished so I'll give you some pointers.
First off, Get rid of the grass. If you want to have a hidden area or whatnot put it north of the city in a small grove style thing. Doesn't need to be big.
Secondly, rid yourself of those god awful trees. Having so many different styles just makes it seem less realistic. (It also takes up space on your tileset). Try limit yourself to 2 different types of trees. Use the more tropical looking trees elsewhere, maybe on an island. Use the taller trees in a rain forest or an actual forest.
Thirdly, get rid of all the white and use an unused tile to plan your roads out. Remember, villages and towns go with the well trodden path, Citys are planned. They don't need to always be making 90 degree turns but it helps to know your layout so you don't get stuck at a later date.
Fourth, the random rocks make no sense to the left hand side.
Apart from this, the pallets work well together which is more than can be said about other maps, so I'll give it a 5/10, mostly because it's unfinished.

Map Name: Cana City (Cana is a type of orange flower)
Map Game: Pokemon Fire Red with heavy modifications to every pallet.
Comments: This took a hell of a while to get everything inserted and correctly mapped so yeah.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Serperion

The Fallen King
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
Map Name: Cana City (Cana is a type of orange flower)
Map Game: Pokemon Fire Red with heavy modifications to every pallet.
Comments: This took a hell of a while to get everything inserted and correctly mapped so yeah.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

From what I can see this is definetly an industrious city so I'm wondering, why does the gym have no door and why is there no large house we can access, those small ones are... well small. Other than that it looks pretty good

9.5/10

Map Name: Juruan Metropolis
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: This map is Big, like really big, to put it into perspective I had to take 4 individual Snips to get that image kind of big.
Spoiler:

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
Map Name: Juruan Metropolis
Map Game: Fire Red
Comments: This map is Big, like really big, to put it into perspective I had to take 4 individual Snips to get that image kind of big.
Spoiler:

Okay, so let me start off by saying that I truly appreciate the squareness of this map. Other people may discredit you as a mapper for it, but I firmly believe(and I ranted to Countryemo about this a few days ago) that naturalism and squareness has its place, squareness being in cities and such, naturalism being in wild routes and forests. So, with that, let's begin.

One issue bothering me is that you seem to have used the same repeating FRLG grass tile over and over. FRLG come with five different grass tiles, typically, what I do, is block 'em into a 2x2 block(I almost never use the fifth one, because I like even numbers), and then line the first layer of your map like that. It keeps variety within your map.

Next on the list is all the open space. There are two ways to combat this: you can either condense the map in its entirety for the sake of having less space, or you can fill them up with things like flowers and trees. I feel that, with this map in particular, a nice feature to have would be to use the picket-fence tile to give everyone(or most everyone) a backyard. It would make this feel like a much more suburban feeling. The backyards could be filled with any number of things, from ponds to little gardens, or trees. Of course, this would mean expanding the map.

I love the way you made two story houses using the basic house; I have NEVER thought of doing that.

The next issue I have is the repetitive nature of the mountain towards the top, and the bottom one(although this one is done to a considerably smaller degree). The mountain is literally the same pattern repeated over and over. That looks too man-made, and mountains are naturally occurring structures, so while your city should be square, your mountain should not.

Next up is the path and the body of water. I feel, since this seems to be a well-established city considering the amount of houses involved, that you should ditch the dirt road and go ahead and use one of the city paths. There are three to choose from; personally, I would use the brown brick path. That would finish the suburban look. Not only that, but you could stand to make the paths literally ONE tile wider, it'd make a world of a difference, in my opinion. As for the body of water, I feel like you meant this to be a river. In order for this to look proper, I feel you should widen it a liiiittle bit. Maybe by one or two tiles all around.

Lastly, that bush. I get it's supposed to border the city, but I think the white picket fence would be a much better replacement and would compliment the concept of the city much better. Oh, and there's a complete lack of the 1-tile wide, 3-tile tall trees, I feel that would help as well.

I feel that applying these changes would certainly help your map have a much more aesthetically appealing map. Best of luck to you, Serperion.

Final rating: 5/10

Now, for my map

Name: Fordekkin Woods
Game: The Leola Project - Fire Red BPRE 1.0
Credits: None, other than Game Freak.
Comments: This is my first attempt at making a forest, using the Viridian Forest tiles. I feel it came out fine, and I thought it'd be a better idea to include the other trees as well, considering normal forests aren't restricted to one kind of tree. Except for, maybe, the Red Wood Forest. Anywho, tell me where to improve since this is my first attempt using this tileset. I feel I have too much open space, but I know not how to fill it in.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back