• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Santalune Forest vs. Viridian Forest

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
Has anyone ever noticed how much Satalune Forest almost looks like the original Viridian forest? Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing this. It'd be nice to know I'm not the only one that noticed. I could be wrong, but I've played Pokemon Yellow enough in my time to have gotten a fair idea of the layout growing up.

So, your thoughts on this? Feel free to move this to the proper place if it doesn't belong in the ORAS forum. I couldn't figure out if it was better off in Pokemon General or here. :x

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
It was made like that on purpose, cause X/Y were supposed to be some kind of throwback to Gen. I, or something.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I don't remember the specifics of the layouts precisely, but I do recall them being very similar. With such a huge difference in the graphics though, I hardly noticed the similarity the first time around. I was too busy marveling at how amazing the graphics were haha

Years
So Santalune was inspired by Viridian Forest! I remember first entering it and thinking that the way everything looked seemed oddly familiar. It was like a case of deja vu or something. The OP pretty much confirms it ^_^ you can also encounter every Pokemon that you could in Viridian Forest, with some newer ones added as well.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
It was made that way purposely, in fact there are a lot of shout out for the first generation games!

Years
As Sun mentioned, it was intentionally designed with Viridian Forest in mind, along with having wild Pikachu encountered there. Kalos had tons of shoutouts to the Kanto games in general so it's pretty explainable.

Reactions: Sun
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Some would say that it's uncreative, not very original, and so forth, but personally, I like what they did here; I do appreciate the throwback. The only thing I wish they'd done with this area is perhaps add more encounterable Pokémon, haha.

Reactions: Sun
Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Aug 28, 2016
Some would say that it's uncreative, not very original, and so forth, but personally, I like what they did here; I do appreciate the throwback. The only thing I wish they'd done with this area is perhaps add more encounterable Pokémon, haha.

What was the most common Pokemon in Santalune Forest, or just in that forest?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I noticed it almost immediately when I entered the forest! It even has the same Pokémon - Caterpie, Weedle, and Pikachu and the dimensions I think are nearly identical, too.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 24, 2015
I just noticed that today as I have just started my 2nd adventure through Kalos. I knew I couldn't be the only one who thought this haha! good eye

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 10, 2021
After how different Black/White was, it doesn't surprise me that X/Y decided to pull a lot of nostalgic inspiration from previous games. Even the wild Pokemon in the forest are nearly identical to the originals.

Back