• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Pokéwood

Do you like the idea of Pokéwood?

• YES!!!!! I <3 it!

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • No, please go back to contests

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I don't partically care for contests, musicals, etc.

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
Its a play on Hollywood. Movies are made there, you make a Movie in Pokewood. Just Pokemon + Hollywood.

Oh I get it now lol In hindsight you could have just said I was stupid. Thanks lol

Anyway, looks like an interesting feature. Looking forward to hearing more about it

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I'm not really up to date with B/W 2 at the moment, so could you fill me in on this pokewood?

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
I'm not really up to date with B/W 2 at the moment, so could you fill me in on this pokewood?

Basically it's a facility that allows you to make Movies, at the moment the only movie shown that you can make is basically a Tokusatsu movie, aka, think Power Rangers or Super Sentai, you can change the movie's outcome via different dialogue choices and then participate in battles.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Basically it's a facility that allows you to make Movies, at the moment the only movie shown that you can make is basically a Tokusatsu movie, aka, think Power Rangers or Super Sentai, you can change the movie's outcome via different dialogue choices and then participate in battles.

Doesn't sound half bad! Thank you for the reply!

Peeta

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 6, 2014
Pokéwood is a huge improvement over the musicals, which I always thought were very stupid. I will actually participate in them, unlike contests or musicals.

Years
Pokéwood is a huge improvement over the musicals, which I always thought were very stupid. I will actually participate in them, unlike contests or musicals.
Err... *ignores their username...* I always liked the original contests and I agree on your opinion on the Musicals. I actually went into the musicals 5 times, then stopped. I got all the Master Contest Ribbons in my Emerald Post-Game except for the "Smart" one. Then in my Pearl I did the Super Contests and liked how they redid it with these nice, little mini-games and how they implemented the touch screen.
You know, all the sideline stuff involves competition in the Arts. I look forward to the Movies in Pokewood.

Also, they'll probably let us connect on Wi-Fi and let us see each others movies. That'll be fun.

Guy

just a guy
Years
There's only so much we know and have seen about Pokéwood, yet it already looks and sounds a whole lot better than Musicals. I'm pretty excited about it, and I like the idea of being able to create our own Pokémon movies since I'm a TV/Movie addict. On paper, it sounds like it should be a lot of fun. I'm only hoping it's not just a building where we could make our own movies and share via Wi-Fi with the rest of the world though. I'd really like it to be in a contest style where you get scored and compete for something a la Contest Ribbons.

All that being said, I'd totally welcome back Pokémon Contests in a heartbeat! Although, I shouldn't have to worry about that for long if we do get the inevitable RSE remake within the next year or so.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
Musicals were kind of the most passive thing to do in all of the games which had similar stuff, didnt enjoy it much, this pokewood sounds better :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I find Pokewood interesting in that...Hollywood is very West Coast, not New York. I'm kind of wondering if this implies that they think of America as just one big entity, instead of in regions like they think of Japan? If there was anywhere else that would be good for a Pokemon game in the US it would probably be the west coast so them putting this in the games might be a sign that that's it for the US. D;

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
But Hollywood is famously known throughout the world - it's only really Bollywood that has as big a cultural recognition as Hollywood as far as film production goes. Personally, I don't think it's casual racismor xenophobia on the part of Game Freak, but just a coincidence that this idea happened to happen at the same time as a region based on an American city was unveiled. As well as that, the geography of NYC is also probably much more well known than the geography of LA, for example... so I doubt Gen VI will feature an Golden Gate Bridges any time soon! :D

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
What I mean is that this makes me feel like there's no chance of there being another US-based Pokemon game after Pokewood was released, showing that the region isn't New York so much as it is just US in general. So then it wouldn't make sense that they would have more specific US regions, since they decided East Coast and West Coast can be combined into one Pokemon region. :(

Years
What bugged me the most about the musical was the lack of engagement from the player - you choose a Pokémon and the props the Pokémon will use, and under the performance you press one button, once. That's it. The contests in D/P/Pt were more engaging, since you didn't just sit there and watch 80% of the time.
Best of them all was Pokéathlon imo, and I would be surprised if Pokéwood offers a more engaging experience - I'm keeping my fingers crossed though! Different stories depending on your actions sounds interesting.

Cid

Years
What bugged me the most about the musical was the lack of engagement from the player - you choose a Pokémon and the props the Pokémon will use, and under the performance you press one button, once. That's it. The contests in D/P/Pt were more engaging, since you didn't just sit there and watch 80% of the time.
Best of them all was Pokéathlon imo, and I would be surprised if Pokéwood offers a more engaging experience - I'm keeping my fingers crossed though! Different stories depending on your actions sounds interesting.
I definitely have high hopes for the Pokéwood, but then so did I on musicals. I think you do have a good point to tell Game Freak that musicals were subpar from actual interaction and fun value compared to contests. Although I never really tried musicals but just hearing that...I don't think I ever will. I hope Pokéwood gets more thought put into it, there are many possibilities they could pull through with this even though they haven't showed much potential on foreign ground for side games as much. At least recently.

I wonder how they'll integrate enough impact from the player's own actions in the feature especially with translations sometimes restricting these dialogue choices you can usually choose from. I see it would be quite different from the Japanese dialogue since I always thought their own expressions were more versatile. For various situations that you can come up with a movie, for example.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I definitely have high hopes for the Pokéwood, but then so did I on musicals. I think you do have a good point to tell Game Freak that musicals were subpar from actual interaction and fun value compared to contests. Although I never really tried musicals but just hearing that...I don't think I ever will. I hope Pokéwood gets more thought put into it, there are many possibilities they could pull through with this even though they haven't showed much potential on foreign ground for side games as much. At least recently.

I wonder how they'll integrate enough impact from the player's own actions in the feature especially with translations sometimes restricting these dialogue choices you can usually choose from. I see it would be quite different from the Japanese dialogue since I always thought their own expressions were more versatile. For various situations that you can come up with a movie, for example.

To make interactivity really high, they would have to not only have something to set up the movie but some form of interacting during the movie, such as maybe controlling the camera for times or being the director so choosing how the scene is shot (like a "mood" sort of thing that you can change in the show, that affects how people see your movie and Pokemon as the star). If they don't have something like that I think it'll be boring too, because I don't believe the movies they'll make will be interesting enough to want to sit idly through more than a few times.

Years
So that robotic Tyranitar... in space is Pokewood.
Yup. It's the most original idea that Pokemon has created yet. D:/c:/?
Pokewood is mainly (as far as I know) for making movies.
It's also run or he just works there by Brycen. He's an actor!

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
Oh Pokewood that sounds kind of stupid what is it a glorified forest this i-

Oh my goodness this is amazing. It'll probably be terrible but this has so much potential to be incredibly amusing.

Years
Er... yeah!
Pokewood is a play on Hollywood. You know, America's West Coast Movie Making City? I have no idea why but America seems to influence the Japanese who makes the games... Or Europe for that matter.
It does have the potential but I do see why it seems terrible to you. The musicals failed in the previous B&W.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Er... yeah!
Pokewood is a play on Hollywood. You know, America's West Coast Movie Making City? I have no idea why but America seems to influence the Japanese who makes the games... Or Europe for that matter.
It does have the potential but I do see why it seems terrible to you. The musicals failed in the previous B&W.

Well I mean this is the first game set in the US, everything else was influenced by Japan...

You misunderstood the last post. He was saying that he thought it was dumb by the name until he saw more about it.

Back