• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need advice on building a team

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2016
Hi.

I played through Pearl and now want to play Platinum. My team consisted of Infernape, Mismagius, Roserade, Gyarados and Weavile. (I play single player only, so I can't get trade evolutions.) Unfortunately the game gets really unfair in the end with over-levelled enemies, so I struggled. I don't want to cheat in this play through, so I'm asking for your help.

I wanted to build a team around Torterra as a starter. Only problem is I can't use it against fire due to how slow it is, but ground is a must, because I don't really like water.
I was thinking of including Cherrim and Pachirisu, but I've been advised against the latter. The other pokemon I have an interest in are: Bastiodon, Drapion, Mamoswine and Togekiss.
Pokemon I don't want to use: What I used in my Pearl play through, Lucario, Luxray, Floatzel, Ambipom, ice cream head (mime jr) and any other that looks retarded.

For my play style:
I chose the grass starter in Black and Roserade in Pearl, because it's really great that I can buff for free (in Roserade's case: Jack it up with Growth, when below 50% HP use Giga Drain, then go berserk with Petal dance and no HP lost in the end).
I don't enjoy pokemon that can die in one hit and can kill with one hit too.
I noticed the only way to win against an over powered enemy is to use status moves.

So, what is your suggestion?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
My suggestion is use whatever Pokemon you want to use in your in-game playthrough. I thought Unfezant was awful, but I know someone else really liked using it. Your preferences might be different than someone else's.

Torterra, Bastiodon, Drapion, Mamoswine, Togekiss make a prettty solid team. You will need a Water-type though, for useful coverage since an Elite Four member is a Fire-type user and to make overworld traveling easier.

Unfortunately, the only solution I have against the overlevelled enemies is to level grind. If the trainers are overlevelled, they're supposed to challenge you, and if you're struggling that's really the only option you have because there aren't a couple of Pokemon you can use just to auto-pass by all opponents. I'm kind of confused by your dislike of Pokemon that can die in one hit. I'm pretty sure that there isn't a Pokemon out there that dies 100% of the time when hit by any move at all. I don't know what specific Pokemon you mean by that. If you don't want your Pokemon to die, it's important to have a balanced team so that if you come across an opponent that has super effective moves against your Pokemon, you can switch to a Pokemon that resists those types and can kill the opponent.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2016
I'm kind of confused by your dislike of Pokemon that can die in one hit.(...) I don't know what specific Pokemon you mean by that.

I meant pokémon that are somewhat stronger and at the same time more vulnerable than the average. For example there's Weavile with its 400% Fighting vulnerability and low defense to begin with.

Another pokémon that's vulnerable in itself and not because of element effectiveness is Haxorus. Back when I was playing Black for the first time I got one for my team and failed to find a good use for it since I had a faster pokémon that was only slightly weaker and had more defense. Most of the time Haxorus got beaten pretty quickly by a same level opponent around the end (I think it was the Getsis or N battle.)

You will need a Water-type though, for useful coverage since an Elite Four member is a Fire-type user and to make overworld traveling easier.
Hmm. I could beat Black and Emerald without one and trying to do the same here. The team I used in Black consisted of Serperior, Scolipede, Krookodile, Galvantula and then Haxorus. Only Serperior, Krookodile and Galvantula prooved useful. (Yes, the beginning was pretty hard because of the double Sewaddle before the forest.)

So anyway. What I'm getting at is I replace water with ground because it's more useful and has immunity. Torterra and Mamoswine are both bad against fire though, so I still need to figure out what to use.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2016
Yet to try. Dragons are usually 5 levels away from the starter if their EXP is the same and I don't like that. It's pretty ♥♥♥♥ that the whole game is easy as hell, then requires the player to grind to have a chance. Now take a pokemon that levels slower and the game becomes no fun at all. Speaks of bad design.

Back