The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Sideshow Showcase

Notices

Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old December 28th, 2010, 12:15 AM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
This is a one-day hack that I just made.
It's of Pokemon Red (U) ROM.

Recently, I've started to learn what RAM is and how to modify the RAM data. I decided to make a little test and changed your own pokemon party by messing with the RAM, and to my surprise, the data was constant (RAM code is usually temporary which would make this hack unreleasable) !

So yeah, I was able to change the pokemon party you've and still with a little more work, changed the first Gary battle in the game.
With research by IImarckus, I too found out that there are three different MissingNo's which don't have glitchy battle sprites (they're actually used in the game already but they're not pokemon to be battled). Their movesets would only have to be modified to make them "working enemies", so I did :D

So basicly, the Red1.sgm is downloadable because it changes the party and starting location in the game when save state is loaded from Slot 1, and the purpose of Red.ips file is the fact, it changes the Gary's pokemon party and the movesets of the three MissingNo's.

Idea of the hack
You're forced to start in Oak's Lab after both you and Gary have received "your first pokemon". If you check the menu, you'll find out the pokemon you have aren't that normal.
If you try to escape the lab, Gary challenges you like he usually does but with three extremely high-leveled MissingNo's with new movesets that never existed. Your mission is to defeat Gary (and possibly pwn all the gym leaders and lance easily after the battle). Notice that Mew should get weaker after it levels up to lv 100 !

Pictures
Spoiler:

How to play the hack
-Patch the "Red.ips" file to a clean "Pokemon Red (U) ROM".
-Rename the "Pokemon Red (U).gb" to "Red.gb". If your computer doesn't show ".gb" in the end of the file name, just rename the file to "Red".
-Open the ROM with VisualBoyAdvance 1.80 (not sure if other versions work, sorry Mac and Linux users but you can at least try if it does), and load save state from Slot 1 by pressing F1 button. You should end up being in Oak's lab and ready for the battle.
-Notice that your ROM (Red.gb) and Red1.sgm files have to be in the same directory for this to work !

Download a zip-file of these two files here or get them separately beneath.
Attached Files
File Type: ips Red.ips‎ (144 Bytes, 896 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: sgm Red1.sgm‎ (8.9 KB, 501 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations

Last edited by miksy91; December 28th, 2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old December 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Neko Keeshi
ub3r l33t n00b

Send a message via AIM to Neko Keeshi
haha, wow. I might have to try this one.

Old January 1st, 2011, 04:26 PM
invix345
Beginning Trainer

i download and it works all right funny to see mew two fighting .
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:33 AM
RyAn123432
Unhatched Egg

How do you patch it plz add me on skype to send me the file :ryan moloney
Old February 22nd, 2014, 04:58 PM
zekdoesmcpe

How do i patch the .sgm into the game itself?
Old February 22nd, 2014, 05:02 PM
miksy91
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekdoesmcpe View Post
How do i patch the .sgm into the game itself?
.sgm = ".save game"

Everytime you use VBA to make a save state, a new .sgm file is either created, or another one is replaced with that.

I've included instructions for playing the hack in the first post. It's pretty self-explanotary I think, but you need both the ips-file and the sgm-file to "do the trick".

Hacks I support

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here