• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The strongest one???

Years
Hello friends you all might have played Pokemon Heart Gold and soul silver and we know these games features fight from gym leaders of 16 gyms from johto and Kanto so which gym leader you found too hardest to win?

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Jasmine. Steel-types have crazy Defense, and sadly my only special attackers in my team, Feraligatr and Ampharos, were weak to Magneton and were resisted respectively. I had to catch and grind my Growlithe to oblivion to stand a change against her.

Years
It was definitely Blue. My team kept getting walloped by him it forced me to have to transfer my prized Lv100 Swampert from Ruby, who then proceeded to be the badass girl she is and destroy him.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Whitney, probably. Now that I think about it, most of Johto's gym leaders were hard for me in a way or another.

Zaakeil

Budding Beta-Tester
Years
Claire was unfortunately difficult for me because I solo leveled my Typhlosion rather than creating a team... :L
A close second though was Blue, who smacked me pretty hard with his mixed team. Not the best experience, but I did manage to level up quite a few times on him.

Years
Ugh, I remember when I started a battle with Whitney, and I was like, "Lol, that's just a silly cow, it cant be that hard" 20 rollouts later: "Whatever"

IeUaN_08

Researching
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 22, 2014
I got stuck on Whitney too for ages! Biut without doubt is has to be Blue!

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
For me, it was Claire. When I went up against her, all my Pokémon were under-leveled, so she was able to defeat me quite instantly. To get her beaten, I had to do a lot of extra training. It was a pretty frustrating task, honestly. ;o; Whitney was quite tough, too; her Milktank was just impossible to take down, and just as when you're about to, it'd always recover itself with Milk Drink.

Years
For me it'd be either Clair or Blue. Clair because that Kingdra has not only well rounded stats that are all above average, and very powerful attacks (nothing under 135 power), but only one weakness that you probably don't have at that point.

Blue because of his diversity and tactics such as Trick Room with Exeggutor for Rhydon and Machamp, and a Dragon Dance Gyarados thrown in there along with a high level Pidgeot and Arcanine. No one Pokémon of his spells lolwtf, but as a whole it's not the most pleasant of a time.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Ugh ♥♥♥♥ Bugsy's Scyther. I started playing SS again a few days ago. What the hell were they thinking?!?!
"Hey let's add a Pokemon with a 500 BST and high attack stat, AND STAB U-Turn for the second gym! What's the worst that can happen?"

It took some serious grinding and item abusing to beat

Tek

Years
In the old days (Gen II), Bugsy's Scyther, Whitney's Miltank, Morty's Gengar and Jasmine's Steelix were all pretty challenging. Whitney more so than the others because I simply could never figure out a good strategy to deal with Miltank.

When I played HG, though, I didn't have much of a problem with any of them. Golbat, Heracross, Trapinch, and Rapidash assured my victory at each gym, respectively. Although Morty's Gengar did have me on the ropes, the poor success rate of Hypnosis gave me the only opening I needed. Guess I got a bit lucky on that one.

Now, when I get my Japanese SS I might be singing a different tune. The team I'm planning on taking all the way to Mt. Silver is Ekans, Psyduck, Vulpix, and Meowth. Hopefully with excessive use of the disruptive moves Disable, Glare, Screech, Hypnosis, Confuse ray, Will-o-wisp, and Flash, I should be good to go.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
I definitely always had some problems defeating Whitney's Miltank .__. She kinda always was a challenge early in the game. But, I love the Nidoran lines so most of the time I caught a Nidoran in the National Park to KO those Normal-types with Double Kick :3
Clair's Dragon-type Pokemon could be a challenge too sometimes, but when I chose Totodile at the beginning instead of my usual Cyndaquil-choice, I learned him Ice Punch (back in the good old days) :3 Also, every Friday you could catch a wild Lapras in Union Cave <3 Ice-types are great against Dragons so that gave me some more advantages.

Years
for me it was water type gym leader as I only level up fire type it took me lot of time to defeat water type starmie was huge problem and its speed

Years
In the GSC days it would have been Whitney with her Miltank and rollout absolutely dominating my Quilava but in HG/SS it would have been Claire with her Kingdra as i used to teach Typhlosion Thunder Punch to take out Kingdra and since they weren't available at the Department Store in Goldenrod anymore i struggled a tad

Years
I've never had an issue with Whitney or her Miltank, but I always seem to go into battle with Clair unprepared, and have either lost or come close to it on numerous occasions. Her first couple of Pokemon aren't all that hard to dispose of, but her Kingdra was awful. It has boosted critical hits with its ability, it only has one weakness, and when you think you've finally got it on the ropes, it eats its Sitrus Berry.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Whitney was a big pain in the backside especially with Miltank. Claire was also troublesome with her her Kingdra. But overall, the Johto Gym Leaders weren't super hard, but they provided a fun challenge. :]

Last edited:

Abby

#freecoffee
Years
In my ss nuzlocke at jasmine I only had vaporeon fearow and a lv 17 wheezing.
Geodude deals with the first 3 gyms so.

Back