• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

4th Gen How did you defeat Cynthia's Garchomp?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
That evil Cynthia. :( She was a nightmare and still an NPC that gets me wary every time I'm up against her. :(

My first ever Pearl team was formed by Empoleon, Staraptor, Mismagius, Roserade, Gastrodon and I forgot the last one. Lol I had to spam her Staraptor's Intimidate Ability with U-Turns to cut down that devil Garchomp's Attack stat. Her Miltotic, Lucario and Spiritomb aren't anywhere better. :/

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
I beat Garchomp with Gardevoir. I bear Spiritomb With Empoleon then switched to Gardevoir as Cynthia threw out Milotic. I put it to sleep then Calm Mind boosted for a few turns, koed it with Thunderbolt.

Out came Lucario and down it went it went as I one hit Koed it with Psychic, Togekiss lasted three hits including Cynthia using a Hyper Potion.

Garchomp was sent out, took half my health with Earthquake, Hypnosis, Dream Eater. It woke up on the second turn hitting me with another Earthquake but my powered up Psychic took it out.

I don't remember Roserade but with it being part Poison it was probably one shotted by Psychic.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I don't really remember.

All I remember is that, after the bitch one-shotted my Gyarados, my Staraptor went Super Saiyan on her ass and bombed her Garchomp with Brave Birds until it went down.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Back in Diamond, I used a super-overleveled Empoleon against her Garchomp. Only took one Ice Beam.

In Platinum, I was a little nicer against her, using my on-par Torterra. Wood Hammer's a great move~

Years
I tried so hard without using any legendaries. But it was too much and I dragged Dialga with me. Even then I was lucky enough for that Garchomp to miss the killing hit. Can't wait to fight the mega Garchomp in the Diamond/Pear remakes </3

Drogan

Master of the Cannons
Years
I used my Roserade and my own Garchomp... and a bunch of healing items. I was under leveled.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
I'd like to say I won with masterful strategy but I just grinded my team to the 70s, bought a ludicrous amount of Full Restores and Revives, and hoped for the best, like Cynthia's attacks missing.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
It's been so long since I played DPPt, but I believe it was my Empoleon with Ice Beam that defeated her Garchomp. I'm pretty sure I had overleveled it for it to either outspeed/survive one of its attacks, but at any rate I don't recall having a lot of difficulty with her.

Forrest4096

CRASH
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2016
Well I'll guarantee that my Platinum game said that Surf was super effective against Garchomp, believe it or not. Garchomp being a Dragon/Ground type, it shouldn't be, but it was.
I brought my game from a really dodgy second-hand sale, and it was full of glitches (i.e. shifted map tiles, somehow grass was weak to water, etc).

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
The first couple of tries I was in successful. If I'm honest, I've gotten many lucky crits while battling her. The previous attempts were her KOing many of my Pokemon with her monster of a Garchomp.

Years
I never got to Cynthia in any playthrough so not much to comment. However if I did I would have definitely used some Water-type with an Ice move for sure.

Years
Gosh.. I don't even remember. >.< But I know it took a while. Even with Piplup being my starter I still had a very tough time with her team overall. Ice Beam helped loads against Garchomp but the rest.. not so much, haha. The diversity was great and the music pumped me up even more. Luckily Garchomp had that 4x ice weakness.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
Gyarados + Avalanche.
2 turns garchomp down. would have been one, if garchomp's dragon rush did not miss.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
like I defeat any other. Train one pokemon and neglect all the rest, and than spam attck moves and healing items.

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
I trained my beloved Empoleon to level 100 and beat the entire elite four that way. It wasn't terribly hard but I think it took me a few tries to beat Cynthia.

Back