• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction of the year?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
We don't vote for Fic of the month?
FFotM is chosen by the moderator of the section that feels that the fic in question stands out from the rest of the crowd.

I'm iffy on the voting as well. Seeing the drama that arises on other forums where voting is involved, I don't want to agree so whole-heartedly on something that has a bad track record.

Since I'm heading off to work, I'll have six hours to think about all this and talk it over with my trusted advisers. So I should have a more secure answer later tonight.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 3, 2008
Skii, not female? Get out!

Seriously though...

I say both ideas are brilliant, just bombard Hanako and Oni with PMs, eventually they'll have to give in, or else they face; davy jones locker!

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
Yup.

Also maybe if a fanfic wins in more than one month [If they can] they will automatically beat others.

Seriously, you lot think I'm female?

Lots of gender confusion on forums. XD I got voted for Favorite Female and Male in October once.

Anyway... I don't think they can win more than one month in a row. =o I've looked in the Fanfiction Archive sometimes; never seen two months in the title of one of them.

Years
Lots of gender confusion on forums. XD I got voted for Favorite Female and Male in October once.

Anyway... I don't think they can win more than one month in a row. =o I've looked in the Fanfiction Archive sometimes; never seen two months in the title of one of them.

Lmao.

Didn't people look at other votes?

Thought so.

Nevermind then.

Bay

Years
Well, some years don't even have 12 FFoTM.

I think the most likely reason is because of how there are times the fanfiction forums is inactive and also before we didn't have a moderator for the fanfiction forums for a while.

I am in agreement that for Fanficition of the Year the fanfictions that are chosen as fanfiction of the month (for this year if we were to do it starting this year) can be chosen as fanfiction of the year. As to how...I am in half-half between Hanako and Oni Pichu choosing or having the members vote. This system is kind of like how the show America's Funniest Home Videos did: the funniest videos are chosen each episode and then at the season finale the best video of the season is chosen. (Sorry to use this example but it should give a picture of how the system for this awards might work...also, sorry if no one heard of the show or watched it before ^^;).

However, I think doing it this year is a bit too fast...it is December right now and if the Fanfiction of the Month fics are the ones considered for Fanfiction of the Year, it might be a while for the moderators and members to read through the stories (depending how many of them there are this year). Maybe it is better to wait for next year or something, that way we have loads of time discussing how we want this thing done.

Well, this is just my two cents on it.

Last edited:

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014
I think this is a brilliant idea. Instead of all the FF's being in the competition, maybe just the ones that are in the Fanfiction Archive.

BTW guys, who really need to stop getting so offtopic. xD

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
Ok, forget democracy, I say we cast a vote.

Yes.

Isn't voting democracy?

Anyway, there's still the problem of popularity that DarkPersian stated. Unless, the Mods are the ones voting people will just choose the person they like, as it is highly unlikely that they read all 12 competing fics. As nice as it would be to have a FFotY, there's just too many problems with the idea. I say we keep everything as it is and continue on with our lives. If you want to be known as a great author, go post at SPPf and pray that you get nominated in their awards.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 3, 2008
Friends voting for each other... I don't know, deep down - don't we all hate each other like Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth Swan?

Voting = democracy?

There goes my life.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Anymore offtopic posts, warnings are going to be issued out. TurtleKing, Lord94, and dp876, watch it. All offtopic posts were deleted, and I better not have to delete anymore.

Well, some years don't even have 12 FFoTM.
Since the mods are the only ones who can chose what fics go into the archive, choosing those fics is a tedious task some months. Sometimes, the mod is too busy to read every fic on the board and decide which one stands out. (Which is why there's no FFotM for November, since Hanako was a busy busy English major student...who was taking a course in Geography.) Other months, there are no good fics that are just...bleh.

I talked it over with my trusted adviser when I was in work, but he wanted fruit snacks (Kingdom Hearts fruit snacks even!) and wouldn't give me an answer. So I've been thinking about it and the only sure thing that I've thought of is that the fic of the year should be picked out of the FFotM, and the only reward is a title change. :0

Isn't voting democracy?
Indeedy-do it is.

Back