• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon types you rarely use?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I think on my next playthrough of... Something, I'll try and compose a team with Normal, Ghost, Poison, Bug, Fighting and Ice. Mixing things up a bit, since I've barely ever used any of those.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I don't use Fairy types much. Fairy is probably my least favorite type, and there just aren't that many Fairy Pokemon that I want to use at the moment. I'm planning on using a Slurpuff on a run of Y, though, and I'm quickly growing attached to my new Swirlix, so that may change. I also don't tend to use that many Steel types, Bug types, or Ice types on my in-game teams. I'm fairly fond of ice attacks, but I usually just teach Ice Beam to my starter (invariably a Water type) and proceed with that instead.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I think at some point throughout all of the times I've played through the different games, I've had a Pokémon of at least one of each typing on my team with the exception of the Rock type (not counting challenge runs). No reason why, really. They just never found a place on my teams. I almost said Ghost type as well but lol Giratina was my precious baby in my Diamond run after I caught it.

Although until only a few years back, I'd always restricted myself to always having a fire, water, grass, electric, and flying type on my team which only left one extra slot for whatever else I felt like filling it with. Lately I've been making an effort to be more diverse with my teams.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
    One typing I avoid is Poison, because except few of them, I hate Poison pokemon (including whose who have double type)

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
Years
Hmm, I tend to avoid Ice and Normal type Pokemon, usually. I don't know, Ice type Pokemon seem really fragile to me and Normal type Pokemon just seem really... boring. No word association intended.

Years
For me, Rock and Ice-types.

Rock seems to be one of those types that I slap moves of the type for covarege, such as teaching it to a Fighting or Ground-type. However, with Rockruff and Lycanroc being a thing I may actually be tempted to use a Rock-type Pokemon on my main team for once come 7th Gen.

Ice is also a type I don't use any Pokemon on my main teams, since they are found often so late in the game that I already have an established team by that point, and I usually teach moves like Ice Beam to my Water-types anyway. Alolan Vulpix and Ninetales are making me think otherwise though.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Apr 18, 2019
My least favorite type, actually, is Water.

It's just been the one I used the least. It could just be I never picked the Water starter (not yet at least) and never grew to like it. But I find a lot of Water pokemon uninteresting anyway. I guess that's just me.

I have used Water before with Kyogre. But that's just about it. I do plan to choose Piplup in Platinum (or the DP remakes, if there are some) and replay Hoenn in OmegaRuby with Mudkip. So perhaps I'll change my mind.

Other than that, I don't use Poison much. It just doesn't have many types it's good against and I don't like the way most are designed. Also, Normal and Ghost. Not because they're bad pokemon, I just hadnt found any pokemon of this typing interesting enough to put on my team. Don't use Rock or Ground much either.

Years
I almost never seem to have bugs on my team, even less than fighting. ); And while I looove ice types I hardly seem to use those either (not out of choice, it just ends up that way). Steel, ground, and rock end up meeting the same unfortunate fate lol. By the time I build up my team I end up with the more common water, grass, electric, water, psychic, fairy etc but almost none of those others.

Rain

Years
I don't think I have ever had a fighting type pokemon on my team; there haven't been any that have interested me.

I also don't use Fire, Rock, or Steel types very often.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
I hardly ever use like half the typings. I rarely use:

Fairy
Fighting
Rock
Ground
Poison
Bug
Steel
Dragon
Normal
Dark
Ghost

I generally rotate between using: Fire, Water, Grass, Bird, Electric, Psychic and Ice.

I think I need to start branching out a bit more lol

Mr. Meme

Me? Acting serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Years
Fairy types and Grass types. It's quite simple, really: I just don't think there are that many cool-looking Grass or Fairy types aside from Sceptile, who, in my opinion, is the second most overrated Pokemon besides Scizor.

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
I never use Poison or Fighting types. I just don't really like very many of them, and so I'd rather use other things. I also find myself never using Fairy types; not because I dislike them - that's false - but by the time I stumble across a fairy I like, I already have my team built up. I'm trying to branch out in the coming games, I'll be using a fairy, as well as Ice (Alolan Ninetales) and Rock (Lycanroc), two other types I rarely use

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
Years
I don't use a lot of Poison types. I think they have too many weaknesses in game, so I rarely ever use them. The only exception is Vileplume or Victreebel, but I typically use it as my grassmon in Gen I.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Bug-types. Yuck. I only really like a select few, like Butterfree. I rarely use them otherwise.

Maybe Ice-types too? Or Dark-types? Not because I don't like them, but I dunno. I just don't.

Years
Bug-types. Yuck. I only really like a select few, like Butterfree. I rarely use them otherwise.

But why? Joltik only wants to be you're friend! It buzzes too, I imagine! Think of it like a neck pillow that vibrates my neck hurts at the moment)! And they're so cute! I wish real bugs were as cute...

I don't really use Normal types that often unless they're paired with Flying, but even then, I prefer to utilize something else. Porygon is probably on of the few I would consider using. Normal just doesn't seem as useful. It has no strengths or type advantages, and it has two disadvantages, being Normal cannot hit Ghost Type Pokemon, and Fighting Typre Pokemon and Fighting Type moves are so common it's hazardous out there for a Normal Type. Normal Type moves are also resisted by Rock Type Pokemon as well. No strengths, too many weaknesses.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Sorry, but I think thanks to countless nuzruns I've used at least one mon from each type as of now.

If I was making this post a year ago... Then I will say normal or ice.

Back